Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I traded into one this week and was wondering what the general consensus is on the BLR's. It was made in 1992 and is in 7mm-08. I'm a big fan of the 7mm-08, and lever actions in general. After a once over of the rifle, there seems to be a lot going on with the mechanics. Are there any common issues with bolts or with the trigger system? Thanks for the info.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bad gun, bad caliber!

send it to Denton, TX and I'll get rid of it proper for you. =P

Just kidding. I have a BLR in .358, and love the 7-08 caliber. Perfect deer gun in my book. Such a pleasure to carry (no bolt handle) and shoot (mild 7-08 recoil).

Only BLR complaint is that the triggers are generally poor, and rare is the competent smith to work on them.

My smith (Denton, TX area) did mine, and the trigger is much better now.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I almost bought a new BLR in 1972 but the magazine protruded just a bit too much for me so I bought this Savage instead.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I almost bought a new BLR in 1972 but the magazine protruded just a bit too much for me so I bought this Savage instead.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

And you never regretted it............did ya?

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trigger's fine on mine. I mean, it's unfair to compare the BLR trigger to a bolt action's but I don't have any issues with mine.

The BLR has to be cleaned from the muzzle. To me that's downside because it's easy for an aggressive barrel scrubber to damage the crown injuring the rifle's accuracy.

Very happy with my BLR overall.

Dan

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad bought two BLR's in the late seventies. A .308 and a .358. I liked both...trigger while not great never stopped any of us from taking the deer we aimed at.

Handy, light, a fine hunting rifle. But then I love all levers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had one in 450 Marlin for a while, very accurate and handy, just couldn't warm up to the caliber

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mine to is a 7-08been shooting it the last month will be using it this season.Shoots good trigger better than some bolt guns I'V SHOT.

Lakeland,Fl.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an early 1980's (second configuration) in 308 WIN - love the rifle, but you do have to practice so you can learn how to shoot well with the heavy trigger - I want to pull the light front end of the rifle down when using a hasty rest.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The rack & pinion mechanism of the lever and bolt needs to be kept clean.
When I lived across our back yards from a gunsmith, one of his customers got his lever gearing to jump in the bolt's rack. The bolt didn't close completely so the rifle wouldn't fire (a good thing). Browning suggests the rifle be returned to them for resetting the gear mechanism, but with Go/No Go gauges, patience, and a lot of time for trial and error, a local gunsmith should be able to do it.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 6 from 22-250 to 450 Marlin including 2 WSMs. Love them all, very accurate for short barrel lever guns.

BORN to HUNT
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Use a bore snake to clean by pulling the brush through. Gave mine to my son, and it was a tack driver. 308 version. I would like to have a 358.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Love my BLR in .358. Knocked down a moose @ 225 yds a month ago. The trigger is a bit rougher than my bolt guns, but with regular use, you get used to it. I would love to get one in 7-08. and maybe a varmint caliber. I really like the feel and balance of the rifle. It feels substantial, but handles fast and accurate. Great brush gun that can reach out a bit when needed.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had several. Killed a lot of coyotes with the .223, super accurate. Killed the biggest blacktail buck with the 7-08. They work, if you like them. I'm a Savage 99 man. No hammers for me.

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a BLR 81 in .243. I had the trigger worked on a little, but it was never very good IMO. I shot lots of called coyotes with it over many years. It was a very accurate rifle in spite of the trigger/long hammer fall. I don't like a rifle that I cannot break down and clean, either.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a few over the years, mostly in 308. The straight grip short action ones just really fit me well. All were 1-1.5" guns with ammo they liked. The triggers weren't great but got the job done. With a low power scope it was one of my favorite woods rifles as it pointed very well for me, like a custom fit bird gun. I'll end up getting another one sooner or later, I think this time I'll get one of the straight grip take down models just so I don't have to clean from the muzzle anymore.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I too have had a few and like the others who have commented, the triggers leave a little to be desired (with the exception of an early perch belly clipped .308). Usually plenty accurate for hunting in general and pretty slick feeding with the ability to have pointed bullets in a lever gun. The 7mm-08 is a fine fit and I think you will like it.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
They are popular being nice to carry but the triggers are generally heavy and that makes shooting well a little tougher. Personally I find the trigger and muzzle light feel hard to shoot well offhand and where I hunt offhand is 90% of your shots for hunting. They are smooth and fast to operate though as long as you never have to take it apart.
They can be a real headache to get back together with the rack engaged on the proper teeth of the pinion gear.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.