-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A couple years ago one of my hunting partners was busted up pretty good on his horse. He and his wife get LOTS of trail time but sometimes accidents happen. They'd encountered a group of boy scouts on bikes on a steep side hill section of the trail. The boys politely stopped and pulled their bikes off the trail. As they went by on the horses, Jerry's horse stepped a few inches off the trail and the edge collapsed under a hind foot. The horse went down the embankment 6 or 8' and Jerry took a HARD fall, hard enough that the scouts got a chance to use their 1st aid training while one of them rode to the trailhead to call for help. They finally got him out by helicopter.
He recovered ok but it took a while. He had a double hip replacement some years ago and they were afraid that the muscles had pulled loose from the metal. Also he damaged a vertebra in his neck. He hurt a lot for quite a while. He was able to hunt with us that fall and did get his deer but he couldn't hunt alone. He wasn't able to dress it alone as he couldn't lift enough to move it at all. My llamas got another pack trip getting it out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Best thing about an equine vs a wheeled vehickle is the equine won't fall over or run into a tree if you let go of the steering wheel.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Best thing about an equine vs a wheeled vehickle is the equine won't fall over or run into a tree if you let go of the steering wheel.
I've seen horses run into trees even when you're white knuckling both the steering wheel and the grab bar. Why don't saddles come with roll cages? crazy

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm posting this with the hope hunters will be aware they aren't being give trained saddle horses.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

When I was outfitting we had a written disclaimer that was required to be read and signed by each hunter before they could do anything. It started like this, "Horseback riding is an inherently dangerous activity" and on to basically say that the Outfitter could not be held liable for any damages. I would have never even considered putting a client on an unknown animal. Our "Dude stock" was so dead broke that they would never even consider bucking. They knew that took extra energy and they needed all they could get for what lay ahead!
Saddle mules are the real way to go. I want one this next year hopefully. I have two great old geldings that are 20 now, and would like to switch them over to strictly just packing or a dude friend now and then maybe.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever notice how toward the end of a hunt some guys have come to absolutely hate a horse while others have grown fond of it like they would a dog - and it's the same horse.

I think it says more about horsemanship and the character of the man than about the horse.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by nathanial
You climb up into a saddle "you" take your chances, period.

Don't like horses, never did.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here is a question on the horse subject:

I know it isn't "the cowboy way" or "cool" to wear a helmet, but how many outfitters offer a helmet?

any time I get on a horse I wear my helmet but I know a lot of people don't, just not sure if the option is really offered on these western hunts

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Helmet probably not offered on a hunt. Most guys wear orange hats,not too many orange helmets. I did have an old friend that wore a orange hard hat. That was before helmets were used for riding. He rode a 16 hand mule. I offer helmets when I take out my wagon trains. If they refuse the helmet they have to sign that they refuse to wear it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think breakaway stirrups are a lot more important than a helmet.
Google STI break away stirrups

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by blairsvillexdave
Friend of mine got thrown off a horse near Craig, CO. The way I'm hearing it the horse thru him about 12 feet. Several broken ribs and in the hospital for about 3 weeks. I think he got to fly back to GA in the last few days. Most of the CO hunting accidents I hear about Elk hunting involve horses. I guess the people that provide these basically wild horses don't have any liability? I'm posting this with the hope hunters will be aware they aren't being give trained saddle horses. Dave

We need to ban horses on back country elk hunts.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

That would have saved me a world of hurt, for sure. Never knew they even existed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Tim_B
Here is a question on the horse subject:

I know it isn't "the cowboy way" or "cool" to wear a helmet, but how many outfitters offer a helmet?

any time I get on a horse I wear my helmet but I know a lot of people don't, just not sure if the option is really offered on these western hunts

Been bucked off, fell on many times in my life by horses and a few mules, I have yet to land on my head.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_s_s

Been bucked off, fell on many times in my life by horses and a few mules, I have yet to land on my head.

You lucky bastard....grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by xxclaro

That would have saved me a world of hurt, for sure. Never knew they even existed.

After one incident where my mule fell,I was hanging upside down ,with only my shoulder touching the ground,hung up.Lucky my mule did not bolt andmy hunting paed w asclose.
It took me a year of me telling myself I could not afford them to make me change my mind that I darn well better get a set.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by xxclaro

After one incident where my mule fell,I was hanging upside down ,with only my shoulder touching the ground,hung up.Lucky my mule did not bolt andmy hunting paed w asclose.
It took me a year of me telling myself I could not afford them to make me change my mind that I darn well better get a set.

I may have to look at getting set

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by m_s_s

You lucky bastard....grin

Yeah Sam I am lol. I am getting so stove up it is easier to fall off a horse than get off lol. Missed getting a nice bear this year cause I was to slow getting off, but my pard saved the day. He is younger lol. Was riding back to camp and spotted this bear tearing up a stump about 50 yards off the trail, she was faster than me lol. She made a fatal mistake though, she stopped and looked back and Don nailed her. She damn good eating lol.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are other brands of break away stirrups on the market for a lot less money. I can't comment on how well any of them work if needed.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are other brands of break away stirrups on the market for a lot less money. I can't comment on how well any of them work if needed.

True. I looked at them all, and these seemed to be the best made for function. Plus they are a bit oversized and fit hunting boots well

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll have to take your word for it. Fitting a big, warm boot does count for a lot, though.

― George Orwell

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 62 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,273
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.