Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Question for the engine guys: Is there any reason why the big companies like Polaris, Honda, and Yamaha couldn't make a 600-1,000cc UTV that was as quiet-running as your typical pickup truck? I mean, are there inherent attributes of those water-cooled UTV engines that make it to where they can't be quieter without huge losses in power? Seems like I've been around some touring motorcycles that had more engine exposure and bigger displacement than your typical Polaris Ranger, but were much quieter.

I ask because I hate the noise levels associated with UTV's during deer season. I'd buy one if it wasn't so dang loud. We quit using them on our place around September of each year and just use Toyotas and Jeeps with mud tires. A truck can almost sneak up on you, but a UTV/ATV can be heard from a half-mile away. Sure seems like a product need is there for us hunters, aside from some bolt-on silencer kit that makes little difference.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just recently purchased a new 2016 Yamaha Viking VI Ranch Edition. Was also concerned about noise levels for fall hunting, so having one of these installed before I pick up the new UTV. Quite an improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjTXvxh8rE4

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A friend has one of these for hunting, can't beat it for quiet:

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-utv/ranger-ev-polaris-pursuit-camo

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Running the yota in a group of 4-wheelers and side by sides this year, the first thing you notice was the lack of noise from the yota. I never thought about it before that, but now I'm wondering the same thing as you.

I was also surprised by how much more fuel a 550cc wheeler burns compared to a 22re.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of obstacles to over come yet, but I think this is where electric ATV's will eventually shine.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
External clutches and belts on so many of the present rigs don't help with the noise thing. I would imagine multi-cylinder engines to reduce the needed size of individual cylinders would also help. Of course that gets into more weight and expense, and torque loss - which isn't desirable in 'small', light rigs.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can help a lot by going slow. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An electric plugged in to a quiet Honda generator on the rear would take you a long ways.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, except the vehicle cannot be charged while running. It has to be turned off.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder who thought that one up. Hybrid cars charge as they go as do some electrics with auxiliary motors just for charging.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Running a generator to keep your electric vehicle going. There is a joke in there somewhere, and I think it might end with "...you might be a redneck.".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
An electric plugged in to a quiet Honda generator on the rear would take you a long ways.

If you want to go that route, you'd be better off just repowering the ATV with one of the smaller Honda engines and a more elaborate muffler system. Multiple energy conversions aren't going to help - nor is a Honda generator going to be quieter than the direct powered ATV of similar horsepower anyway.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
bad boy buggies has a hybrid utv that looks interesting. The 570 ranger is noisier than I would like it to be, but sure is fun.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One of the hunters on my lease has one-does not recommend it.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ride a Yamaha Rhino 700, a couple of friends ride Polaris 800 and Razor (whatever the name is), and another rides a Kawasaki side by side. All are loud.

The quietest are the Can Am Commander 1000 side by sides. A couple of hunters I know have these machines, and when they ride past our campsite, the sound is similar to a very small car. But I like mine better, since I can't afford one of the Can Am machines wink

This is a good website to look at if you are planning to buy a side-by-side. All the data about your machine, compared to the rest, is shown:
http://www.utvguide.net/utv_comparison.htm

Last edited by Ray; 11/15/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

51 members (2500HD, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, BALLISTIK, Anaconda, 6 invisible), 1,192 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,121
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.