Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Granddaughter just emailed me and would like to get a 20 gauge youth. My first thought would be a Remington 11-87 youth. Some say the Weatherby 20 gauge youth is also very good a less than the Remington. Any input would be appreciated and also best price to purchase vendor.

GB1

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Remington is indeed more costly but they are made in the USA. And picking up a full length buttstock when she grows and/or longer barrel would be simple.

Weatherby's are made in Turkey. So are Tri-Stars and I think some of the shotguns imported by Legacy. All are available in youth models and probably the 'muddy pink' versions that young females (like my Granddaughter) are attracted to.

Any one of these will hold up fine for a youth-in-training amount of shooting including clay target shooting at the club league level. If/when she gets into another level of clay target shooting then you move up to the next level of shotgun.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am going through this exact same thing right now. My boy is 12 and wanting to start waterfowling with me. I have looked at almost everything out there that's offered in compact form.

I haven't found anything that has any kind of fit or finish for less then a grand. I did like the Weatherby pa-08, but I think that we are going to spend the money on a benelli montefeltro combo. It comes with both a youth stock and adult stock.

Or if I can find a youth stock for their M2, that benelli says will fit my sbe2 I will do that.

I really wanted to like all the 200-400 guns, but they are horribly put together.

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mossberg or Remington pump guns are available in price point youth versions for ~300 bucks. The finish on these can indeed be sub-par. I think both had versions with stock spacers included that could take into account the kids growing quickly and needing longer length of pull. Browning made a micro 20 gauge version of the BPS pump that was much better finish and a very nice gun.

Might want to look for a used Remington 1100 in 20 gauge. With a shortened stock as they are sometimes found in racks for under 400 bucks. My two sons grew up shooting these. Parts, additional buttstocks, and barrels readily available. Just note that there were two different frame sizes for Remington 1100 20 gauges and the barrels are not interchangeable. You'll probably want to stick with the LW version (smaller 20 gauge frame).

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have an old Franchi 620 that is new in the box, put back for my kids. It's the old reverpress, that allows it to shoot light or heavy loads depending on how you have the piston installed. Seems about perfect to me.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How old is she? How much recoil can she take and how strong are her arms?

Pump guns have more recoil than gas operated semi-autos. BUT because semi-autos generally weigh more, they can be hard for little ladies to handle swinging. Then again, getting a super light semi-auto (Franchi) means they kick more again.

BEST thing to do, is get her to a range that will let you shoot several different guns. The more comfortable it is for her, the more she will want to do it. I know this is not a simple answer, but could make things much more successful for you.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
She is 23 and although petite she is pretty strong. She uses a Savage 99 308 for Deer. She only about 65 miles north of Paso Robles where Weatherby is so she is going down there to look at some of their SA-08 compact 20 gauges. While there I told her to check out their Vangard .compact rifle in 7mm-08

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think she would handle the 11-87 well with what you mention. I have no experience with the SA-08, but I am pretty sure this is a gun made in Turkey on contract for Weatherby

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Yes the 08 is made in Turkey but it has very good reviews. Looking at both the 11-87 and the 08. Her husband is buying it for her so I think price will also be a consideration. I prefer the 11-87 but the the choice isn't mine.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 1187 will need no adjustments or piston switching around to go between light and heavy loads. The SA08 is made in Turkey but the quality is there believe it or not. It's a copy of the beretta 303. It's lighter and I believe they have a chromed bore. For the price they are a very good gun. I want one in 20 for a walking gun because the weight is so light.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you can find one on the used market, look for a Beretta 391 youth 20 gauge. It has a reduced length stock and a 24" barrel. My daughter did very well with the Beretta.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,241
Posts18,466,784
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.