Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm gonna be hunting a completely new area with some fairly rugged terrain in a few weeks. Normally don't carry a GPS, but have decided I'm gonna buy one. Been a while since I've used a handheld, don't even know what happened to my old Garmin. Recommendations?

David

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the GPSmap 62s. It has been fantastic and I like the external antenna

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunted a new area this year. Downloaded the satellite image to my smartphone and left my GPS at home. Key is to download the image ahead of time. Wireless coverage isn't necessary for the GPS function.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I like the GPSmap 62s. It has been fantastic and I like the external antenna

hs

I've been looking at this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin-GPSMAP-reg-st/1813418.uts#BVRRWidgetID

Comments?

David

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I needed a serious update so I bought the Garmin Montana 600t for my Wyoming Region G mule deer hunt this year. It's somewhat larger and heavier than what we normally like to carry on a backpack hunt, but the larger screen sure is better for these old eyes of mine.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/int...dhelds/montana-600t-camo/prod145556.html

To complement it these 24 K micro card topo maps maximize the detailed info you get from this great tool.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...ct.jsp?productId=709848&type=product

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I still use the Garmin 60csx. It's a great unit. I have topos on it, so I hope it gives me a few more years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Garmin 64 is what I bought last year to replace a DeLorme PN-40. Also bought the onXmap for my state which has been useful. You can get the 64 for low bucks... upgraded versions of the same unit have additional features but you'll need to determine if those features are worthwhile for your uses. They were not worth it to me.

Before buying, I talked to a local GPS guru that tests different units for BLM/NFS/etc. He said that nothing has come close to the external antenna Garmins. They tested every GPS on the market. Fella was a wealth of info. I believe one of the courses they use is described below...

Link

In terms of touch screen GPS units... I've been told the screens become difficult to use in the cold. And I want a dedicated GPS rather than my cell, but that is just me.

Good luck.

Jason

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Garmin 64 is what I bought last year to replace a DeLorme PN-40. Also bought the onXmap for my state which has been useful. You can get the 64 for low bucks... upgraded versions of the same unit have additional features but you'll need to determine if those features are worthwhile for your uses. They were not worth it to me.

Before buying, I talked to a local GPS guru that tests different units for BLM/NFS/etc. He said that nothing has come close to the external antenna Garmins. They tested every GPS on the market. Fella was a wealth of info. I believe one of the courses they use is described below...

Link

In terms of touch screen GPS units... I've been told the screens become difficult to use in the cold. And I want a dedicated GPS rather than my cell, but that is just me.

Good luck.

Jason

Pretty much the same information I've been reading over and over on the external antenna and the touch screens. ST model may be a waste of money....

Thanks!

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
I needed a serious update so I bought the Garmin Montana 600t for my Wyoming Region G mule deer hunt this year. It's somewhat larger and heavier than what we normally like to carry on a backpack hunt, but the larger screen sure is better for these old eyes of mine.

To complement it these 24 K micro card topo maps maximize the detailed info you get from this great tool.

Jeff

You bought the regional map instead of the state?

Happy with it?

Thanks,

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Garmin Oregon 450. Main criteria was that it could use a chip. I, too, picked up the onxmaps chip for my state and it is a welcome addition. Rather than wonder who owns what land you know immediately.
This year alone I've gone places I wouldn't have without knowing exactly which property I was on.
The gps on the phone is better than I thought it would be. However, unless you are thinking ahead to get the maps while you can and are in a spot where you can charge the phone, I like the dedicated units because you can replace the batteries. The touchscreen on the 450 is nice. But I would be happy with a 62csx without it, too.
Love the gps!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm cheap. I have a bargain basement Garmin Etrex 20. It's slow to use and I often wish it had a touch screen but with HuntX maps, it does all I need done.
The manual is terrible, though. A beginner (me) will get nothing at all from it. I've been back to the store a number of times with questions that the young guys behind the counter always have the answers to.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking of getting the Garmin Oregon 600 as Cabelas has it on sale for $250 and getting the Xmaps. Anyone used the Oregon 600 and have any problems with it?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Jeff

Happy with it?

Thanks,

David

Yes sir David, I did. I was on my way from antelope hunting in Nevada when I stopped off in Cabelas in Boise, Idaho. I had a great salesman help me there and after he explained the difference in the regional map vs the state map, I had to jump on the regional map bargain.

The only difference in the regional and state map is that the state map shows private property owner names, and the regional map simply shows private property without identifying the owner. For me, the big deal with the Rocky Mountain regional is that you get Montana, Wyoming and Idaho all on one card for the same price as a single state card! That' a no brainer for me, and although I have only used it in Wyoming so far, I like it a lot.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
I still use the Garmin 60csx. It's a great unit. I have topos on it, so I hope it gives me a few more years.

That is what I use to use all the time. But This year I started using my smartphone and I actually like it better. I got the US Topo map app. and it gives me all the info I need.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a Garmin Map60 CS and was pleased with it. Went to the Rino650, radio capable. My hunting partner and I rarely if ever use the radio, but it is nice to track position if anything ever happens. Has SD card which holds lots of maps and details, like the touch screen and external antenna.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've used the older Garmin rhinos a lot. Nothing fancy on the GPS side, but the two way and location is nice. For myself, most of the time now I use the delorme paired to an iphone with maps. It is just to useful, messaging, maps etc in one.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Garmin Montana with the state map card. It really helps when you road hunt...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Etrex 20 the MT property mapper micro sd chip.

Low end unit....but a big upgrade from my Bushnell Backtrack.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Jeff

Happy with it?

Thanks,

David

Yes sir David, I did. I was on my way from antelope hunting in Nevada when I stopped off in Cabelas in Boise, Idaho. I had a great salesman help me there and after he explained the difference in the regional map vs the state map, I had to jump on the regional map bargain.

The only difference in the regional and state map is that the state map shows private property owner names, and the regional map simply shows private property without identifying the owner. For me, the big deal with the Rocky Mountain regional is that you get Montana, Wyoming and Idaho
all on one card for the same price as a single state card! That' a no brainer for me, and although I have only used it in Wyoming so far, I like it a lot.

Good information, thanks!

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Garmin Montana with the state map card. It really helps when you road hunt...

Thanks Shrap, not sure about the road hunting thing, never tried it. If I make it up,to Montana maybe you can take me on a ride along.

David

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.