Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I like the GPSmap 62s. It has been fantastic and I like the external antenna

What he said!

Lost my original and had to get another GPSmap 62s, add a HUNT onxmaps chip for your state and go hunt.

Ted
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are nice pics...dual duty is not a bad thing. I can carry a few extra batteries just like I do for my Kestrel.

I don't have a GPS but am looking at a Montana 600 because I've read good comments about them. My hunting is changing to remote public ground and I wanted something I could use to find stand sites (and my way back out) in the dark.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I bought a Garmin Oregon 600 with the Montana State ownership chip.

Wish I bought one a long time ago. Instantly let's you know who you should call and ask for permission after you put a deer down.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tag. I was just about to start the exact same thread. Thanks all for the feedback!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Wish I bought one a long time ago. Instantly let's you know who you should call and ask for permission after you put a deer down.

Travis

Did antlerradar tell you to GFY?

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Who?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In most of the places I hunt, I could find my way to the truck blindfolded and drunk. A GPS is handy, though, to tell me how far I've hiked and to find a shot animal if I have to leave it. The tracking is useful for that if nothing else.

I rolled for many years without a GPS even while owning one. Just couldn't justify the weight until... I shot a buck late, in new country, right at dark, no moon that night. My light all but died while finishing the animal. No problem because all I need to do was, "walk downhill". It got VERY dark to the point I was shuffling my feet. The terrain got rocky, I kicked a rock that rolled out into space and fell a good ways into the river. I had stayed on the ridge too long and had to shuffle back up and around. I still needed to wade the Boise River, was downstream from the Troutdale campground, and had already decided to make do without waders because I had hid them and no way would I find them in the dark. A vehicle came slowly down the road and it was my camp partners. They used their headlights for me to cross. I carry two flashlights, a smartphone/GPS/third light, and still stay out until well after dark.

Hunting partner shot an elk, tracked it for some time before finding it, got turned around, had to spend the night, mountain search and rescue found him the next day, he went back but was never able to locate the elk.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A couple years ago one of my partners thought he'd lost a deer he'd shot earlier in the day. We finally located it from circling magpies homing in on the gut pile. A gps would have saved an hour of looking and the pack out could have been finished before dark.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In most of the places I hunt, I could find my way to the truck blindfolded and drunk. A GPS is handy, though, to tell me how far I've hiked and to find a shot animal if I have to leave it. The tracking is useful for that if nothing else.

I rolled for many years without a GPS even while owning one. Just couldn't justify the weight until... I shot a buck late, in new country, right at dark, no moon that night. My light all but died while finishing the animal. No problem because all I need to do was, "walk downhill". It got VERY dark to the point I was shuffling my feet. The terrain got rocky, I kicked a rock that rolled out into space and fell a good ways into the river. I had stayed on the ridge too long and had to shuffle back up and around. I still needed to wade the Boise River, was downstream from the Troutdale campground, and had already decided to make do without waders because I had hid them and no way would I find them in the dark. A vehicle came slowly down the road and it was my camp partners. They used their headlights for me to cross. I carry two flashlights, a smartphone/GPS/third light, and still stay out until well after dark.

Hunting partner shot an elk, tracked it for some time before finding it, got turned around, had to spend the night, mountain search and rescue found him the next day, he went back but was never able to locate the elk.

Some reasons there why everyone should own a GPS....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I bought a Garmin Oregon 600 with the Montana State ownership chip.

Travis

flave, are the 600's worth a damn? I saw they are going to be on sale at Cabela's for $219.00....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mine has been awesome.

I wish I could have got it for that price.

Mine says Oregon 600. Touch screen has been great so far. I hady doubts...

Travis

I remember back in maybe 1997 when I was guiding in Idaho, I had a hunter come into camp and ask if I would set up his GPS and show him how to work it. Hell I didn't even know what it was! I have since embraced the "Dark Side", and now use my Garmin Rino 650 every day when I'm out in the woods. In those days I always knew exactly where I was and could go cross country anywhere and find my way home. I still have a very good sense of direction, I'm not sure how it happens but I always end up coming out right where I thought I was. My brother however doesn't have that ability. A few years ago we were in the timber in a good amount of snow and had split up to cover more ground looking for mountain whitetails. We had small Motorola handheld radios, and he called asking me where he was! Of course I couldn't answer that, and he eventually found his way back. Shortly after that we did a little research and found the Garmin Rino GPS Units. Now when I push the call button it shows him on his map exactly where I am, and likewise. I no longer worry about having to find him. The biggest thing is to always take the time to turn that thing on first thing at the rig and set that waypoint unless it's already there. I love the Rino. We started out with the old 530's and have since upgraded to the touchscreen 650's. It is so nice with the OnXmaps chip to be able to see right where I am.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I notice that the Oregon series is generally less expensive than the Montana series with similar features but the reviews of the Oregon series are as good or better than the Montana so I'm now leaning towards the Oregon because of price.

Some reviews also said the Montana was more "configurable" and better suited for an experienced user which I am not.

I simply want to find my way in the dark to a known stand location and be able to retrace out in the dark. As near as I read, the Oregon will do that for me just fine for about $100 cheaper.

Am I missing anything?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
GW, I finally took the Montana 600 hunting last Friday and used it to mark some range monitoring sites today.

It's pretty easy to use, even for a tech ignorant cowhand.

The landowner chip is uber.

I'm not sure about the Oregon but if it is chip compatible(and cheaper) I would get that.

The Montana was on sale last winter otherwise I might have bought something else. Think it was $350 or 400.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just reread the thread, the Oregon 600 for $219 sounds like a great deal.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have had an Oregon 450 for several years now and find it very valuable. I am not an high tech person and feel very comfortable w/ map and compass. The X Maps chips are to me most valuable for verifying public and private land and planning routes. I too use the Rocky Mt. combo that gives Mt. Id. and Wy. for $99.00 and also have a Nv. state map.

I like finding the boundaries between public and private and knowing exactly where I am. Being on the border of irrigated Ag. land for coyote calling can be very productive and I don't want to trespass.

I hunt frequently in Idaho which has hundreds of miles of backcountry roads that frequently pass through or near private property. Not having to depend on fence lines can help you be sure and not miss opportunities or trespass.

I consider my gps and Lrf to be game changers that have made a major improvement in my hunting opportunities.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ghostwalker

Am I missing anything?

No.

Travis

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought the Oregon 600 at Cabelas during that sale and just used it in the woods yesterday while deer hunting. I didnt rely in it to navigate me back to my vehicle as I knew well the land on which I was hunting but did "act" as though I needed it. It worked flawlessly: picked up satellites extremely quickly and even recorded my track from waypoint to waypoint while inside of my vest. All in all I vote it a 5-star buy!

-John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool. I'm glad someone took advantage of that sale. I thought the price was very good on that one.. If you didn't get the land ownership chip, I'd suggest doing that before next years hunt. It is a must have with one of those garmin gps units...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That touch screen is pretty slick too. Being able to measure from point A to point B simply by tapping where you want to go is pretty fugking awesome.

Travis

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
789 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 83 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.