Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
OP Offline
B
Friend of mine got thrown off a horse near Craig, CO. The way I'm hearing it the horse thru him about 12 feet. Several broken ribs and in the hospital for about 3 weeks. I think he got to fly back to GA in the last few days. Most of the CO hunting accidents I hear about Elk hunting involve horses. I guess the people that provide these basically wild horses don't have any liability? I'm posting this with the hope hunters will be aware they aren't being give trained saddle horses. Dave

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Liability? I can't imagine any insurance co. writing a policy against being tossed from a horse. There's no such thing as a 100% safe horse. Even the best training can't eliminate the chance of an accident.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Never a chance the rider could have been at fault.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
'basically wild horses' LMAO...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
greenhorns.....sheesh

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Registered just in time to post this "warning" how nice! Gotta love the "why should I be responsible for my own actions, its somebody elses fault".

Being out in the wilds comes with some inherent risks, if you cant accept that stay home in your bubble! Then it wil be less crowded for the rest of us.

There, Im done with my rant. Enjoy this fine day.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You take chances getting on a horse,in a car, on a 4wheeler, or out of bed. It's an unsafe world.

"Basically untrained saddle horses"? Outfitters/guides want to insure a clients safety as much as the client. One accident + one good lawyer can put a guy out of business.

A buckoff netted me $15K worth of hospital costs, caused by a dumb move on my part. But I still rather ride than walk.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Colorado law limits liability of equine accidents because of the inherent dangers. Every business that uses equines has this posted on their premises.

Sombrero Ranches rents a few thousand horses every year across northern CO. Some darn good, some so-so and some questionable. If you don't have experience with them or are not going to have someone along that does, it's best if you stay on foot.

More danger is involved driving that 1500 miles to the hunt area than there is on a horse.

Of course, I ride mules and that takes the stupidness out of the equation that many horses seem to have . A person does have to be smarter than the mule though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Colorado law absolves Outfitters from any liability involving accidents with horses of any kind. Every hunter that signs with an Outfitter has to sign an agreement that they understand they can get hurt. This year we had three horses slip in the mud and actually fall on one hunter. He was luckily unhurt. Sorry that your friend was hurt though.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I believe 7 western states passed the equine law many years ago, because Ins rates were going through the roof and putting horse riding co's out of business.
The Wyoming equine liability provisions immunize equine professionals by declaring that those who engage in equine activities or any recreational activities assume the inherent risks in the sport or recreational opportunity.
(a) Any person who takes part in any sport or recreational opportunity assumes the inherent risks in that sport or recreational opportunity, whether those risks are known or unknown, and is legally responsible for any and all damage, injury or death to himself or other persons or property that results from the inherent risks in that sport or recreational opportunity.

(b) A provider of any sport or recreational opportunity is not required to eliminate, alter or control the inherent risks within the particular sport or recreational opportunity.
Part of the law.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I did recently read a hunting report where I believe 3 hunters on the same trip were injured due to horses. The hunter writing the report came out uninjured but his horse was one that kept rushing ahead of the guides.

I believe he questioned the guide to how they pick horses and guides got first pick for themselves, granted I prefer the best horse for myself but if someone is paying me i'm going to put THEM on the best mounts

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
chit happens and an experienced rider can get hurt in the mountain riding a horse that has no idea who the stranger on his back is. Horse by nature can be dangerous, they are strong and big, but people who work with them day in and day out learn to live with this. Most hunters from the east on a paid hunt have no experience riding on level ground only in the steep mountains and should know the risk they take when they climb in the saddle. You take the risk and if you get hurt then live with it, no ones fault but your own if you get hurt.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What's your friend's experience level of riding? A lot of things can happen when inexperienced riders get on a horse, and it's always the horses fault. Horses like people have personalities and sometimes the rider and the horses don't go together.

It's unfortunate that your friend got hurt, but he's the one that decided to get on the horse. They sell adventure travel insurance for instances just like these.

Last edited by taylorce1; 11/08/15. Reason: deleted bad info
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
It ain't too hard to walk, especially if you have a horse to carry all of your crap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blairsvillexdave
Friend of mine got thrown off a horse near Craig, CO. The way I'm hearing it the horse thru him about 12 feet. Several broken ribs and in the hospital for about 3 weeks. I think he got to fly back to GA in the last few days. Most of the CO hunting accidents I hear about Elk hunting involve horses. I guess the people that provide these basically wild horses don't have any liability? I'm posting this with the hope hunters will be aware they aren't being give trained saddle horses. Dave

So you weren't there but it's the horses fault, the outfitter's fault, the legal systems's fault, ... anyone missing from that list?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I once went trail riding with a friend on his wife's horse. That horse would cross any creek but she absolutely balked at crossing muddy water where she couldn't see the bottom. Trying to force her across was an invitation to a wreck. It was much safer to just go around.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You climb up into a saddle "you" take your chances, period.

Riding a horse is a lot like riding a whore, you can walk away with a grin or crawl away in pain. Have seen more than one non horse riding jack off jump in a saddle thinking they can handle a horse when they should let the horse handle the ride. If you don't have the experience it is best to follow moms direction, sit there, don't move and shutup. Works with horses and whores but your still taking a risk.

Last edited by nathanial; 11/08/15.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
People that grow up around horses have a sense of what the animal is doing or about to do. This is called Horse Sense. They have a feel for what is going on around them and how it will impact the horses/mules/cattle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's very true but most people don't have the luxury of riding a horse every day.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nathanial;
Top of the morning to you sir and thanks for the chuckle with your colorful analogy. grin

I was blessed to have grown up on a farm that pretty much always had a horse around, but really and truly didn't "know" much about horses until we bought our own pair of riding horses that became part of our lives for 17 years. During that time I trained myself and mostly both horses to withstand gunfire - both successful - and packing game animals - one success and one spectacular, repeated failure. wink

Anyway during that time we rubbed shoulders and made friends with a few lifetime horse folks and ranchers - not always the same thing I hasten to add....

From those years I've found that the sayings "If you ride, you'll walk" and "It's not if you're going to get hurt, but when and how bad" were truisms indeed.

Honestly sir I still miss misty November mountain hunts on the back of a sometimes knotheaded Appaloosa mare, so I'm biased for sure and certain towards the horse being innocent more often than not.

Some folks too I believe, have watched one too many westerns and think everyone is a born horseman - just like everyone is a born rifleman I suppose, no? wink

Thanks again for the chuckle and for twigging a ton of fond memories for me this morning sir. All the best to you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been thrown , been tossed , been slammed. I once had a buddy with a fast Tn Walker that no one would ride so I took the hundred dollar bet and saddled up.

It was like a jet taking off , that [bleep] put in in low then medium then high, the wind literally was whistling in my ear in about 1.5 seconds. I have ridden a pretty fair amount and have owned several varieties of the critters but never have Ifelt the Gs being put on my arse like that by a horse.

It was a hundred yard run to the end of the paddock area. I swear that sum bitch applied the brakes took a hard right as he aimed me at the biggest post on the fence, squatted low and bucked me right in to that damn post at about 25 miles an hour. Somehow I didn't get broke up to bad. I took my hundred bucks. That sum beech was evil I tell ya or maybe I reckon he was in some pain but didn't show lame or I would have never got on him. Then he again he did have an evil eye.

I like a tall mule for that type of trip anyhow. Sorry about your buddy, glad he healed.

Last edited by Strick9; 11/08/15.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
B
OP Offline
B
No Razz - I've been on this site off and on for years - had to re-register - after I moved and changed e-mail servers several times. This hunter has been going to CO probably over 30yrs. so he knew about the horses being wild. Anyway not getting much out of this post other than negative feed back so I'll say so long for now. Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and you expected, what?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Horses can be dangerous for sure, but if you show them you're in charge and not afraid of them they normally behave pretty well. The exceptions don't last long, sometimes even getting a bullet to the head. BTDT.

I couldn't imagine not owning hunting horses, and have used them to get mulies, elk and 1 moose out, but you do have to accept the dangers associated with them.

I've got a busted rifle on my wall from a bad horse wreck, but I am pretty sure it saved my leg from getting broke.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you don't want to hit the ground really hard then ride a short legged horse

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Colorado law shields outfitters and horseback riding companies from liability due to accepted risks of the activity. Riding horses is inherently dangerous, especially in mountain terrain. I've been in a horse wreck and paid for it with broken ribs. It was my own damn, stupid fault. This was my own horse - very trained horse - that got spooked because I got stupid for just a minute.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/08/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That's very true but most people don't have the luxury of riding a horse every day.

LOL! I don't consider that a luxury. I grew up on a ranch and my dad was a 100 percent horse guy. I did the team roping/calf roping thing etc., etc. I frickn' hate those hay burners!

They are great to pack out meat, but as long as I can do it, I will hunt of foot. I realize their worth for pack-in outfitter camps, though.

I took horses elk hunting one time and had a belly full of dealing with them.

I would venture to say that most outfitter horses are about as tame and mountain savy as you can find-but they are still horses!

My boy and I were leaving elk camp one year north of Hayden, Co. There were search and rescue people all over a big horse camp. It had started to snow heavily and the hillsides turned to mush. I told the kid that is what happens when you hunt with horses on greasy slopes. It got the point across of how dangerous mountain hunting is.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Had a local here who years ago took mules out to Colorado for certain outfitters to use. He said they really liked them for that kind of business. So mules never caught on?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sbhooper

LOL! I don't consider that a luxury. I grew up on a ranch and my dad was a 100 percent horse guy. I did the team roping/calf roping thing etc., etc. I frickn' hate those hay burners!

They are great to pack out meat, but as long as I can do it, I will hunt of foot. I realize their worth for pack-in outfitter camps, though.

I would venture to say that most outfitter horses are about as tame and mountain savy as you can find-but they are still horses!

My boy and I were leaving elk camp one year north of Hayden, Co. There were search and rescue people all over a big horse camp. It had started to snow heavily and the hillsides turned to mush. I told the kid that is what happens when you hunt with horses on greasy slopes. It got the point across of how dangerous mountain hunting is.
Sounds like you need to take a hard look at donkeys or llamas. You do the boot work while they haul the load. Llamas cost a fraction of what horses cost. They can haul 80lb so 3 can pack out a boned cow, 4 will handle a bull. Those 4 will eat about as much as 1 horse. They're more sure footed than horses and easier to handle.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Horses are something you either love or hate. There isn't much in between. They are probably about one of the dumbest animals on the farm. Pigs being one of smartest. Donkeys are not far behind though and crossing one with a horses raises that IQ quite a bit. However, people who typically have problems with a horse, can't get it done with a mule and for sure, they would not fair well with a donkey. You have to be bit smarter than the animal you are going to work with

I have rode mules in some country that a lot or people would not even walk in and in some deep snows, slippery mud, etc. Litterally trusting my life to them. But then again ,I have had them trip over their own feet on flat ground.

Not every horse mule is suited to every task though and a good roping, cow horse might not make a good hunting horse.

I sure get lot of entertainment from guys binging their wive's or girlfriend's good arena horse to the mountains elk hunting

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/08/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Sounds like you need to take a hard look at donkeys or llamas. You do the boot work while they haul the load. Llamas cost a fraction of what horses cost. They can haul 80lb so 3 can pack out a boned cow, 4 will handle a bull. Those 4 will eat about as much as 1 horse. They're more sure footed than horses and easier to handle.

I like the idea of llamas. They are super-cool. Mules beat horses, in that they are not going to go where they don't feel safe. They won't do it! Lots of good outfitters use mules and have it together. A good mule is a thing of beauty.

I don't have enough hard hunts left in me to buy the llamas and all the gear that goes with them, just for a few days in the montanas.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nothing like hunting with a horse or mule on a big game hunt. Most outfitters 100 % of the time tell you to ride horses or mules prior to your trip. Advice well given but not always heeded.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
WyColocowboy said "Colorado law shields outfitters and horseback riding companies from liability due to accepted risks of the activity. Riding horses is inherently dangerous, especially in mountain terrain. I've been in a horse wreck and paid for it with broken ribs. It was my own damn, stupid fault. This was my own horse - very trained horse - that got spooked because I got stupid for just a minute."

I was one of the original posters on this thread but since I am from Georgia and so is the person that started it so he needs to be aware of this. Georgia has a similar law as to the one Colorado has. So does Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida that I know. Probably the other southern states do also.

Last edited by boliep; 11/08/15.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by boliep
WyColocowboy said "Colorado law shields outfitters and horseback riding companies from liability due to accepted risks of the activity. Riding horses is inherently dangerous, especially in mountain terrain. I've been in a horse wreck and paid for it with broken ribs. It was my own damn, stupid fault. This was my own horse - very trained horse - that got spooked because I got stupid for just a minute."

I was one of the original posters on this thread but since I am from Georgia and so is the person that started it so he needs to be aware of this. Georgia has a similar law as to the one Colorado has. So does Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida that I know. Probably the other southern states do also.

Virtually all 50 states have the "equine liability laws" in effect. As long as the operator of the equine business has the appropriate signage in place and the participant signs a waiver the operator is in the clear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Horses are something you either love or hate. There isn't much in between. They are probably about one of the dumbest animals on the farm. Pigs being one of smartest. Donkeys are not far behind though and crossing one with a horses raises that IQ quite a bit. However, people who typically have problems with a horse, can't get it done with a mule and for sure, they would not fair well with a donkey. You have to be bit smarter than the animal you are going to work with

I have rode mules in some country that a lot or people would not even walk in and in some deep snows, slippery mud, etc. Litterally trusting my life to them. But then again ,I have had them trip over their own feet on flat ground.

Not every horse mule is suited to every task though and a good roping, cow horse might not make a good hunting horse.

I sure get lot of entertainment from guys binging their wive's or girlfriend's good arena horse to the mountains elk hunting

So what you are saying most of us don't have a high enough IQ to handle mules, therefore we resort to horses?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I like the idea of llamas. They are super-cool. Mules beat horses, in that they are not going to go where they don't feel safe. They won't do it! Lots of good outfitters use mules and have it together. A good mule is a thing of beauty.

I don't have enough hard hunts left in me to buy the llamas and all the gear that goes with them, just for a few days in the montanas.
I figured that my llamas added a good 5 years to my elk hunting career. I just can't backpack elk quarters like I used to. I use them for more than hunting, though. I love summer pack trips. Just getting to a lake 3 or 4 miles back for a couple nights is great. They're much easier and safer to handle than horses. The only drawback is that you can't ride them.
Once you learn what to look for, they're pretty cheap. It's not hard to pick up a good one for under $100 if you watch Craigslist. Equipment? CL is your friend. Good used tack can be found pretty cheap.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd just as soon shoot and eat a horse than ride it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=roundoak

So what you are saying most of us don't have a high enough IQ to handle mules, therefore we resort to horses? [/quote]

I sure have met a lot of folks like that, at least the ones that can't seem to get along with a mule.

I have been using/riding these critters for almost forty years and I can't remember once when after a horseman started riding a good mule that they ever went back to riding a horse.

A fella that gets along good with a horse, usually has enough savvy to get along with a mule as long as they take the time to figure out the big mental difference between a horse and a mule. Most won't though and that is where they get into trouble. In addition there is big difference in handling a pack mule vs using one for a saddle mule.

But you have seen these guys that have trouble with any horse they have ever own. Those types have snow balls chance in hell of getting along with a mule.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/08/15.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'd just as soon shoot and eat a horse than ride it.

That's funny right there!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have seen it happen many times. Several years ago I was in the mountains bear hunting and stopped by an outfitters camp to visit and see if they had seen any bears. They had just loaded the pack string (mules) and was getting ready to head into the back country. As I was talking to the one outfitter his partner was climbing onto his horse, as his butt hit the saddle the horse exploded. He dropped the leadrope for the packstring and was hanging on for dear life. But after about the 6th jump he parted ways with the horse in a nice big ark through the sky landing on his hip on the graveled parking lot. Now this gentleman looked to be about 60 so I was figuring that I was going to be calling lifebird but he layed there and finally got up limping but unhurt. The funny thing was the packstring never moved, they just stood there and watched the whole thing.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'll take my mules any day. The supposed "stubbornness" of a mule is easier to deal with and think through than to deal with the "airheadness" of a horse and we own 6 of the airheads

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by laker
I'll take my mules any day. The supposed "stubbornness" of a mule is easier to deal with and think through than to deal with the "airheadness" of a horse and we own 6 of the airheads

Funny how these "stubborn" mules have a zest for living. They recognize danger.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Exactly

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BluMtn
I have seen it happen many times. Several years ago I was in the mountains bear hunting and stopped by an outfitters camp to visit and see if they had seen any bears. They had just loaded the pack string (mules) and was getting ready to head into the back country. As I was talking to the one outfitter his partner was climbing onto his horse, as his butt hit the saddle the horse exploded. He dropped the leadrope for the packstring and was hanging on for dear life. But after about the 6th jump he parted ways with the horse in a nice big ark through the sky landing on his hip on the graveled parking lot. Now this gentleman looked to be about 60 so I was figuring that I was going to be calling lifebird but he layed there and finally got up limping but unhurt. The funny thing was the packstring never moved, they just stood there and watched the whole thing.

Our packstring of horses were a couple miles out from the trailhead when we observed a packstring of four mules loaded with elk and mule deer led by a wrangler on a horse coming our way. Two mule deer bucks broke out of the timber into the meadow just behind the mules. Rear mule spooked and took the other three with him right at us and they passed us bucking and braying. Panniers and horns started flying everywhere.

Our horses went wide-eyed and fidgeted a bit but stayed in formation. Thought sure we were in for a wreck.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
All things come with a certain amount of risk. I was Elk hunting with Mules in Colorado a few years back in the second season and it was icy and slick up high. We were leaving every morning before daylight and using the mules to get us above timberline. I was thankful we had those sure footed beast but I'll admit I was nervous about the trip thru the dark timber before daylight. Too many old mining holes for my taste but I know with those silver dollar sized eyes they could see much better than we could. Elk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 11/09/15.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
All things come with a certain amount of risk. I was Elk hunting with Mules in Colorado a few years back in the second season and it was icy and slick up high. We were leaving every morning before daylight and using the mules to get us above timberline. I was thankful we had those sure footed beast but I'll admit I was nervous about the trip thru the dark timber before daylight. Too many old mining holes for my taste but I know with those silver dollar sized eyes the could see much better than we could. Elk

[Linked Image]0

Good-looking mules!

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The heavier you are, the harder you're going to hit the ground. If he's been hunting Colorado for 30 years chances are pretty good he isn't as spry as he used to be. If he only hits the back country with a guide once a year he isn't as seasoned as you think he is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Horses are not atvs. More like NASCAR. If you do not know how to operate them ..... pass. If you do know.....you will choose to never NOT use them if possible.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A horse knows its rider..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I likey a good mountain horse. Never tried a mule, but I hear good things.

I will say this: a horse would make me damn nervous if I didn't know how to ride one. Although if I didn't know how to ride one, I probably wouldn't know enough about them to be nervous, so maybe I wouldn't.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a bunch of hunters in our church. One of them bought a mule a couple months ago, picking it up before church. He had it in his trailer in the parking lot during the service. Afterwards, several guys wanted to see it so he unloaded it. It was a good looking mule but a full 18 hands tall. I don't think I could throw a saddle that high, let alone a 75lb pannier. For a packer, give me a 15 hand critter any day over one like that.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Horses are dangerous--period.

Yeah, some outfitter might own, or somebody rent, a hammerheaded screw-up of a horse, but even the best horses and/or riders can have a wreck......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We have a bunch of hunters in our church. One of them bought a mule a couple months ago, picking it up before church. He had it in his trailer in the parking lot during the service. Afterwards, several guys wanted to see it so he unloaded it. It was a good looking mule but a full 18 hands tall. I don't think I could throw a saddle that high, let alone a 75lb pannier. For a packer, give me a 15 hand critter any day over one like that.

At 6-1, I like tall riding stock, but 18 hands is getting ridiculous.

I'm seeing more of those tall mules these days..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

At 6-1, I like tall riding stock, but 18 hands is getting ridiculous.

I'm seeing more of those tall mules these days..........

Casey

The problem here is more and more people are wanting to get into mules. However few know that they don't need as big a mule to do the same work as a horse does. So they had a 15 hd horse and figure they need 15 hd mule. Unless a person is 6'-4" or thier feet drag too low or they weigh 300 pounds, a 14 hd mule in good condition will do everything a person needs to. Since I am only 5'-5" I now ride a 13&1/2 hd mule and my pack mule is only 13 hd. I don't put a full elk on him, but he packs a half an elk great. My 15 hd mule would pack a full elk , but I could not lift quarters that high anymore.

I am probably unique in that if I didn't use mules(or horses for that matter) I would be sitting home on the sofa as my disabilities would keep me from hunting. As it is, I have already added 5-8 years to my hunting career and I figure I can get another 8 or so. By that time I will be 80.

My rides now. Woodrow and Roscoe.

[Linked Image]

My previous ride, Jewel and Jessie and Jessie my 30yr old pack mule, now deceased. Jeanne Horne has Jewel now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/10/15.

E
E
When hunting with a horse it is not a "horse" it is a piece of "hunting equipment". Its a animal that can and will do just about anything you ask of it. Know the animal and there will be no problems. Would you take your 4-wheeler on a slope so steep you can not stand? A horse will pack your elk out on that same slope you can even add snow and ice.......I'd l ike to see the wreck your 4-wheeler will have on that same slope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One year an outfitter gave us a mule rather than a horse. I was apprehensive because I had always heard they were stubborn and I worried that I might have trouble. During the hunt it was a great pack animal. The only time it balked was when the human leading it was at fault for some reason or another. Over the week I got to really appreciate that mule.

Last year’s rental horse was an interesting animal too. She was said to be un-rideable as a mount and we never tried. She was very muscular and seemed to have some mule-like qualities about her. I was very impressed with her strength dropping down into and climbing out of the steep banks of mountain creeks while loaded with ½ an elk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We killed 2 elk at the bottom of the valley in the picture below and I was grateful for that paint horse. It certainly extended our hunting range. We were able to have a spike camp down in that valley.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rental horses don’t always get treated well and they get real good at evaluating their renters. The outfitter we rented from had another group that had rented 3 horses in another part of the unit. The first horse ran off and they lost a 2nd horse trying to recover the first one. The guy with the 3rd horse told them they were on their own and that he had come here to hunt. My experience has been that they usually don’t have reason to try to get away if they are treated right.

25 years ago when I wasn’t so fat I didn’t care so much how strong a horse was. This horse would actually stop and alert my of elk up ahead by pointer her muzzle and ears – just like an upland dog.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/10/15.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My dad always said a bum ride beats a good walk any day. I have been riding horses for 65 years. I have been busted up a few times. Mostly broken ribs, but never spent any time in a hospital. I am 70 years old. Four years ago got bucked off, broke 5 ribs and seperated my shoulder. Was my fault, knew the old pony was cinchy, I cinched him up and stepped on and he swapped his head. I rattled around on top of him four 4 or 5 jumps then didn't get down pretty lol. Like someone said if you ride them you are going to get hurt lol. Beats walking lol

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by elkin44
When hunting with a horse it is not a "horse" it is a piece of "hunting equipment". Its a animal that can and will do just about anything you ask of it. Know the animal and there will be no problems. Would you take your 4-wheeler on a slope so steep you can not stand? A horse will pack your elk out on that same slope you can even add snow and ice.......I'd l ike to see the wreck your 4-wheeler will have on that same slope.

Perhaps. On the other hand, my 4-wheeler has never lost its damn mind in the dead of night on a narrow trail because something startled it, sending a 20 horse pack string into a full on panicked dash through the forest! Yes, horses and mules can be very useful, but they can be huge PITA's too. Given a choice I'll take the quad. It can't do everything a horse or mule can, but it good enough for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You won't take your quad where we hunt. Even if it was legal, which it isn't, the mountains are too steep, too rocky, and the trails too narrow.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, most horse problems are caused by guys who don't ride them enough - which means that both parties dont get the saddle time they need. Of course, only one party is culpable for that fact.

I've never had a bad experience with a mountain horse that gets adequate trail time in the off season.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A couple years ago one of my hunting partners was busted up pretty good on his horse. He and his wife get LOTS of trail time but sometimes accidents happen. They'd encountered a group of boy scouts on bikes on a steep side hill section of the trail. The boys politely stopped and pulled their bikes off the trail. As they went by on the horses, Jerry's horse stepped a few inches off the trail and the edge collapsed under a hind foot. The horse went down the embankment 6 or 8' and Jerry took a HARD fall, hard enough that the scouts got a chance to use their 1st aid training while one of them rode to the trailhead to call for help. They finally got him out by helicopter.
He recovered ok but it took a while. He had a double hip replacement some years ago and they were afraid that the muscles had pulled loose from the metal. Also he damaged a vertebra in his neck. He hurt a lot for quite a while. He was able to hunt with us that fall and did get his deer but he couldn't hunt alone. He wasn't able to dress it alone as he couldn't lift enough to move it at all. My llamas got another pack trip getting it out.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Best thing about an equine vs a wheeled vehickle is the equine won't fall over or run into a tree if you let go of the steering wheel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best thing about an equine vs a wheeled vehickle is the equine won't fall over or run into a tree if you let go of the steering wheel.
I've seen horses run into trees even when you're white knuckling both the steering wheel and the grab bar. Why don't saddles come with roll cages? crazy

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm posting this with the hope hunters will be aware they aren't being give trained saddle horses.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

When I was outfitting we had a written disclaimer that was required to be read and signed by each hunter before they could do anything. It started like this, "Horseback riding is an inherently dangerous activity" and on to basically say that the Outfitter could not be held liable for any damages. I would have never even considered putting a client on an unknown animal. Our "Dude stock" was so dead broke that they would never even consider bucking. They knew that took extra energy and they needed all they could get for what lay ahead!
Saddle mules are the real way to go. I want one this next year hopefully. I have two great old geldings that are 20 now, and would like to switch them over to strictly just packing or a dude friend now and then maybe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever notice how toward the end of a hunt some guys have come to absolutely hate a horse while others have grown fond of it like they would a dog - and it's the same horse.

I think it says more about horsemanship and the character of the man than about the horse.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by nathanial
You climb up into a saddle "you" take your chances, period.

Don't like horses, never did.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here is a question on the horse subject:

I know it isn't "the cowboy way" or "cool" to wear a helmet, but how many outfitters offer a helmet?

any time I get on a horse I wear my helmet but I know a lot of people don't, just not sure if the option is really offered on these western hunts

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Helmet probably not offered on a hunt. Most guys wear orange hats,not too many orange helmets. I did have an old friend that wore a orange hard hat. That was before helmets were used for riding. He rode a 16 hand mule. I offer helmets when I take out my wagon trains. If they refuse the helmet they have to sign that they refuse to wear it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think breakaway stirrups are a lot more important than a helmet.
Google STI break away stirrups

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

We need to ban horses on back country elk hunts.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

That would have saved me a world of hurt, for sure. Never knew they even existed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Tim_B

I know it isn't "the cowboy way" or "cool" to wear a helmet, but how many outfitters offer a helmet?

any time I get on a horse I wear my helmet but I know a lot of people don't, just not sure if the option is really offered on these western hunts

Been bucked off, fell on many times in my life by horses and a few mules, I have yet to land on my head.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_s_s

Been bucked off, fell on many times in my life by horses and a few mules, I have yet to land on my head.

You lucky bastard....grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by xxclaro

That would have saved me a world of hurt, for sure. Never knew they even existed.

After one incident where my mule fell,I was hanging upside down ,with only my shoulder touching the ground,hung up.Lucky my mule did not bolt andmy hunting paed w asclose.
It took me a year of me telling myself I could not afford them to make me change my mind that I darn well better get a set.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by xxclaro

After one incident where my mule fell,I was hanging upside down ,with only my shoulder touching the ground,hung up.Lucky my mule did not bolt andmy hunting paed w asclose.
It took me a year of me telling myself I could not afford them to make me change my mind that I darn well better get a set.

I may have to look at getting set

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SamOlson

You lucky bastard....grin

Yeah Sam I am lol. I am getting so stove up it is easier to fall off a horse than get off lol. Missed getting a nice bear this year cause I was to slow getting off, but my pard saved the day. He is younger lol. Was riding back to camp and spotted this bear tearing up a stump about 50 yards off the trail, she was faster than me lol. She made a fatal mistake though, she stopped and looked back and Don nailed her. She damn good eating lol.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are other brands of break away stirrups on the market for a lot less money. I can't comment on how well any of them work if needed.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There are other brands of break away stirrups on the market for a lot less money. I can't comment on how well any of them work if needed.

True. I looked at them all, and these seemed to be the best made for function. Plus they are a bit oversized and fit hunting boots well

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll have to take your word for it. Fitting a big, warm boot does count for a lot, though.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This thread is timely. In an earlier post, I mentioned on of my partners who got busted up a couple years ago when his horse stepped off the trail and the edge caved in.

Last night he got it again. He was with their horses when their cat spooked one of them and it kicked him in the face. He's in the hospital now with a severe concussion and a bunch of stitches. I haven't heard what the prognosis is.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The cat is a goner.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a followup...It appears the hoof caught him flat on. If it had hit at an angle it would have been a lot more serious. He had a serious concussion and that side of his face is pretty cut up. He's covered with stitches. Nothing's broken, though. They're doing another CAT scan this morning to make sure all is ok and he could be home today. He's all swollen and black, though. At 70, he'll be a while healing up.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tim_B

I've been tossed many many times. Only landed on my head once, got lawn darted pretty good. One of the very very few times I've worn a helmet. Smashed the helmet and all I got was a jammed up neck and the breath knocked out of me. I still don't wear a helmet.

Everything in life is dangerous, you play the game and you take your chances.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Exactly

You can ride a horse to death but try that with mule, won't happen.
Mules were the only animal that my Gr'ddad would drive. This was back in the day when most mules weren't refereed to in kind words. Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 11/14/15.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A good horse will give you100% a good mule will only give you 90 , he keeps 10% for himself. I was at a branding many years ago. I was riding a bridle mule,not mine. A friend asked how I liked that $5000 mule, I told home about like a $1500 horse. 90% of the big pack strings in the high Sierras are led by a horse. I asked a packer why that was, he said the mules would follow a horse anywhere and a good horse would give you all he had where a good mule wouldn't

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was at a branding many years ago. I was riding a bridle mule,not mine. A friend asked how I liked that $5000 mule, I told home about like a $1500 horse.

Ed, that should keep the mule guys quiet for a minute....grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friend of mine has been using mules for years in his guiding and ranching operations. The most that he has paid for one, old High Dollar, was $2,000 about 15 years ago. I have ridden Dollar on several lion hunts and would trust him to take me just about anywhere and get me back. Most of his mules are bought for between $500 and $1,000. I have watched Warner ride his old favorite, a white mule named Snowy River, chasing his hounds through some of the damnedest country you can imagine. Two days later, he would be roping calves on Snowy River and dragging them to the fire.

In the last year and a half, three rancher friends, ranging in age from 60-75, have been seriously injured in horse wrecks. These guys have all been riding since they were pre-K and they know horses inside and out. I will still get on a horse if needed, but for the rough stuff I prefer a good mule these days.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mudhen, I have read about your friend Warner, can't remember his last name, in Range magazine. I have been in more horse wrecks than mule wrecks,rode a hell of a lot more horses than mules lol. Not saying there arn't good mules but will say there are a hell of a lot more good horses out there than there are good mules. I make my livin with a horse and have ridden some pretty rough country. I will say mules are smarter than horses, which isn't always good, that's why they keep 10% for themselves.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A good horse will give you100% a good mule will only give you 90 , he keeps 10% for himself. I was at a branding many years ago. I was riding a bridle mule,not mine. A friend asked how I liked that $5000 mule, I told home about like a $1500 horse. 90% of the big pack strings in the high Sierras are led by a horse. I asked a packer why that was, he said the mules would follow a horse anywhere and a good horse would give you all he had where a good mule wouldn't

A mule naturally buddy sours to a horse and that is why a pack string is usually led by a horse. Once bonded, those mules will follow that horse anywhere. True a horse will give you all he has , even to kill itself and you can force a horse into dangerous situations. A mule however, being smarter than that guy who forces his horse, will not let that happen.

Those packers know that and that is why they won't lead with a mule. They just need to get the job done and if it means using up their horse, they will do it. Most of those guys couldn't get along with a saddle mule for that very reason.

It is a wise person who knows when the mule is trying to tell him that this situation is not good and listens to the mule.

There is a good reason why the top high dollar mule at the annual Jake Clark Mule sale in WY went for $64,000 this year and it wasn't because that mule only gave 90%.

I led pack strings with a mule for many years.I always got the job done and went where I needed to go with no fuss. If I had horse they got packed and I rode a mule. If something was going to fall off the mountain, I wanted it to be the pack not me.It worked for me a lot of years

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/14/15.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Saddlesore I agree with you somewhat I have seen some damn good mules, also seen a lot of dinks. Have a friend that rides a mule, she is pretty handy but has one serious flaw. We were tagging calves in the foothills of the Sierras, brush and oak country. My dogs held up a bunch of cows, may be 10 or 12 pair, and we started roping the calves, of course some cows being good mommas, and because of the dogs decided to fight I had a. A calf roped, cow banging my dumb old pony and me. Ole Gunner, my horse just stood there and took it and kept the rope tight . Becky the good mule scattered, damn near killed
My pard running thru the scrub oaks. Cow wasn't banging her. Worked out for her though as Larry, my pard,never used her for cow work again lol. Dogs finally got the cow off me and I tagged the calf and went and collected Larry lol

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
m_s_s. The problem being is that not all mules, just like all horses are not suited to all task. A lot of people think because they have a mule that it will do anything. About like comparing a cowy horse to one that isn't. It is easy to give an example of what one mule did, just the same as what one horse did. Breeding mules is like breeding horses. Garbage in=garbage out. If you don't start with good bred,calm mares and good jacks, you get dinks. It has taken a lot of years for people to figure that out and a lot won't ever.

Some mules will ever only make good work mules in harness. Some will only make good pack mules.

There a lot ranches that use mules in cow work. Particularly in AZ and NV where the mules can tolerate the heat better than horse.

There used to be a fellow in north west NM, (Doyle Hill, he has since past) that raised some dandy mules out of tennesee walker mares and quarter horse mares. It was darn hard to buy a mule off him because the cowboys in AZ would buy every mule he bred and if you didn't know anything about mules , he would only show you his trash mules. I was finally able to buy a few off him, but I had to give him 1/2 the price of the mule when the mare was bred and the other 1/2 when I picked it up.

Go to some of these better mule competitions like Bishop and you will see some good mules working cows just as any horse would.

Get on a FB group about mules and you can buy all you want down in Texas that are in kill pens for $400 or so . Now those are realdinks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Saddlesore you are right about the breeding, same holds true in dogs and people. I have been to Bishop and have rode some mules that won there. One was the $5000 dollar mule I spoke of. She was damn handy but didn't have the sting that a good bridle horse of the same value had. This was in the 80's and $ 5000 for a mule or horse was a lot of money. To head a cow on the fence you really had to drive her past, hence the 10% for her. In the mid 80's I won the steer roping a mule show at Gridley,CA. I was mounted on 3 different mules, the owners paid me to show them cause it was apretty fair hand with a rope. All three were nice mules, they didn't have the drive that their cousin the horse had. I roped all my steers and won on 1 mule and placed on the others. But if I had been riding just an average rope horse I would have beat myself.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
M_S_S.WE probably passed each other then in Bishop. We used to go there every year back in the 80's. The last year I was there was when there was an earthquake right close.

Mule's and their breeding have come a long ways since then.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I imagine Mules are like horses, dogs and especially people. Some are smart and some aren't, some will work hard while others won't and some just need the [bleep] kicked out of them! Baker

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I imagine Mules are like horses, dogs and especially people. Some are smart and some aren't, some will work hard while others won't and some just need the [bleep] kicked out of them! Baker

You pretty much got that figured out for sure, but some will kick the "bleep" out of you too.

Very few horses, mules, and dogs are born bad. Most are made that way by some ignorant human.

Humans though, some are just born to be arseholes I do believe

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are right horses, mules and dogs are not born bad. Most are the product of their training. Not evey horse will make a good cowhorse but with proper training should be gentle and rideable. Genetics plays a large part in weather a horse will be an athelete or not. For a mule to be one will have to come from his mothers side, cause his dad was built to pack , pull or Barbeque. Burro ain't bad in a taco .

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pretty interesting reading all this from some guys who really know their stuff.

I will add in one thing. If you don't know horse/mules, you better do your homework to the best you can (ie references) and make sure that any critter you use is a good one. Although an accident can happen to any horse/mule, combine a bad one with a greenhorn and broken bodies are not long in coming.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Breattaman you are right there greenhorns and unbroke or spoiled horses arn't a good match. You can get hurt on broke and gentle horses but your odds are better that you won't lol. If you get on enough of them you are going to get hurt lol, just kind of goes with the deal. I am 70 and been hurt quite a few times in my life, nothing major, just broken bones, but I still say a bum ride beats a good walk any day lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife is a total novice when it comes to horses.

No way would I let her ride my horse. And it's a good horse, just would be too much horse for her.

Horses can sense your fear, if they know you ain't fuuckin' around(aka greenhorn style) they'll behave(most of the time...grin).

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I grew up on horses, and did green saddle breaking, for spending money, when I was a teenager.

I got bucked off sometimes, but always did a week or so of ground work(handling, saddling, sacking, driving) before ever mounting.

And yes, I've been part of a few horse wrecks outside the corral. One where I broke some ribs. It happens.

I'm wondering exactly what is an 'other' horse wreck? My mind is foul, and wanders to some type of South American porn venture....???

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I grew up on horses, and did green saddle breaking, for spending money, when I was a teenager.

I got bucked off sometimes, but always did a week or so of ground work(handling, saddling, sacking, driving) before ever mounting.

And yes, I've been part of a few horse wrecks outside the corral. One where I broke some ribs. It happens.

I'm wondering exactly what is an 'other' horse wreck? My mind is foul, and wanders to some type of South American porn venture....???

If my google-fu were better I'd find and post that pic of you from your embassy days with a smartass reply. grin I believe that was a spanish speaking country?

Just like anything else, shoot at enough deer you'll miss one or have a less than perfect hit eventually. Ride enough ponies you'll come off. eventually.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was forced to accept a Zen sort of realization on a hunting horse on a pitch black night in the San Juan mountains.

I was moving between camps and foolishly got started way too late. When it got dark it got REALLY dark. This segment of trail was a shelf trail, real steep, I could take a boot out of a stirrup and touch the uphill side in places. A fall here had consequences. I couldn't see the trail.

At a certain point I released my white-knuckle grip on the reins and threw an overhand knot in the ends. I was no longer guiding or controlling the horse. I had to give up the idea that I was in control. The horse was the only one that could see and feel the trail. I had become just a piece of cargo. I had liked this horse and trusted it, but I liked it a lot more after arriving safely that night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ain't it Steelhead that says "next time he's horseback, he'll have a cocked revolver pointing between the horses ears"?

anyhoo, I've been bucked off a fair bit. but by far the worst was a lady that was "newly rich" and had decided to get into horses for her and her teenage daughter.

she'd been paying some horse women I know around here to train her horse (and her of course) but her teenage daughter was not interested in doing anything with mom at that period of her life including going riding.

so the lady's complaining that no one in her family will go riding with her. And she's really worried about the horse she got for her daughter as it's just not getting ridden.

I don't know what came over me, I hadn't even been drinking, when I said "heck I'll go riding with ya!"

hadn't been horseback in a good while at that point.

so I meet her one Sunday out at the barn, both pretty dang good lookin mares, good tack, heck this oughta be fun.

well she wasn't kiddin that mare she'd bought for the daughter hadn't been ridden in some time and she was not inclined to be ridden that day, by some guy that was 60 lb.s heavier at least than her teenage daughter.

we did a lil dido getting blanket and saddle on, went thru the minor drama of her puffing up so I couldn't get a tight cinch on the saddle till she finally decided she couldn't hold her breath any longer, but at long last we were atop these splendid animals.

now old Smokey the horse of my youth was a lot the same way, he didn't get ridden as often as needed cause he was kept at my dad's farm and I lived on my grandpaps farm with my ma and her kin. So he was often frisky, intelligent and just a royal PITA, until you got him lathered up and got the edge off of him.

she was prancing and fighting the bit, so I put the heels to her to run her a bit so she'd work up a sweat and settle down.

"oh no, let's not run them" the lady screamed WTF I thought, how the heck am I gonna ride her if we don't take this rough edge off her.

well the lady didn't even want to trot them leave alone gallop.

so I sawed on reins, cajoled, sweet talked, cursed and somehow got this lil mare pointed down the trail

she settled some after a bit, never really bucked, just always tossing and twisting and exhibiting her displeasure by having some fatazz redneck deposited upon her slender and muscled back. I might have twisted an ear a time or two when the lady wasn't looking.

but that horse never did get happy about me being up on her.

we made it pretty uneventful, the ladie's horse just sauntering along and mine dancing and twisting and able to keep pointed in the correct direction with me providing a lil encouragement.

all went pretty well, until we turned around and headed back.

she did fine until we rode past her barn and then she decided she'd had enough.

but the lady that owned them was having a grand leisurely stroll and didn't want it to end just yet.

so even though my lil mare tried desperately to make a left turn into their home place, a few judicious yanks on the reins kept her goin in our new direction.

we were riding along the right of way on a road, my horse with her head twisted to the left as I kept constant pressure on the reins to keep her from bolting back to the barn.

when all of a sudden she swerves her head to the right carries us up right on the roadway (where there was some sporadic car traffic) and startled the chit outa me, and kinda skeered me too as I don't like dodging cars while horseback as a general rule.

so I whip her head to the left, to get her back on the right of way and damned if we didn't about run over the poor lady on her mare!

and that ladies and gentlemen is when that mare owned me for a sec.

as I turned in the saddle to apologize to the lady for the near miss. the mare I was riding her front end dropped to the ground.

now alla y'all that been horseback know what it feels like when a horse steps in a hole, even though I was lookin to the rear, I knew this was bad, this damned filly was gonna break a leg whilst I was astride her and I'd be on the hook for the damages.

so I did what any gentleman cowboy would do ( or so I thought) as I felt her stumble I took my right foot outa the stirrup and started to swing my leg over to step right off as the ground was very close now, so that the mare could right herself without my additional weight and then hopefully with no injury to the mare resaddle.

heh, heh, heh, sure that's the ticket.

as soon as my right foot came out of that stirrup and I lifted my leg the azz end of that mare exploded with more force than most space shuttle launches.

yep that's right I went azz over teakettle, full 360 in the air and came down hard.

it knocked the wind outa me, and as I lay there lookin at the beautiful blue sky with a few white puffy clouds, not feeling in anything in my body, I thought I justa mighta made it into the kingdom of heaven, courtesy of a stubborn lil bitch of a mare.

but then I noticed a prickly feeling???

I'd gotten deposited in a bed of wild rose bushes that often grow up around stumps. Landed on the stump via the kidney area and that seems to have been what was hurting so bad.

I crawled to my knees, regained my feet, looked up at the lady I was with (whom was white as a sheet btw) only to hear her say "OMG, OMG, we'll never catch her now"

hitting that stump had effectively wiped the nice right offa me it seems.

it was a new dawn, when I told the lady "I'll either catch her and ride her home or I'll kill her"

I'm not sure exactly what happens when I get hurt, but my good manners seem to go into hiding when it happens.

somehow I managed to limp towards the lil bitch of a horse (really think she let me get close enough to do so, just so she could get a lil better horse laugh over how she outsmarted me) and grabbed a rein. We danced a lil while I struggled to catch the other rein and deposit my azz upon her back again.

horses can be ornery, dumb etc. but they ain't all stupid.

I did a lil rein yankin, a lil cursing and put that horse through some rider induced pirourettes before we headed em back to the barn.

surprisingly she was pretty well behaved on the ride back to the barn.

but you boys that have been horseback know what I'm talking about that it takes a lil time for the real hurt to creep in when you've been throwed.

by the time we got back and got them unsaddled, rubbed down etc. not only was my back killin me, but turns out I'd twisted an ankle pretty danged good either getting throwed or in the ensuing waltz the horse and I performed when the bloodlust came over me and I was determined I'd catch that mare up and ride her back or kill the auld bitch.

but now we get to add the insult to the injury.

the lady told me, that it was a first that when the mare got rid of a rider that "we'd" been able to catch her

would you like to see our house. nice house btw and her husband had gotten home, they gave me a tour of this sprawling place and I'd developed a considerable limp by this time from my ankle.

these folks are very well off btw, as her (now late husband) was one of the shrewdest biz men I've ever known.

I could see the wheels turning and the worry on his face as we related the events, as he kept asking me if we should go to the dr. it finally hit me (slow as I can be) that while he might have some concern for my well being, his real concern was that I might sue them.

when that light bulb fired off in my head, it was a similar emotion like when I got throwed in the first damn place.

I remember telling him, "if you think I'm the kinda guy that would stand in front of 12 complete strangers, tell em I got throwed from a hoss and now I want the folks that own that hoss to give me money, then you're either loco or you don't know who I am."

I passed blood in my urine for two or 3 days IIRC, as I gimped around and I so bad wished I'da been the kind of guy that coulda sued those bastids for my misery. : (

funny thing is, I never got invited back to ride and I'm certain that lady didn't paint me in a very pretty light, either my horsemanship or my temper when she related that story to her friends.

damned old hosses anyway, kinda like women, can't figure out a good reason why we love em as they're very dangerous.

but yet we do.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You are right horses, mules and dogs are not born bad. Most are the product of their training. Not evey horse will make a good cowhorse but with proper training should be gentle and rideable. Genetics plays a large part in weather a horse will be an athelete or not. For a mule to be one will have to come from his mothers side, cause his dad was built to pack , pull or Barbeque. Burro ain't bad in a taco .

I don't know that I agree with that, some are a_holes from the start. I have spent a good portion of my life working cattle and showing cutters, and 'bad' is not always a product of training, environment etc. Some are just head shy, bit fighting, contrary POS. That is how the old saying started about a good horse not eating any more feed than a knucklehead. There are millions of genetic knotheads in the horse world. If you get one that never wants to give its head, sticks its nose out when you give it a touch, time to sell, or even give it away.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jstevens usually if a horse is bad at birth it is because of genetics. I have worked cows, rode cutters, roped for money, started colts, rode a few saddle broncs, made a few bridle horses, showed working cow horses and I have seen damn few colts that were complete garbage from the getgo. I have cut the heads off a few( chickened) when you could sill do that. Hell even made pepper sticks out of a mule, lol was pretty good. So there is a use for every horse or mule, even the bad ones. They make good bear bait where legal.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (35, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.