Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I ordered several pair of the microtex pants for the first time in 5+ years. They have totally changed the cut, which use to be roomy with no binding, you could move in them. Now they are cut like skinny jeans with no stretch. There is thigh tension with every step, and anything more is almost impossible. What a shame, an awesome pant ruined in the name of fashion. I'm not the lone ranger. The current reviews on Cabela's website are riddled with the same complaint. The actual waist measures 1/2" larger than my old pants, the waist is fine. Its just that the thigh is too tight. The pants have been returned.

Has anybody tried a size up? Obviously the waist would be loose but does it help in the thighs? May have to give it a try.

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
perhaps you added a few pounds to your thighs in the last 5 years?

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Afraid my waist grows at a much faster rate than my thighs. Also, I got out the measuring tape and confirmed what I knew to be true. I don't remember the exact measurements but there is a significant difference in the thigh area. Here are reviews from others, all in 2015, which looks like when the change occured.

Not what they used to be
September 22, 2015
I wanted another pair of these pants because my other pair have been used hard and are showing their age (approximately 7 years of archery and spring turkey use). The new pair is a lighter, cheaper material and the cut is not even close. The thighs are so tight that I can't even sit in my treestand. They will be going back and I will wear my old pair until they fall apart, unless Cabela's brings the old style back. If I had known this, I would have bought a second pair the first time.

Wrong Cut
July 22, 2015
I am 6' 1" 195lbs., and I ordered a Medium-Tall shirt and a 34"-Tall pants in the same pattern. The shirt fit perfectly, but the pants were cut like a pair a skinny jeans; no way could I sit in them, much less even try to crouch or make any sort of hunting movement(s). I sent them back for a refund, and I guess I'll have to keep shopping. I'm normally a huge fan of Cabela's gear, but these pants let me down.

Very nice but a little snug for size
September 17, 2015
I have a 36" waist and ordered the same but found it to be very snug compared to my jeans and 5.11 pants.

Wrong fit for me
June 18, 2015
The fit on these pants are just to constricting for me. Seem to be more of a fashion cut vs a hunting cut. These will be going back. It's to bad because I ordered a tall shirt and it is perfect! But I want them as a set so it goes back to. I do give Cabelas a big thumbs up for having tall sizes so I do not have to buy shirts a larger size to get the sleave length.

Horrible horrible horrible pants
January 13, 2015
DONT BUY THESE PANTS! The cut on these pants is absolutely horrible. The material across the front of the thighs is so tight I can't lift one leg higher than boot height. I think I will get a heat rash on my thighs during the first warm weather hunt due to the constant rubbing of material on my legs. The Microtex materiel is no good for warm to hot weather. I put the Microtex shirt and pants on in my lounge room (around 30 degrees C) and I started sweating! I dont know how cabelas think this is a warm weather pants, I would return these to Cabelas in the US but I live in Australia. Can't say how disappointed I am.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Now they are cut like skinny jeans with no stretch. There is thigh tension with every step, and anything more is almost impossible.

Alot of my old hunting clothes fit like that now.

I suspect my wife is putting them in the dryer....on high heat. Then, she laughs when I try to put them on.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I still have the old pants and wear them regularly. The old pants are not constricting in the least bit. The measuring tape shows the old pants to be smaller in the waste and larger in the thighs (a lot larger in the thighs).

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Shame

Have two pair. Bought five years ago. Really like the camo pattern ( outfitter) and material. Use the from 75 degrees down to low 20's. Warm, breathable and dry quickly and quiet moving through brush

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ribka
Shame

Have two pair. Bought five years ago. Really like the camo pattern ( outfitter) and material. Use the from 75 degrees down to low 20's. Warm, breathable and dry quickly and quiet moving through brush

The quiet part is the prime reason I ordered more, for spot and stalk archery. And speaking of drying quickly, they are practically dry when pulled out of the washing machine. Amazes me every time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That blows. Mine are gonna need replacing in the next year or two.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cabelas have killed several shirts that fit like a glove with new designs and paturns that are not as comformable ..while I understand that to keep selling camo they have to keep addding/changing paterns but the old standard the "cabelas outfitter camo" is still my favorite but it is increasing harder to find it in clothes my size (tall 2x).

Last year I bookmarked several camo shirts I liked but are constantly out of stock, once a day I would click the link to check and after 3 months I found 2 in stock. I am gald I bought them both because they have not been available in the 9 months since....

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka pants are cut tight in the thighs too. Built for girly men I suppose.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bellydeep

I know what you mean, but at least Sitka's stretch. My main beef with them is that they are too noisy. I know most will argue that they are quite enough, but not enough for my preference.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think it is what is called "quality fade" seems to be the norm for Chinese made goods. Make things smaller to use less material or slowly go to lighter and lighter materials. Anything to make a few more pennies per unit.

Cabela's needs to up the QC and inspect every shipment.

I cant get into the stretchy pants thing either. I would look like Nacho Libre ( Jack Black as a wrestler) in them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sitka decent stuff but too noisy moving through brush , aspen sage

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cabelas screwed up when the dropped the Microtex lite line. Those were awesome bowhunting pants. The Supertec line is ok for hot weather, though not durable. I do really like the couple pairs I have for bow season though. I haven't tried the 2.0 version, but the Kanabs from First Lite are good pants if you exclude the pockets from consideration. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have cargo pockets with NO fasteners of any sort should be fired.

RLTW
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
I cant get into the stretchy pants thing either. I would look like Nacho Libre ( Jack Black as a wrestler) in them.

Beneath the clothes you find the man, and beneath the man you find........his nucleus......

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
IMO all hunting pants should have a cargo pant type cut. No need for skinny jeans in the game fields

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The skinnier jeans are better for hiking through dense brush. Less material flapping around to get snagged on something.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Most guys who drop the coin for sitka pants are in pretty good shape.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin

I'm in great shape, a hole. But I lift, and squats will give you quads. So....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The lesson here is, if you find an item of clothing that you really like, buy another one right away. Keep one in reserve or rotate them to make them last longer.

American companies that rely on foreign suppliers are constantly looking for a better deal and "quality fade" may just signal a switch to a cheaper vendor, or the same vendor going cheap at the end of a contract.

The other problem is that people inside companies feel that they have to be constantly dinking around with stuff to justify their jobs. The dinking doesn't always result in a better product.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The lesson here is, if you find an item of clothing that you really like, buy another one right away. Keep one in reserve or rotate them to make them last longer.

I agree, and buy a lot more than one if possible.

For kicks I am about to order a larger sized waist and see if the cut in the thighs will better. I have my doubts that overall fit will be sufficient, but can return them too if need be.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The skinnier jeans are better for hiking through dense brush. Less material flapping around to get snagged on something.

I agree with this and prefer a trimmer cut but, only with 4 way stretch material, due to my build. Another side note - my Marmot, Kryptek, and Kuiu pants are all quiet enough for me to bow hunt in, too.

The old style microtex is too baggy for me, though they are much quieter than anything short of wool or fleece.

Hands down favorite pants were the old Sitka Mountain Pants which are of course no longer made.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just got a pair of LL bean whipcord wool pants. They have a nice roomy fit. I expect to get many years of use out of them. The Bean pants are about the last ones left.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I'm in great shape, a hole. But I lift, and squats will give you quads. So....

You are the one calling guys who fit into sitka pants "girly men". You can be in excellent shape, at your ideal body weight for hunting, and have plenty of room in the skinnier cut of pants. I love my first lite hunting pants. It doesn't get cut any skinnier that that.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mountain Hardware "Piero" pants are what I replaced my old-school Micro-tex with. No, they're not quite as quiet. But, they fit very similar to the old ones. They have a bit of stretch and are virtually the same regarding what temp ranges they work well in, including using the same base layers at the same temps I was used to. They've got a pretty functional DWR coating as well.

I say again, they are NOT as quiet as Micro-tex though.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The old style is a bit baggy, but it's nice to have room for heavy fleece under them when it's cooold.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I wear a 35/36 waist. Ordered the 38s and they fit acceptably. The legs are not as free as the previous generous cut but much better than the 36's. Regarding the oversized wasit, I can slide them off buttoned and zipped but a belt can fix that I recon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I wear a 35/36 waist. Ordered the 38s and they fit acceptably. The legs are not as free as the previous generous cut but much better than the 36's. Regarding the oversized wasit, I can slide them off buttoned and zipped but a belt can fix that I recon.

Try suspenders. IMO, they work better.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take them to a seamstress and get adjustable button tabs on the waist then add suspender buttons while your at it.

If I ever wear out what I currently have I am going for the First Light Merino wool Pants.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,274
Posts18,448,369
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.