24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I sold my Marlin 375 and bought a brand spankin' new Marlin 1895G in 45-70. Arrived with a non-folding, folding rear sight and a plug screw that was horribly cross threaded. Marlin sent me a new rear sight, so that fixed that, it folds out of the way now. I drilled and re-tapped the plug screw (8-40, if anyone needs to know) and THAT turned out perfectly, although I don't know why E-Z-Outs have the name that they do, they should be called; "Screw You, I'ma 'bout to break" outs, but that's another story.

So I finally get her to the range and the trigger that I sorta thought felt rough, really felt bad while trying to sight her in. Trigger Happy trigger set on the way from Brownells. Okay, I understand that Remlin can't be bothered with fitting or QA or non-value-added tripe such as any of that, but...

Now to my latest problem: With Winchester 325 Gr Ballistic Silvertips, or Privi-Partisan 405's, I can't seem to get a smooth cycle on this thing, the round starts into the chamber mouth and the rear starts up against the bolt face, and then everything just kind of grinds to an abrupt halt. If I cycle it what I think of as "hard and fast", either round will go most times.

It puts a sharp cut line in the brass just below the crimp, about a quarter to 3/8" down, about 3/8" wide. Man, I hate to stand slap in the middle of Marlin country and bitch about their product, but... this gun's been a challenge!

Okay, so I guess I'll consider this a project gun, can anyone suggest what might be going on with the feed cycle and tell me if it's something I can tweak on? A reference, You Tube, anything? In spite of all, more than anything, I'd like to get her running right and shoot her, she's accurate enough to like.

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 10/24/15.
BP-B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's a place to start:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/do-yourself-gunsmithing/

It's a very good forum for Marlin things. And if you join and ask for help you'll likely get much info.

Since it's a new Marlin you might contact Marlin for warranty work.
This thread may be useful also:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If Marlin couldn't be bothered the first time, the last choice for me would be to send it back to them. I'll check the links you have provided though, and thanks!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
g5m, that first link you provided will almost surely do the trick, once I quit reading all of the neat info and actually get to tweaking on this, thanks again!

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Glad I could try to help.
It's a good forum.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm almost certain that the extractor is inhibiting the cartridge rim to slide up the breech face. They say to tweak it with a small screwdriver blade to slightly loosen it up. I may polish a little on the bottom inside of the claw as well, just as you would with a 1911 extractor. From the looks of the bind, that is where the problem is. I'll wait until my trigger gets here and do all at once.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You likely have a razor sharp edge on the bottom of your chamber mouth. No amount of extractor tuning will make it really feed smooth and not scratch the heck out of your brass.

The real remedy is to pull the barrel and put a small feed ramp like a 1911 on the bottom of the barrel with a rotary tool and a stone followed by a mirror polish with a Cratex wheel. Of course this is outside the scope of DIY guys unless you have a barrel vise and an action wrench.

After thats done the extractor should be tuned like you talked about and if the timing is right it'll feed nice and smooth.

I have almost ten years behind me working in a Marlin service center and this is VERY common with the newer guns. The pointed bullets in the LE ammo don't help matters either as the lack of a big round nose steepens the angle of the cartridge as it enters the chamber. Whereas a blunt RN bullet helps the round more or less teeter totter into a level position to slide into the chamber.
Good luck

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Would you happen to have any photos of the ramps?

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Rem/Lin........thought they had the bugs worked out by now.... cry

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
[Linked Image]Before.
[Linked Image] After.

Last edited by TheKid; 10/27/15.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ahh, I see what you are saying, kid. Is there any way to just break the sharp edge on the lower 1/3rd of the chamber with it installed? I should add that I don't care too much if my brass is scratched, as long as it chambers smoothly.

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 10/27/15.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks. That gives a good view of the change.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you take the bottom tang off and all the guts out you may be able to get at it with some emery paper wrapped around a pencil or something like that. It would be worth a shot as long as you don't get crazy wallowing out the bottom of the chamber or drastically altering the chamber mouth.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Why in the hell would you sell a .375? wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cush
Why in the hell would you sell a .375? wink

Because I didn't want to handload for it and I didn't want to pay collector prices for shooting ammo...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay, so I got my Trigger Happy trigger in Friday, and installed today. Better. Truthfully, not "world class", but better). I also "broke the edge" of the lower half of the chamber mouth with a little dab of Flitz on a felt bullet wheel set out as long as I could on my Dremel, that made me even happier! That, along with a good cleaning and lube, and a tweak on the extractor spring, seems to have cured my feeding problem. I haven't shot it yet, to make sure that extraction is still positive, but it cycles good just hand cycling, so I am hopeful. We'll see. Thanks to all who have offered a word or two of advice, I appreciate it.

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 11/01/15.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, now that the gun is fixed, does anybody have much experience with the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 300 gr in the field? Okay for both deer and black bear?

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 11/01/15.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've never used the Winchester offering on anything but have experience with the LE stuff from Hornady. Deer and Black bears are both pretty lightly constructed critters and I don't see you having a problem with just about any bullet from the 45/70 working on them. I know the Hornady LE stuff will shed jackets and pretty close to ruin a bear rug at close range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would have traded you a JM 1895g for that 375.
glad you worked the kinks out of the remlin.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
B
Never buy Rem/Lins, look for good used real Marlin. I'll never sell my 1895XLR 45/70. Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.