24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a classic i dont see is John Burger's 'Horned Death'.....if you like hunter you will like Burger.....burger and Hunter are who i tend to push people to after Capstick or Ruark has hooked them....

whoever said Mellon's 'African Hunter' MOST DEFINITELY!, Boddington's sequal is very good aswell and contains more than just Craigs writings like Mellon sought others to contribute....those two should be in any African hunters library....they cover lots of ground with everything from technical to hunting stories....

harder to find and expensive when you do is 'Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa' by John Kingsley-Heath, but its a must have if you run across a copy....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ok ill shut up now........

this is a favorite subject crazy grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hatari
One that you might not have run across is Killers in Africa by Aexander Lake. Well written and very entertaining. Probably some embellishment in it, but still a good read.

If any of you want something out of the usual, hunt for books by Daniel P. Mannix. Hunting as if told by Ian Fleming.

I initially read "Killers in Africa" when I was about ten years old and was enthralled. Since then, I've reread it dozens of times and never fail to enjoy Lake's stories. Although I suspect that "Killers" is long out of print, a friend gave me a signed copy of it as a gift.

With respect to Daniel P. Mannix, his "Those About to Die" is wonderfully entertaining, although it's an account of Roman gladiators, rather than about hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of good suggestions.
I'll re'read these.
Selous, African Nature Notes and Reminisence (sp)
Patterson, Man Eaters of Tsavo
D Lyell, Memories of an African Hunter
Bror Blixen, African Hunter
Not hunting books but
Beryl Markham, West With The Night
Osa Johnson, Four Years in Paradise
For dog lovers:Percy Fitzpatric, Jock of The Bushvelt.
Newer copies have been PC'd

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
"Karamojo Safari" by W. D. M. Bell.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For a modern author Kevin Thomas is quite enjoyable. Finished one of his books and am presently reading a second, unfortunately do not recall the titles.

For a "noob" I found the Kevin Robertson perfect shot book a very useful read prior to my first African hunt in 2009, so much so that I acquired his revised perfect shot book prior to my second African hunt April / may of this year.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
MEMORIES OF AN AFRICAN HUNTER: Terry Irwin
HUNTING THE DANGERIOUS GAME OF AFRICA: John Kingsley-Heath
MONTHS OF THE SUN: Ian Nyschens
MAHOHBOH: Ron Thoson
BIG GAME AND BIG GAME RIFLES: John Taylor
A GAME RANGER'S NOTE BOOK: A.Blaney Percival
LAND OF THE BLACK BUFFALO: Paul smiles

There are a multitude of good books on Africa hunting. The above are only a small sample of my favorites.

And, Yes, I have read all of Capstick's books and found them entertaining. I met Capstick at a SCI convention several weeks prior to his death, and found him to be very much like his writings, Viz: Entertaining. IMO, he would've been a "hoot" at a party.

Having said that, his writings didn't influence my decision to book my first African safari. That fire was lit when I was twelve years of age, and read MAN EATERS OF KUMOAN by James Corbett. Albiet not Africa, Corbett was my hero. India was out, but Africa was on the horizon. Thirty-eight years later, I was in Zimbabwe on my first safari.

The other books recommended are all good reads as well. If you have the time, read 'em all.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Capstick is IMO the most intertaining and fun. Love reading his books.

IMO Ruarks work is almost without peer from a writing standpoint when it comes to Africa and hunting. I also really like Corbitts books (India though).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI

And, Yes, I have read all of Capstick's books and found them entertaining. I met Capstick at a SCI convention several weeks prior to his death, and found him to be very much like his writings, Viz: Entertaining. IMO, he would've been a "hoot" at a party.

I have a book by the guy that did the handful of videos Capstick did, Ken Wilson, and in it it included some of his correspondence with Capstick......not hard to tell between his books, videos and Wilson's book, Capstick didnt take himself anywhere as close to as seriously as his opponents do/did....im guessing your 110% right, he woulda been alot of fun to sit and BS with....

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
HEAT THIRST AND IVORY by Fred Everett is excellent.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF

For a "noob" I found the Kevin Robertson perfect shot book a very useful read prior to my first African hunt in 2009, so much so that I acquired his revised perfect shot book prior to my second African hunt April / may of this year.

I keep the little pocket book in my truck for my hunters to look through when they have a bit of time. What are the differences on the revised edition?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by GRF

I keep the little pocket book in my truck for my hunters to look through when they have a bit of time. What are the differences on the revised edition?

i think he is talking the big book, not the pocket.....there are two editions of the big book out, i have the second but not the first....

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Marius; the newer version has more current information on bullets, a lot more detail on aging lion and buffalo and details on a few more species including a section on Bongo by I believe Peter Flack.

The book is also divided a bit differently than the first book.

if you want more details please let me know

All the best GRF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF
Marius; the newer version has more current information on bullets, a lot more detail on aging lion and buffalo and details on a few more species including a section on Bongo by I believe Peter Flack.

The book is also divided a bit differently than the first book.

if you want more details please let me know

All the best GRF

Thank you GRF.
You are welcome to either send more info by PM or post it right here. I was just curious about what type of "new" info Doctari has added. I will certainly look into it. Always thought the pocket edition was a little short on some species.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Marius;

Perfect Shot II has:

-expanded discussions on bullets, and updated to include some the high quality newer bullets
-expanded discussion on buffalo especially about determining age
-expanded discussion on lion especially about determining age
-after the dangerous game section there is the glamour antelope section which has added a section on bongo, and separated and expanded the nyala and buskbuck sections
-next sections is the bread and butter species; impala, blesbok (new) and springbok
-other nondangerous game with a ne section on reedbuck
-expanded small antelope section with chapters for duiker, klipsringer, steenbok and grysbok.
- the final part of the book is expanded to include a section on making the perfect shot and is a good discussion on practical shooting.

I think this covers the additions.

Thanks GRF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow, OK. I'm definitely looking into this. I think it was mentioned earlier, this would only be available in the large format and not in the pocket guide?

If pocket guide, it will go into the truck, otherwise, I'll get one for the lodge library.

Thanks GRF. Much appreciated.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
correct its the large version....i wound up with the limited edition, not sure what size the trade edition is, prolly close to the same which is around 10"x12"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

It took me awhile to put together the entire 14 book series, but well worth the trouble.

Last edited by duckear; 01/22/16.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Death in the long grass, Capstick.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
No Man's Land by John Heminway. Not much in the way of blood and guts, but interesting cast of characters.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,812 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.