Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
APDDSN0864- Safari Press has re released Months in the Sun.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
MONTHS OF THE SUN: Ian Nyschens

My all-time favorite African hunting book. Quite unlike most other Africa books.

I'd love to own a copy, but I could buy a new rifle and scope for what they want for a used copy. cry

Ed

I've talked to a few old Rhodesian hands who knew Nyschens, and they all say he was a strange, strange, dude. Loved reading about hunting the Zambezi valley before Lake Kariba swallowed it up.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
1. Horn of the Hunter
2. Death on the Long Grass
3. Short Happy Life of F. Macomber and Snows of Kilamanjaro
4. Teddy Roosevelt's African Game Trails
5. Something of Value
6. Out of Africa
7. Pondoro's African Rifles and Cartridges
8. Edward Stuart Wright's African Camp Fires
9. Boddington's Buffalo
10.John Burger's Horned Death

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Africa's Most Dangerous by Robertson - Best book on buffalo hunting and dangerous game cartridges/bullet performance
When a Crocodile Eats the Sun by Godwin - best book on life in Zimbabwe
The Fear by Godwin - best chronicle of the mess that is Zimbabwe
The Bush war in Rhodesia by Croukamp - Best war memoir
The Last Safari by Bruce VanBuskirk - best behind the scenes look at safari life. After reading this book I fully understood what a pitiful job Martin Pieters did on my first buffalo hunt to Omay
The Perfect Shot by Robertson - best book on African game animals. Take the mini edition on safari for review of shot placement

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have also read many of the books mentioned and I am in fact in the middle of a good Capstick writing at the present, but of all the great books that I have read on Africa, many of them while I was on extended safari on the dark contintent, my hands down all time favorite was this one:

A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa: Being a Narrative of Nine Years Spent Amongst the Game of the Far Interior of South Africa
by Frederick Courteney Selous

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
When I posted "FIREFORCE" I neglected to mention the author, Chris Cocks, and the particulars of the book. This is a true account of an eighteen year old Rhodesian lad's three year service in the Rhodesian Light Infantry (RLI)during the bush war.
And the follow-on book,"SURVIVAL COURSE" is the account of the author's adjustment to a normal life after the war.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most excellent book. At this year's DSC convention, I hooked up with some old Rhodesian War vets that included the association of the Selous Scouts. Reid-Daly apparently wrote another book that will be published soon and I am working with Johnnie Vivier to get copies here in the states.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pondoro's African Rifles and Cartridges
Helped with my selection of rifle for my 95 safari

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
...I have two of Reid-Daly's books: SELOUS SCOUTS Top Secret War, and PAMWE CHETE. Both good.
Another good read: THE ELITE: Rhodesian Special Air Service by Barbara Cole.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Anyone have a copy of "The Art of Tracking" by L. Liebenberg or have ever read that book?

That is supposed to be a very valuable book on African Tracking.

I checked with Amazon, but they are wanting a lot of money for the copies they have - over 8 hundred dollars for a paperback edition and over 4 thousand dollars for a new edition.

I wonder if the book is worth it?

B63

Last edited by BH63; 03/29/16.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
BH6:
If I may suggest a book I think you'll find interesting. It is written by Aubrey Wynne-Jones, and the title is: HUNTING, On Safari in East and Southern Africa. There is a ten page segment regarding tracking. Obviously the book is not totally dedicated to the "Art." However, there is a plethora of good information within the covers of this tome.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
^
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look it up. I have several books on tracking, but the book I referenced above is supposed to be one of the great works on tracking written by a South African and based upon tracking as practiced by the San (aka Bushmen) of the Kalahari.

I have put in an intra-library loan request by another book by Liebenberg on tracking "The Practical Guide to Tracking" (or something similar) and if it is a worthwhile book, I might buy it and review here.

To me, one of the joys of hunting in Africa is to witness the skill of the local trackers. They put most experienced US hunters to shame IMO.

Cheers,

BH63

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I like the old stuff. From the preface to the Finaughty book, "The value, if any, in the following pages, lies in the fact that they give a picture of a time now past which will never return." That about sums it up for me.

These books can be read online or downloaded at archive.org.

The Recollections of William Finaughty

The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter - WDM Bell

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
Mark Twain
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"Buffalo complete their charge." "When you are hunting kudu, the kudu is hunting you."

Quotes from "Practical Tracking", by Louis Liebenberg et. al.

Just starting reading this book and it is a fantastic read both for the tracking knowledge and the anecdotes.

BH63

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"Hunter", by J.A. Hunter.

Last edited by Bob33; 04/06/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Horn of the Hunter and Death in the Long Grass are tied for first in my opinion. They really stir up the juices to hunt Africa.

I have all of Capstick's books, but they are best viewed as Africa of yesteryear.

African Hunter II - Loads of relatively current information on Africa today.

Safari Rifles II by Craig Boddington, useful information, although he suggests you may be under-gunned for the big stuff short of towing around a 155mm howitzer. Still, his theme of simplifying your hunt by bringing only 1-2 guns and using a gun big enough for the largest game you plan on hunting, with the ability to get the bullet into the vitals from tricky shot presentations makes sense in my view.

Another extremely useful book is Perfect Shot Placement on African Big Game by Kevin "Doctari" Robertson should be studied in-depth by anyone who hunts (or dreams of hunting) Africa. I believe there is a second edition of this book out as well as pocket size editions to carry with you on your hunt.

Last edited by kevinh1157; 04/10/16.

Kevin Haile
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A Hunters Story by C.J. P. Ionides (Iodine Ionides)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tag

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Quotes from "Practical Tracking", by Louis Liebenberg et. al.

"Bears often walk in a bubble of silence."

Note: This means birds and other small animals (squirrels, etc) shut up when a bear is ambling through their territory.

BH63

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just finished "African Hunter" by Bror Blixen. It's an excellent account of what pre-WWII East African hunting was like.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
807 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,193 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.