Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Hanwag!

I have been wearing the Tatra Top GTX. Like the lacing system and they don't require alot of breakin.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have been using Red Wing Elk Stalkers 200 grain for a couple or 3 years. Durable, price reasonable, and comfortable. No complaints, other than made in china, pretty solid performer

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a pair of Scarpa SL M3's. If the Triolet's are similar, they are a great boot for carrying a load on rough ground. I can't imagine anything better. I wore Danners for years and thought they were good boots but they don't hold a candle to the Scarpas when it comes to packing a load through the mountains. They are stiff! The toe never bent on mine until I had a load of venison on my back.

The SL-M3's were sold in two widths and the wider one works for my big feet. I do wish they had higher tops and when I replace these I will probably look at the Kenetreks since they are similar construction with higher tops. Kenetrek also has more wide sizes.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My personal requirements match yours. I found most boots to be be far too stiff and heavy. I ended up with Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. Could not be happier. Just used them for their 4th elk season.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hardscrabble hikers are good, I've been using mine since '11. They're starting to show their age/use but are still comfortable.

I've also got 2 sets of Cabelas/Meindl Alaskan Hikers. 1 set I've also owned since '11 and the others have been broken in and basically salted away for someday when I wear out the 1st set. They're as good, if not better than the Kennetrek's and are basically the same ~8" boot w/Gore-tex and no insul. They're stiffer than the Kennetrek's.

I bought a set of Cabelas/Meindl Denali's this year and they're far less stiff than the Alaskans and so far appear that they'll last a long time and remain comfortable but I've only got ~30Mi on them.

20yrs ago I was a huge Danner Proponent. Anymore I won't even buy their "Made in the USA" stuff unless it's on super-clearance. They don't use anywhere near the quality of materials that they used to. Much like the OP, when I need insulation I wear Schnees pacs, but I've still got a ~18yr old set of Danner Canadians w/Duratherm insulation (pre-Thinsulate) and they're made of significantly better leather than anything they offer today. Probably the reason those boots are still in great shape and still comfortable and waterproof.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scarpa Triolets here.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I ended up with a pair of Triolets. I know the Kenetreks are really, really good, but Sierra Trading Post had the Triolets. I got them for something like $225, half the price of the Kenetreks. For that price they deserve a shot! I'll know what I really think of them in two or three years.

The boots in my elk camp this year were:

A pair of White's
A pair of Kenetrek Extremes
A pair of Triolets
A pair of La Sportiva Glaciers
A pair of Lowa Tibets (mine)

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I too ran the Lowe Renegades a while back, very comfy, but soft souled on rough ground and I found them to be very slick on wet terrain.

I tried the Crispi Nevada's 2 years ago and I'm still wearing them this season as well. Hands down the most comfortable boot I have ever tried on with absolutely zero break in period. I would definitely replace these boots with the same when the time comes. But they are insulated ever so slightly though. Hunting down in Utah in August was warm, but last November in Montana with way below zero temps my feet never got cold in them, proper socks are a must though in any conditions.

I too have a pair of Schnees packs here at home, but I can't tell you the last time that I have hunted in them though.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always had great luck with Danner's but heard great things about Kenetrek

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am on my 3rd pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabbles. They are a good boot. My first two pair didn't last 2 or 3 hunts before they came unbonded. They seem to have figured it out now. I spend about 250 days a year in hiking boots. I rotate as much as possible. IF I use one pair for the whole year, that is all they last. I had my Danner Santiams recrafted and am wearing them. If I can find someone to resole my Meindl Alaskans, I will get them into the rotation.

I used my Schnee uninsulated pack boots during the archery elk hunts this year, quiet and give the heavy boots a break.

I have worn out two pair of Meindl Canadas- definitely the best boot Cabelas has ever sold. I find that they are too high for my comfort unless I am really packing a heavy load. I prefer 8" boots to the 9s and 10s.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
White's hunting/hiking boots are a great leather waterproof boot with a great sole.

I broke in a pair of Asolos this summer and hunted some this Fall in them. They are a great boot. I have a leather pair and a pair with nylon/leather. The hybrid shoes are the ones I broke in this summer and hunted in recently. Great boots but susceptible to getting wet on the exterior with the nylon and then getting cold. I just need to treat them with silicone to shed the snow and water better.

Either of these boots, Whites or Asolo, would fit the bill.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I am on my 3rd pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabbles. They are a good boot. My first two pair didn't last 2 or 3 hunts before they came unbonded. They seem to have figured it out now. I spend about 250 days a year in hiking boots. I rotate as much as possible. IF I use one pair for the whole year, that is all they last. I had my Danner Santiams recrafted and am wearing them. If I can find someone to resole my Meindl Alaskans, I will get them into the rotation.

I used my Schnee uninsulated pack boots during the archery elk hunts this year, quiet and give the heavy boots a break.

I have worn out two pair of Meindl Canadas- definitely the best boot Cabelas has ever sold. I find that they are too high for my comfort unless I am really packing a heavy load. I prefer 8" boots to the 9s and 10s.
Have you contacted Hoffman boots about resoling the Meindl's?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Try Davepagecobbler.com he resoles all sorts of mountain boots. Maybe he can resole your Meindls.

I have the Cabela's Meindl/Perfekt Extremes and really love them. I hunted 37 days last year in the mountains and never had a problem. I'm using them this year and still loving them. The only thing I don't like is the Vibram type sole has big flat lugs on the toe, and in deeper snow I tend to slip when pushing off. No biggie I'll just switch to the Schnees Elk hnters with the Air-bob Claw soles when the good snow comes. I like the Perfekt Extremes and they're about $100 less than the Kenetreks.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Kulien boots are by far the best. hand made by a true craftsman. All the assembly line stuff is junk in comparison.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can anyone elaborate on the Scarpa Triolet in snow? I hunt mid-October CO and we get snow on occasion. It is the exception not the rule.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have Kennetrek Mountain Extreme and they are stout but they just don't fit me right.

Kennetrek Hardscrabble Hiker they fit better but not quite all the way right.

Zamberlan that I bought through Lathrop and they don't work either.

I have Danner Ridgemaster for just knocking around in and they are more comfortable but not nearly the kind of boot I want for the mountains.

My problem is that a D width is too tight for my left foot and anything wider is too wide. Most boots pinch the area of the ball of the foot while my heel slides up and down.

In my experience, I think that the Kennetrek boot is built tougher that the Zamberlan and if they fit you they are a good way to go.

I need to find a boot maker that will make a boot that is built to my true foot shape through some form of real custom fitting. Anyone know if the Russell boot can be fitted that way?

Bill

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Kennetrek Hardscabbles have been comfy since day one, only had them one season(this season)and I am happy. Found them on amazon ,after I tried on a pair for 260.00 and was even happier.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Kulien boots look it up and stop waiting your time. danners should be air dropped in enemy territory as a way to cripple them with out firing a shot.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by forpest
I'm a Russell moccasin guy. They will build them to your specs. I have a high country hunter with extra ankle support and cut off at 10". With three layers of leather they are water proof. Pricey, but they fit like a glove. . And I have 8 ff feet - wider than they are long!

You must be a great swimmer with those feet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 264mag, 160user, 2500HD, 67 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.