Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10658460 11/04/15
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am done elk hunting for the year. Time to start saving money / researching / breaking in a new pair of boots. I have hunted in Lowa Tibets for the last 5 years, and they have served me well. They aren't done yet, but I need a second pair of boots. I also have a pair of Schnee's Pac boots for cold weather and snow.

What I'm looking for:
1. Stiff, or at a minimum a good boot for some rough terrain, heavy loads, backpacking, etc. I will wear them climbing over boulders at 10,000 ft, with a 110 lb pack full of meat, etc. I don't hunt from a pickup, and I am not talented enough to shoot animals near roads.
2. About an 8 or 10 inch boot
3. I would prefer a waterproof liner.
4. Non-insulated. If it's cold enough for me to want an insulated boot I usually go with my pac boots.
5. If possible a quiet boot. I continually need to work on being quieter in the woods, especially while climbing over deadfall.

Leading candidates:

Kenetrek Mountain Guide
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme
Lowa Tibet GTX Hi
Others?

I hunted with a damn fine elk hunter this year that recommended La Sportiva Glaciers.

Anyone with experience with Kenetrek Mountain Guide boots? I see they have Mountain Extremes and Mountain Guide versions. The Guide version says it has a stiffer midsole. Any input on them?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Danner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First off I like your line about not being talented enough to shoot animals near the road. 2 trips to haul my elk 2 years ago cam in just under 11 miles.

While not on your short list, I have been wearing Lowe Renegades and been real happy. From day hikes here in NM to extended multiday backpacks in NW Wyoming I have been pleased. Spent a weekend serious sidehilling and glassing for bears this spring up near Jellystone, lots of support and very impressed with the boots. Kind of like your comment noted above, I don't seem to be smart enough to carry a light load when backpacking.

I am in process of breaking in my back up and working with Cableas Meindl Perfekt Hunters, made in Germany. Aside from some of the negative reviews, so far I have been pleased. The real test will be an upcoming hunt later this month.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scarpa Triolet

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hanwag!

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i'm partial to the kenetrek's

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's surprising to see Renegades recommended given your parameters. I have some, and they're really comfortable but much too soft IMO for boulders, rocks, and heavy loads. If I could get Triolets to fit my feet, that's one I'd check out. I can't, so Hanwags for me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the tibets for quite awhile now, I got some kennetreks insulated and like them better.

By the way if you are hunting the rough stuff when it's cold you really should try the insulated hiking boots. I used to use pacs too when it was cold. I'll never go back after trying the insulated kennetreks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I love my kennetreks. It was tough to spend the money on them but it was well worth it.

N
N
Scarpas are great. I'd also recommend Crispi boots, very similar to kenetrek but at least for me fit my feet a little better and have held up extremely well.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You Kenetrek guys don't find the boots too heavy? I am considering a pair of either Mountain or Hardscrabble and was wondering.

Not interested in anything made in Vietnam or China, etc

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Kenetrek, hands down. Heavy???? Never noticed or had a issue with that.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sierra Trading Post has Triolets right now. I have a mountaineering buddy who recommended I order a half size larger than normal; I'll try them out.

I may end up with some Kenetreks also this year.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kennetreks! They aren't quiet or light but worth their weight in gold on slopes and with weight.

Durable too. I'm on my 2nd year with a pair of boots, which is a record for me.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
danner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a Russell moccasin guy. They will build them to your specs. I have a high country hunter with extra ankle support and cut off at 10". With three layers of leather they are water proof. Pricey, but they fit like a glove. . And I have 8 ff feet - wider than they are long!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Sierra Trading Post has Triolets right now. I have a mountaineering buddy who recommended I order a half size larger than normal; I'll try them out.

I'm on my second pair now (Triolets) and order the same size I wear in other shoes, FWIW. My first pair made it through around 15 critters worth of hunts so money well spent in my book.

Tanner

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Danners for years but the last two seasons have been Lowa and I have been impressed. Partner uses Kenetrek and I honestly don't see much difference besides $100 in price after two years of hard use.

Brad Watkins Custom Knives
www.facebook.com/watkinsknives/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Kenetrek Mountain Extremes just finished their 4th CO elk season and have been deer hunting even more. After wading through several streams last month, they have remained waterproof. And, I don't find them heavy at all. The soles probably have another 3 or 4 years left in them and they still look great. I also have a pair of their Grizzly pac boots for late season or snowy conditions and I'm very pleased with their comfort. However, like most pac's they are heavier boots.

Last edited by Biggs300; 11/05/15.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

I'm on my second pair now (Triolets) and order the same size I wear in other shoes, FWIW. My first pair made it through around 15 critters worth of hunts so money well spent in my book.

Tanner

Thanks Tanner. Good to know the normal sizing works for you. I'll try the 10.5s out, and send them back for 10s if they don't fit right. I think they were $160 cheaper from STP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.