Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 175 1 2 3 4 174 175
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No winners. Lots of sadness and ill feelings to go around. Hate this.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Shades of the 1800's.......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sad deal all around. Prayers for the family.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I very highly doubt the rancher was killed "over a wounded bull".

More likely than not, a person pointed a rifle at the Deputies.

What led up to the altercation is what is the question.

Understandably a livestock owner does not want to lose a large investment.

Also understandably, a Deputy does not want to have another collision, or someone get gored, or trampled by an injured/mad bull, and views public safety issues as more important than property loss.

Neither view point is wrong, but sometimes (especially when in the heat of the moment) people cannot come to an agreement, and bad things occur.

Remember,this happened in rural Idaho.

99% of the rural deputies I know don't even raise an eyebrow when a rancher shows up with a hunting rifle to put a vehicle struck animal down.

Heck, I have witnessed a couple times where a cattleman has asked an LEO to borrow their rifle to put the animal down.

While it was a HUGE policy violation, the cattleman was handed a rifle, the animal was dispatched, and the gun went back in the rack.

Condolences for all involved.

Mackay,

Thanks for a good post and presenting as clear a picture as any of us are likely to have. Bad deal all around. It doesn't even have to be all that rural of Idaho for LEs to expect folks to be showing up with or possessing firearms of one sort or another. Some might consider this akin to stepping back in time when guns were on school busses or in the gun racks of pickups in school parking lots, but it's still a way of life around here.

I'd not even conjecture who was right or wrong in this scenario, I'd just guess things got heated and out of hand. I know there are many on here who have this type of direct experience. I've only come real close one time, and that's enough for me.

PS - for those who don't know Idaho and other places in the West are still open range and it's common to encounter livestock on rural roads.

Last edited by Akbob5; 11/02/15.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Unless someone was near by with a cell phone camera you'll never know what happened......

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
It probably went like this: "What, you aren't shooting my prize bull". "Sir, your bull is attacking people and is dangerous, we are going to have to put him down". As he raises his rifle to the deputies, "Over my dead body" and they obliged him.
That's a lot of speculation. I've lived in cattle country almost all my life and have put animals down myself. I can't imagine very many ranchers thinking twice about putting a "prize bull" down that was hurting folks. He'd have to be quite the [bleep]. And to do a little speculating of my own, his wife probably wouldn't be surprised into a heart attack if the old clown showed up dead and he'd been that much of an [bleep]. She'd more than likely fall over and break a hip from dancing a jig that the [bleep] was dead.

At this point, there's just no telling what happened. Maybe it was all accidental. I can't imagine too many rural Idahoans getting crazy at the sight of a gun-LE included.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To paraphrase, history will be written by the survivors.

but I don't see a bright future in law enforcement around
council for the two LEO's involved. Small town is small town, and people have long memories.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've lived in cattle country almost all my life and have put animals down myself. I can't imagine very many ranchers thinking twice about putting a "prize bull" down that was hurting folks. He'd have to be quite the [bleep]. And to do a little speculating of my own, his wife probably wouldn't be surprised into a heart attack if the old clown showed up dead and he'd been that much of an [bleep]. She'd more than likely fall over and break a hip from dancing a jig that the [bleep] was dead.

Another good synopsis.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When I was a kid we had a dog catcher scandal where it was found that many of the hired hands just enjoyed beating the dogs to death with a length of rebar rather than the usual gassing them to death. At some point in time I formed an opinion that some types of personalities need to be weeded out from certain jobs. I remain convinced that every police officer should have to take a psychological evaluation twice a year to see what frame of mind they are in, officers who develop anger issues, psychopathic issues, sociopaths behavior should be removed from the force. There are many many more good police officers in this country but there are indeed a good number of egocentric little gods with a gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's pretty hard to develop such a test Jimmy. Most people can figure out right away what is being looked for and how to answer in order to fit the desired profile and eschew the undesirable traits.

Psychopaths/Sociopaths are usually continually amazed that it is so easy to put people on. If you ever get the chance, watch the movie American Psycho.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Sure seems like cops are killing a lot more people than say 10-20 years ago. What up with that?
I read a statistic recently that cops in the US kill more Americans in a few months than have all the cops in Great Britain killed Brits in the last one hundred years. Can't vouch for its accuracy, though.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Found a couple of citations which seem to support what I had read.

Link

Link

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are living in a world where every local incident is national news. Twenty years ago you wouldnt even have heard about many of these things if you lived one county over. People do seen more braisen toward LEO and LEO does seem more on alert and rightly so. I agree more to this story.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fugking Subarus.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sure seems like cops are killing a lot more people than say 10-20 years ago. What up with that?

Prove the percentages. Or is it that media loves hyping things and we get our news instantly....all over the world...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody sure flies off the handle without even knowing what really happened. Sheesh!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
Everybody sure flies off the handle without even knowing what really happened. Sheesh!

What fun are the facts?

Conjecture is better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC

You've got that right.

But I think it's very likely that the root cause of the shooting was EGO on the part of one or more of the Combatants.

Maybe all three.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe somebody tripped with a loaded weapon.

You can't tell from the (probably purposely) opaque reports.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rost495

Prove the percentages. Or is it that media loves hyping things and we get our news instantly....all over the world...
I posted citations above. Seems pretty undeniable.

Page 2 of 175 1 2 3 4 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.