Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm gonna be hunting a completely new area with some fairly rugged terrain in a few weeks. Normally don't carry a GPS, but have decided I'm gonna buy one. Been a while since I've used a handheld, don't even know what happened to my old Garmin. Recommendations?

David

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the GPSmap 62s. It has been fantastic and I like the external antenna

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunted a new area this year. Downloaded the satellite image to my smartphone and left my GPS at home. Key is to download the image ahead of time. Wireless coverage isn't necessary for the GPS function.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by huntsonora

hs

I've been looking at this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin-GPSMAP-reg-st/1813418.uts#BVRRWidgetID

Comments?

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I needed a serious update so I bought the Garmin Montana 600t for my Wyoming Region G mule deer hunt this year. It's somewhat larger and heavier than what we normally like to carry on a backpack hunt, but the larger screen sure is better for these old eyes of mine.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/int...dhelds/montana-600t-camo/prod145556.html

To complement it these 24 K micro card topo maps maximize the detailed info you get from this great tool.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...ct.jsp?productId=709848&type=product

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I still use the Garmin 60csx. It's a great unit. I have topos on it, so I hope it gives me a few more years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Garmin 64 is what I bought last year to replace a DeLorme PN-40. Also bought the onXmap for my state which has been useful. You can get the 64 for low bucks... upgraded versions of the same unit have additional features but you'll need to determine if those features are worthwhile for your uses. They were not worth it to me.

Before buying, I talked to a local GPS guru that tests different units for BLM/NFS/etc. He said that nothing has come close to the external antenna Garmins. They tested every GPS on the market. Fella was a wealth of info. I believe one of the courses they use is described below...

Link

In terms of touch screen GPS units... I've been told the screens become difficult to use in the cold. And I want a dedicated GPS rather than my cell, but that is just me.

Good luck.

Jason

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Garmin 64 is what I bought last year to replace a DeLorme PN-40. Also bought the onXmap for my state which has been useful. You can get the 64 for low bucks... upgraded versions of the same unit have additional features but you'll need to determine if those features are worthwhile for your uses. They were not worth it to me.

Before buying, I talked to a local GPS guru that tests different units for BLM/NFS/etc. He said that nothing has come close to the external antenna Garmins. They tested every GPS on the market. Fella was a wealth of info. I believe one of the courses they use is described below...

Link

In terms of touch screen GPS units... I've been told the screens become difficult to use in the cold. And I want a dedicated GPS rather than my cell, but that is just me.

Good luck.

Jason

Pretty much the same information I've been reading over and over on the external antenna and the touch screens. ST model may be a waste of money....

Thanks!

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
I needed a serious update so I bought the Garmin Montana 600t for my Wyoming Region G mule deer hunt this year. It's somewhat larger and heavier than what we normally like to carry on a backpack hunt, but the larger screen sure is better for these old eyes of mine.

To complement it these 24 K micro card topo maps maximize the detailed info you get from this great tool.

Jeff

You bought the regional map instead of the state?

Happy with it?

Thanks,

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Garmin Oregon 450. Main criteria was that it could use a chip. I, too, picked up the onxmaps chip for my state and it is a welcome addition. Rather than wonder who owns what land you know immediately.
This year alone I've gone places I wouldn't have without knowing exactly which property I was on.
The gps on the phone is better than I thought it would be. However, unless you are thinking ahead to get the maps while you can and are in a spot where you can charge the phone, I like the dedicated units because you can replace the batteries. The touchscreen on the 450 is nice. But I would be happy with a 62csx without it, too.
Love the gps!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm cheap. I have a bargain basement Garmin Etrex 20. It's slow to use and I often wish it had a touch screen but with HuntX maps, it does all I need done.
The manual is terrible, though. A beginner (me) will get nothing at all from it. I've been back to the store a number of times with questions that the young guys behind the counter always have the answers to.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking of getting the Garmin Oregon 600 as Cabelas has it on sale for $250 and getting the Xmaps. Anyone used the Oregon 600 and have any problems with it?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Jeff

Happy with it?

Thanks,

David

Yes sir David, I did. I was on my way from antelope hunting in Nevada when I stopped off in Cabelas in Boise, Idaho. I had a great salesman help me there and after he explained the difference in the regional map vs the state map, I had to jump on the regional map bargain.

The only difference in the regional and state map is that the state map shows private property owner names, and the regional map simply shows private property without identifying the owner. For me, the big deal with the Rocky Mountain regional is that you get Montana, Wyoming and Idaho all on one card for the same price as a single state card! That' a no brainer for me, and although I have only used it in Wyoming so far, I like it a lot.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
I still use the Garmin 60csx. It's a great unit. I have topos on it, so I hope it gives me a few more years.

That is what I use to use all the time. But This year I started using my smartphone and I actually like it better. I got the US Topo map app. and it gives me all the info I need.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a Garmin Map60 CS and was pleased with it. Went to the Rino650, radio capable. My hunting partner and I rarely if ever use the radio, but it is nice to track position if anything ever happens. Has SD card which holds lots of maps and details, like the touch screen and external antenna.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've used the older Garmin rhinos a lot. Nothing fancy on the GPS side, but the two way and location is nice. For myself, most of the time now I use the delorme paired to an iphone with maps. It is just to useful, messaging, maps etc in one.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Garmin Montana with the state map card. It really helps when you road hunt...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Etrex 20 the MT property mapper micro sd chip.

Low end unit....but a big upgrade from my Bushnell Backtrack.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Jeff

Happy with it?

Thanks,

David

Yes sir David, I did. I was on my way from antelope hunting in Nevada when I stopped off in Cabelas in Boise, Idaho. I had a great salesman help me there and after he explained the difference in the regional map vs the state map, I had to jump on the regional map bargain.

The only difference in the regional and state map is that the state map shows private property owner names, and the regional map simply shows private property without identifying the owner. For me, the big deal with the Rocky Mountain regional is that you get Montana, Wyoming and Idaho
all on one card for the same price as a single state card! That' a no brainer for me, and although I have only used it in Wyoming so far, I like it a lot.

Good information, thanks!

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Thanks Shrap, not sure about the road hunting thing, never tried it. If I make it up,to Montana maybe you can take me on a ride along.

David

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hunt onX map app on my iphone.

Absolutely outstanding!

Overlay sat images on top of ownership maps or topo maps with ownership info.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, that will help.

(g)

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Thanks, that will help.

(g)

Some guys use turrets to get more elevation to shoot longer ranges, I just use the electric window on my truck...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Thanks, that will help.

(g)

Some guys use turrets to get more elevation to shoot longer ranges, I just use the electric window on my truck...

Now I'm really confused.

I thought the road hunting involved hitting the elk with your truck.

David

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Thanks, that will help.

(g)

Now I'm really confused.

I thought the road hunting involved hitting the elk with your truck.

David
A few weeks ago I came within inches of doing just that. If she hadn't swung her head at the last second, she'd have taken off my mirror. Then I could have used my GPS to set a waypoint right there on the road so I could find her again.

Idaho now allows us to salvage road kill without burning a tag. About time.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

laugh

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If you will be hunting from a base camp and can charge your phone, I would check out the OnX Hunt app for smartphone. Its about 40 bucks for a year (or free with RMEF subscription).

The trick is to download the maps before you leave, then set your phone on airplane mode.

It could save you a lot of money. I got sick on buying garmin products, the interface is poor compared to a smartphone, expensive, map cards are expensive, and the technology will be outdated in a couple years.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wildcat33
If you will be hunting from a base camp and can charge your phone, I would check out the OnX Hunt app for smartphone. Its about 40 bucks for a year (or free with RMEF subscription).

The trick is to download the maps before you leave, then set your phone on airplane mode.

It could save you a lot of money. I got sick on buying garmin products, the interface is poor compared to a smartphone, expensive, map cards are expensive, and the technology will be outdated in a couple years.

Wildcat

I had completely dismissed the cell phone idea, now I'm starting to change my mind. $40 to try? Hell, that would make a good backup if nothing else. Still leaning towards purchasing a gps, but may get the app first just to check it out.

Thanks,

David

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My Garmin GPS MAP 62s is the best investment I've made in a long time. Coupled with a mini SD for Colorado,it's been a real asset.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Been looking at this unit as well because of the larger screen and micro card capability. Do the models with an external antenna have better reception or just a different feature?

My main desire is to get one that is fairly simple to use, not a big fan of electronics that require a lot of steps to perform simple tasks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I'm thinking of getting the Garmin Oregon 600 as Cabelas has it on sale for $250 and getting the Xmaps. Anyone used the Oregon 600 and have any problems with it?

I have a 550. It seems to be a good enough unit. I mostly use my Alpha, however, as it is just as good and I can keep track of my dog too!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a Montana 600 with the land owner chip just to keep from getting chewed out.

Hard to keep track of BLM, deeded, etc.

If I get caught trespassing I'm gonna just point at the gps and say it must be off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SamOlson,
I have run into more than enough people who act like they own the land and bluster enough to keep people off. We even had an illegal outfitter in CO post signs one year and we were pretty sure he was on public land. Later, we saw his phony signs in the bed of his pickup. He was simply putting them up to scare people off.
Just about every time I have access to private land someone comes wandering across it and claims to have permission or that it is public land.
So great to know where you are and be able to show it to someone.
So far this year I was able to hunt BLM land that I just wasn't sure about before. Great stuff!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Been using a now discontinued Garmin 60csx for several years and have been extremely happy with it. The landowner chip for the state you are hunting is the only way to go for all the reasons listed above.

With that being said, I just picked up a Garmin Rino 650. Weighs less than my 60csx when you add in the small 2 way radio I usually carry. Being able to keep track of my hunting partner (and vice versa) seems like a good idea. Cabelas had them on sale for 329.00.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 338WIN
SamOlson,
I have run into more than enough people who act like they own the land and bluster enough to keep people off. We even had an illegal outfitter in CO post signs one year and we were pretty sure he was on public land. Later, we saw his phony signs in the bed of his pickup. He was simply putting them up to scare people off.
Just about every time I have access to private land someone comes wandering across it and claims to have permission or that it is public land.
So far this year I was able to hunt BLM land that I just wasn't sure about before. Great stuff!
In Idaho it's illegal to post public land unless you have an exclusive use lease on it. I don't know what the penalty is for doing it, though. The X maps are great for sorting out what is or isn't private.

Idaho has a unique trespass law. We have huge chunks of private rangeland that can't be differentiated from public land. In many places, the public and private land are checkerboarded in small plots. It's a nightmare to keep straight. So...the law is that if the land isn't cultivated or irrigated, it MUST be posted or it's open for hunting without permission. The regulations specify what's legal posting. Fences don't count since BLM & Nat Forest land is often fenced for grazing.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
SamOlson,
In Idaho it's illegal to post public land unless you have an exclusive use lease on it. I don't know what the penalty is for doing it, though. The X maps are great for sorting out what is or isn't private.

Idaho has a unique trespass law. We have huge chunks of private rangeland that can't be differentiated from public land. In many places, the public and private land are checkerboarded in small plots. It's a nightmare to keep straight. So...the law is that if the land isn't cultivated or irrigated, it MUST be posted or it's open for hunting without permission. The regulations specify what's legal posting. Fences don't count since BLM & Nat Forest land is often fenced for grazing.
Are the exclusive leases that then allow posting on state land? Have never heard of anything like that for either USFS or BLM.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some state land is leased. The law specifies that all school endowment land must be managed for maximum return. However, most of it is open for hunting. A large amount of it is located where it's not good for much commercially other than grazing. Grazing land isn't considered an exclusive lease. A GPS that shows land ownership will show which land is state and which is federal but other than that, you can't tell the difference. Hunt it and enjoy.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some state land is leased. The law specifies that all school endowment land must be managed for maximum return. However, most of it is open for hunting. A large amount of it is located where it's not good for much commercially other than grazing. Grazing land isn't considered an exclusive lease. A GPS that shows land ownership will show which land is state and which is federal but other than that, you can't tell the difference. Hunt it and enjoy.
I fully get all that. You're previous post hinted that there are public lands in ID that can be posted if someone has an exclusive lease. Who administers the public lands where it can be posted if someone has an exclusive lease?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SamOlson,

I see mining claims on public land posted. When I asked the one mine owner he said his insurance required him to post the land but it's public land. I came away not knowing whether or not trespass was legal. Clarification?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
An example is one I saw just a few days ago. It was a well that provided water to a subdivision near Ketchum. The well is on Nat Forest land. In this case it's not posted but the water dept. has the right to post it if they think it's unsafe for the public to be close to the well.
Another example is summer homes on forest land. They have long term leases and I'm pretty sure they can post them if they want to.
I don't know about mining claims. They often have heavy equipment sitting around that they don't want the public messing with.
For FS or BLM land, the nearest district office would likely be the place to go to determine what's exclusive or not. For state land in ID, you'd need to go to the state land board.

The Hunt X maps don't show leases. They just show what's private or public. In general, leases are very small plots and aren't an issue for hunting.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just found going to Plystore for my Android that a limited function onXmaps is a free download.

Also my phone maintain functionality on a single charge for 5 days in Airplane mode. I used the clock, alarm and map views daily.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
onXmaps South Dakota Premium is $29.99

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
SamOlson,

338, every year it gets harder to find good public hunting around here so I finally bit the bullet and upgraded GPS.

I hate gadgetry but the land owner chip should be pretty handy.

Now if I can remember how to use it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The land owner chip is a must have. Worth every penny. I have an Oregon 550 and it's been working like a champ for the last 3 years... Touch screen worked in 3 below zero in a snow storm. It does suck though, having to brush the snow off and affecting function though. There are pros to having a good ol push button GPS...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostwalker

Been looking at this unit as well because of the larger screen and micro card capability. Do the models with an external antenna have better reception or just a different feature?

My main desire is to get one that is fairly simple to use, not a big fan of electronics that require a lot of steps to perform simple tasks.

The external antenna Garmins are supposed to have the best reception in foliage, bad weather etc. I use mine in combined GPS & Glonass mode. Glonass uses the Russian system to add more satellites.

I think it's worth putting some effort into learning how to use a GPS. It's a handy tool, but you only get out of it what you put in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The GPS on my iPhone 4S stinks. I have two GPS apps on it and the better one can't seem to locate a satellite. The other one shows me a mile away. The $50 Bushnell at least can get me back to the car.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Foretrex 401.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The land owner chip is a must have. Worth every penny. I have an Oregon 550 and it's been working like a champ for the last 3 years... Touch screen worked in 3 below zero in a snow storm. It does suck though, having to brush the snow off and affecting function though. There are pros to having a good ol push button GPS...
My Etrex 20 with the push button works fine but I haven't yet found a way to carry it so the button doesn't get repeatedly pushed. It keeps messing with the navigation. I've tried a couple different pouches and pockets but it still gets punched.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An example is one I saw just a few days ago. It was a well that provided water to a subdivision near Ketchum. The well is on Nat Forest land. In this case it's not posted but the water dept. has the right to post it if they think it's unsafe for the public to be close to the well.
Another example is summer homes on forest land. They have long term leases and I'm pretty sure they can post them if they want to.
I don't know about mining claims. They often have heavy equipment sitting around that they don't want the public messing with.
For FS or BLM land, the nearest district office would likely be the place to go to determine what's exclusive or not. For state land in ID, you'd need to go to the state land board.

The Hunt X maps don't show leases. They just show what's private or public. In general, leases are very small plots and aren't an issue for hunting.
Sounds like much ado about nothing...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For the most part I agree. I don't know of any federal land leases where access would influence hunting to any degree.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really relevant to the topic, but could be helpful. My Garmin 450 has the carabiner clip. I usually have some sort of pack on and I clipped the gps to the adjuster strap on the waist belt and left it on. Helpful to have the track recorded. YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Garmin 62S and really like it, although its primitive when compared to the mapping of my iphone. I'm looking forward to the time when backcountry GPS units catch up.

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I picked up the Garmin Oregon 600 today for $219 at Cabelas. The base maps aren't that great, but I plan to get the Xhunt maps anyway. I figured for $219 it would be hard to beat.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really relevant to the topic, but could be helpful. My Garmin 450 has the carabiner clip. I usually have some sort of pack on and I clipped the gps to the adjuster strap on the waist belt and left it on. Helpful to have the track recorded. YMMV.

Do all Garmin units have the capability to leave it on and track record and if so, does doing so significantly reduce the time between battery changes?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know about all Garmins, but the Etrex 20 can have the tracking turned off and save a lot of battery juice. It's not continually checking the satellite locations that way. It's just maintaining the memory.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Do all Garmin units have the capability to leave it on and track record and if so, does doing so significantly reduce the time between battery changes?

It does reduce battery life. The Oregon 550, I carry, has an advertised battery life of about 16 hours. In real world use, I can keep it on all day when I'm hunting and have to charge it at the end of the day. I'd say realistically, I'd get about 10-12 hours of use from the 550. The 450 should have about the same battery life as the 550.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA, totally agree on the battery life. Get a long day out of a set. I used to just turn it on when I wanted to see confirm where I was. Now I leave it on most of the time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, totally agree on the battery life. Get a long day out of a set. I used to just turn it on when I wanted to see confirm where I was. Now I leave it on most of the time.

Yep, I used to turn it on and off. Batteries would last all 8 days of the hunt doing it that way, but hell it isn't as convenient as just leaving it on and the ability to track where you've been is great. Plus you don't have to wait for it to lock on to satellites. I just keep a few extra AA's in the pack incase I run low. I've got my settings as such that leaving it on doesn't waste a lot of the battery during the day. 15 second back light off and battery saver mode on. I also have a lot of the other bullchit turned off like geocaching mode. I also keep It in my pack in a side pocket where it is easy to get to when I need to look at it. While it's in that pocket, it doesn't seem to turn the backlight on so the battery lasts longer. I also run in WAAS mode and have heard that drains the battery more than the standard mode, but I couldn't see a difference.. One thing I like about my GPS is it takes pictures too. Crappy as they may be as compared to a real camera, it is nice that I don't have to pack another piece of equipment in the field. Here are some of the pics I've taken with it recently while out hunting:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The pictures are surprisingly good! I just discounted the camera (plus mine doesn't have one, anyway!)
Great rifles and gear, too!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In most of the places I hunt, I could find my way to the truck blindfolded and drunk. A GPS is handy, though, to tell me how far I've hiked and to find a shot animal if I have to leave it. The tracking is useful for that if nothing else.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by huntsonora

What he said!

Lost my original and had to get another GPSmap 62s, add a HUNT onxmaps chip for your state and go hunt.

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are nice pics...dual duty is not a bad thing. I can carry a few extra batteries just like I do for my Kestrel.

I don't have a GPS but am looking at a Montana 600 because I've read good comments about them. My hunting is changing to remote public ground and I wanted something I could use to find stand sites (and my way back out) in the dark.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I bought a Garmin Oregon 600 with the Montana State ownership chip.

Wish I bought one a long time ago. Instantly let's you know who you should call and ask for permission after you put a deer down.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tag. I was just about to start the exact same thread. Thanks all for the feedback!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Wish I bought one a long time ago. Instantly let's you know who you should call and ask for permission after you put a deer down.

Travis

Did antlerradar tell you to GFY?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Who?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In most of the places I hunt, I could find my way to the truck blindfolded and drunk. A GPS is handy, though, to tell me how far I've hiked and to find a shot animal if I have to leave it. The tracking is useful for that if nothing else.

I rolled for many years without a GPS even while owning one. Just couldn't justify the weight until... I shot a buck late, in new country, right at dark, no moon that night. My light all but died while finishing the animal. No problem because all I need to do was, "walk downhill". It got VERY dark to the point I was shuffling my feet. The terrain got rocky, I kicked a rock that rolled out into space and fell a good ways into the river. I had stayed on the ridge too long and had to shuffle back up and around. I still needed to wade the Boise River, was downstream from the Troutdale campground, and had already decided to make do without waders because I had hid them and no way would I find them in the dark. A vehicle came slowly down the road and it was my camp partners. They used their headlights for me to cross. I carry two flashlights, a smartphone/GPS/third light, and still stay out until well after dark.

Hunting partner shot an elk, tracked it for some time before finding it, got turned around, had to spend the night, mountain search and rescue found him the next day, he went back but was never able to locate the elk.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A couple years ago one of my partners thought he'd lost a deer he'd shot earlier in the day. We finally located it from circling magpies homing in on the gut pile. A gps would have saved an hour of looking and the pack out could have been finished before dark.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boise

I rolled for many years without a GPS even while owning one. Just couldn't justify the weight until... I shot a buck late, in new country, right at dark, no moon that night. My light all but died while finishing the animal. No problem because all I need to do was, "walk downhill". It got VERY dark to the point I was shuffling my feet. The terrain got rocky, I kicked a rock that rolled out into space and fell a good ways into the river. I had stayed on the ridge too long and had to shuffle back up and around. I still needed to wade the Boise River, was downstream from the Troutdale campground, and had already decided to make do without waders because I had hid them and no way would I find them in the dark. A vehicle came slowly down the road and it was my camp partners. They used their headlights for me to cross. I carry two flashlights, a smartphone/GPS/third light, and still stay out until well after dark.

Hunting partner shot an elk, tracked it for some time before finding it, got turned around, had to spend the night, mountain search and rescue found him the next day, he went back but was never able to locate the elk.

Some reasons there why everyone should own a GPS....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought a Garmin Oregon 600 with the Montana State ownership chip.

Travis

flave, are the 600's worth a damn? I saw they are going to be on sale at Cabela's for $219.00....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mine has been awesome.

I wish I could have got it for that price.

Mine says Oregon 600. Touch screen has been great so far. I hady doubts...

Travis

I remember back in maybe 1997 when I was guiding in Idaho, I had a hunter come into camp and ask if I would set up his GPS and show him how to work it. Hell I didn't even know what it was! I have since embraced the "Dark Side", and now use my Garmin Rino 650 every day when I'm out in the woods. In those days I always knew exactly where I was and could go cross country anywhere and find my way home. I still have a very good sense of direction, I'm not sure how it happens but I always end up coming out right where I thought I was. My brother however doesn't have that ability. A few years ago we were in the timber in a good amount of snow and had split up to cover more ground looking for mountain whitetails. We had small Motorola handheld radios, and he called asking me where he was! Of course I couldn't answer that, and he eventually found his way back. Shortly after that we did a little research and found the Garmin Rino GPS Units. Now when I push the call button it shows him on his map exactly where I am, and likewise. I no longer worry about having to find him. The biggest thing is to always take the time to turn that thing on first thing at the rig and set that waypoint unless it's already there. I love the Rino. We started out with the old 530's and have since upgraded to the touchscreen 650's. It is so nice with the OnXmaps chip to be able to see right where I am.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I notice that the Oregon series is generally less expensive than the Montana series with similar features but the reviews of the Oregon series are as good or better than the Montana so I'm now leaning towards the Oregon because of price.

Some reviews also said the Montana was more "configurable" and better suited for an experienced user which I am not.

I simply want to find my way in the dark to a known stand location and be able to retrace out in the dark. As near as I read, the Oregon will do that for me just fine for about $100 cheaper.

Am I missing anything?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
GW, I finally took the Montana 600 hunting last Friday and used it to mark some range monitoring sites today.

It's pretty easy to use, even for a tech ignorant cowhand.

The landowner chip is uber.

I'm not sure about the Oregon but if it is chip compatible(and cheaper) I would get that.

The Montana was on sale last winter otherwise I might have bought something else. Think it was $350 or 400.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just reread the thread, the Oregon 600 for $219 sounds like a great deal.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have had an Oregon 450 for several years now and find it very valuable. I am not an high tech person and feel very comfortable w/ map and compass. The X Maps chips are to me most valuable for verifying public and private land and planning routes. I too use the Rocky Mt. combo that gives Mt. Id. and Wy. for $99.00 and also have a Nv. state map.

I like finding the boundaries between public and private and knowing exactly where I am. Being on the border of irrigated Ag. land for coyote calling can be very productive and I don't want to trespass.

I hunt frequently in Idaho which has hundreds of miles of backcountry roads that frequently pass through or near private property. Not having to depend on fence lines can help you be sure and not miss opportunities or trespass.

I consider my gps and Lrf to be game changers that have made a major improvement in my hunting opportunities.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Am I missing anything?

No.

Travis

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought the Oregon 600 at Cabelas during that sale and just used it in the woods yesterday while deer hunting. I didnt rely in it to navigate me back to my vehicle as I knew well the land on which I was hunting but did "act" as though I needed it. It worked flawlessly: picked up satellites extremely quickly and even recorded my track from waypoint to waypoint while inside of my vest. All in all I vote it a 5-star buy!

-John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool. I'm glad someone took advantage of that sale. I thought the price was very good on that one.. If you didn't get the land ownership chip, I'd suggest doing that before next years hunt. It is a must have with one of those garmin gps units...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That touch screen is pretty slick too. Being able to measure from point A to point B simply by tapping where you want to go is pretty fugking awesome.

Travis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1. I had a touchscreen with camera and sold it. The screen was almost impossible to read in sunlight and the touch screen is not fun to use in winter, when you need to take your gloves off to use it. Buttons for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That touch screen is pretty slick too. Being able to measure from point A to point B simply by tapping where you want to go is pretty fugking awesome.

Travis

Very convenient Flave. My elk hunting partner has been using his old Etrex for about 10 years now and has been eyeballing my 550 since I bought it about 4 years ago. As far as the touch screen goes, I have not had a problem seeing it in any kind of day light. I've also used it in sub zero temps with the snow blowing on it. That's about the only time I didn't care for it. Wipe the snow off and it moves the screen view. Not a big deal, but something to think about nonetheless.. I don't think I'd give mine up because of it though..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hand held I use a Garmin 64s and my wife uses a Garmin Montana. I have the Colorado Land Owners chip as well but it lives in the Nuvi in my truck. Wouldn't be without it. I don't need it in the hand held as we scope out the area before setting out.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am the non-conformist of the group, as I use a DeLorme PN-60. I wanted buttons instead of a touch screen, and at the time that I bought it, it had a much better mapping program. When my buddy an I went to Montana hunting last year he had a Garmin with the Montana state map. Mine showed detail better, but the state map was nice. There were a couple of places where our units showed a difference in public/private parcels, so we always went with the more conservative and erred on the side of caution.

I would buy another DeLorme in a heartbeat because I think it is more versatile, but being able to use the landowner info. from the Hunt x maps would be nice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Garmin 64s is also a button machine and I much prefer it. When we are not hunting the GPS's get used for Geocaching and in that mode the Garmins are far ahead of the pack. Just Saying.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like Cabelas has both the Oregon 600 and 650 on sale now for 219.99.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duckcall
I am the non-conformist of the group, as I use a DeLorme PN-60. I wanted buttons instead of a touch screen, and at the time that I bought it, it had a much better mapping program. When my buddy an I went to Montana hunting last year he had a Garmin with the Montana state map. Mine showed detail better, but the state map was nice. There were a couple of places where our units showed a difference in public/private parcels, so we always went with the more conservative and erred on the side of caution.

I would buy another DeLorme in a heartbeat because I think it is more versatile, but being able to use the landowner info. from the Hunt x maps would be nice.
My choice/rationale as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hunted a new area this year. Downloaded the satellite image to my smartphone and left my GPS at home. Key is to download the image ahead of time. Wireless coverage isn't necessary for the GPS function.

What Boise said. I use a pay app for my phone and like it. I shot my eTrex with a .40 SW.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

What Boise said. I use a pay app for my phone and like it. I shot my eTrex with a .40 SW.

Just make sure you carry extra batteries for that smart phone. We had to drive a lost elk hunter back to his camp because his smart phone battery died and he didn't have a gps..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice thing about my Etrex - it uses 2 AA's. They're cheap and readily available. Battery failure isn't a worry.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Etrex Vista. Always gets me home

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I put my phone on airplane mode and it gets great battery life -- that or simply turn it off till I need it. But my eTrex got better battery life, however, comparing my old eTrex to my phone is like comparing a go-cart to an F150.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm gonna be hunting a completely new area with some fairly rugged terrain in a few weeks. Normally don't carry a GPS, but have decided I'm gonna buy one. Been a while since I've used a handheld, don't even know what happened to my old Garmin. Recommendations?

David

None. Map and compass. It really works, weigh's next to nothing, and doesn't need batteries or good weather. smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Garmin 64 is on sale at SW for $180.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's a really good price. Hmm.. I wonder if I could take the chip out of my 62 and stick it in a 64. I love my maps.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not just backpacking. Currently using an Oregon 450 with free topos and also this year used onX Hunt app subscription on an Android phone (which was glitchy at times but invaluable info). Being able to have satellite images, land ownership, maps with topography is super handy, especially in new areas. When practical, I leave the tracking on selectively. Most handily I use it to save portions of a track showing a road that is not on the base map - so it'll showup etc. Especially helpful with missing two-tracks or you're in an area that spans several 24Ks. Next one I get will have a bigger screen, not tablet big but 4"+, definitely AA batteries, and thinking a camera would eliminate gadget. As an aside, it's uber techy but have not heard much regarding building custom layers and chit but the potential is endless. Kinda think the next generation of devices will allow better flow between devices and selectivity of what's on the display. Being able to more readily blend some of what is on the 'chips' with what is available from other sources (without having to be a GIS nerd) would be cool. Always will like to have the 'where the hell is the rig' solution, not because it keeps me from getting frickin lost but it has been shown to dramatically reduce how bad I'm lost and how much work it is to get found!

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Marble. The brass pin on model. 1947 mfg date gift from Dad that year.

Last edited by Rug3; 12/13/15.

BE STRONG IN THE LORD, AND IN HIS MIGHTY POWER. ~ Ephesians 6:10

Socialism is a philosophy of failure,
the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't agree with the no GPS. Agree you have to have map and compass and know how to use them.

But, I've been in new locations with my friends and they have been so far off in where they thought we were it would have been bad in an emergency.

The GPS is always right. I never thought I would need anything more complicated than a location from a gps. BUT the ability to add to intelligence wheCan't agree with the no GPS. Agree you have to have map and compass and know how to use them.

But, I've been in new locations with my friends and they have been so far off in where they thought we were it would have been bad in an emergency.

The GPS is always right. I never thought I would need anything more complicated than a location from a gps to verify on my map. BUT the ability to add to intelligence when hunting and orienteering is changing the game. And they are only getting better!

Lewis and Clark used a compass to make a pretty good map. But they took every opportunity to use a sextant to fix their location according to celestial elements because they were more accurate.

Same concepts, just 200 years of technolgy advancing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Can't agree with the no GPS. Agree you have to have map and compass and know how to use them.

The GPS is always right. I never thought I would need anything more complicated than a location from a gps. BUT the ability to add to intelligence wheCan't agree with the no GPS. Agree you have to have map and compass and know how to use them.

The GPS is always right. I never thought I would need anything more complicated than a location from a gps to verify on my map. BUT the ability to add to intelligence when hunting and orienteering is changing the game. And they are only getting better!

Lewis and Clark used a compass to make a pretty good map. But they took every opportunity to use a sextant to fix their location according to celestial elements because they were more accurate.

Same concepts, just 200 years of technolgy advancing.

I agree... I know what a cubit is too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to use it over a tape measure or laser range finder... wink I saw a little compass watch the other day and thought of Brad... laugh

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
GPS in your chest pack, compass around your neck, map in a ziplock in your pocket. They all have a role. A map/compass is handy for making sure you are heading in the right direction especially when you can see landmarks. But GPS can save you a lot of screwing around, and you don't have to leave ribbon trails like the old timers did in trough country where taking a slight wrong turn can mean going down the wrong drainage and a lot of extra hiking and effort. I find old ribbon trails all over the place coming off of mountains, but I'm not into marking up the landscape like that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The GPS is always right.

True, right up to the point when it isn't. I've seen them fail, and I'm not talking about battery life either. And it was a Garmin.

Personally, I go minimalist with a Foretrex 401. High sensitivity receiver, but I can do without a map on a screen, since I always have a paper copy.

Really helps in the dark or in really thick brush like we had this past August. Hard to know if you're on the right route when you can only see five feet in front of you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The only reason I carry a GPS is the landowner maps. Some of this checker boarded BMA, BLM, State, private non-BMA schit is a nightmare. The GPS shows me if I'm right or wrong and keeps track of everywhere I went in case there is a landowner waiting at the gate.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That would be the one reason I'd upgrade.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use the Delorme with my iphone earthmate app. It does a good job showing you land ownership and good enough mapping if you have the maps downloaded to your phone.

I pay a lot of attention to landmarks, and always surveying where I am in relation. I do so for a lot of reasons, sometimes the correct drainage, sometimes noticing interesting features the are worth exploring at another time.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The GPS is always right.

No, it's not.

A few years ago I apparently pushed enough wrong buttons in wrong order and my gps ended up 180 degrees off.

Nor do I have a what buttons in which order I pushed to make it correct again.......I got it to work correctly only after I got home........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Happens with compasses too. Had a Silva Ranger that no matter how I turned it, how I spun it, or twisted it - that dammed needle kept pointing the same direction! Had a hell of time.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey fellows, I just went to put my new Armorsuit screensaver on my Montana 600 and realized that I'd ordered one for the Garmin Oregon 600t/650t instead.

If anyone needs it let me know. It's new in the opened package. I paid $10 for it.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey fellows, I just went to put my new Armorsuit screensaver on my Montana 600 and realized that I'd ordered one for the Garmin Oregon 600t/650t instead.

If anyone needs it let me know. It's new in the opened package. I paid $10 for it.

this is it: http://www.armorsuit.com/garmin-oregon-600-t-650-t-gps-screen-protector.html

Jeff

K
KHH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Being blessed with the worst sense of direction in history ,I've used GPS's since they first came out. I've probably owned 6 different ones. I currently have a Garmin eTrex HCX and a Garmin Oregon 450t I use them both. The newer models have some reception advantages having GlONASS but it's not huge. The 450 has a 3 Axis compass, which is why I bought it, with the eTrex you have to be moving for the compass to work. I haven't had to many reception issues , both have high sensitivity antennas in them , But the Quad Helix antennas on the Garmin 62 & 64 are a bit better. It was cheaper to buy the T (topo) model 450 otherwise I would have bought the regular 450. There's really good topo maps free on the Internet I use them. I use the 450 most I like the touch screen nothing to get hung up on , the eTrex has a joy stick , most the time I just have it in my pocket. I don't leave it on it only takes a few seconds to lock on after the initial lock in a area. I carry extra batteries and , ALWAYS have a compass usually 2 , I had a GPS go loopy in a Lightning storm years ago. I use mine for way more than just locating camp or the truck . You can do a lot in conjunction with Google Earth. If I bought one now it would be a Montana or a Monterra because of the bigger screen.

Not sure on the cell phone's I always thought they had to have reception for the GPS part to work . Most place's I hunt I never have reception and when I do the battery is at 30%.

Some older models they're phasing out can be had for a pretty good price. 3 axis compass and water proof were important to me , GLONASS would be nice. I don't know what your budget is but here are some models I've seen on sale. You'll have to look and see if they offer what you want. Hope this helps KH

Garmin eTrex 30
Garmin 62
Garmin 64
Oregon 450
Oregon 600

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
The GPS is always right.

True, right up to the point when it isn't. I've seen them fail, and I'm not talking about battery life either. And it was a Garmin.

Personally, I go minimalist with a Foretrex 401. High sensitivity receiver, but I can do without a map on a screen, since I always have a paper copy.

Really helps in the dark or in really thick brush like we had this past August. Hard to know if you're on the right route when you can only see five feet in front of you.

The 401 is also my favorite for hunting in areas where I have a topo for sure. I have a 62st for roaming around though.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Relying on GPS is an excellent way to get hopelessly lost. I use the top of the line Magellan for work and play. It is amazing how often that thing does not know where it is.

The trick to not getting lost is keeping tabs on where you are, even when using a GPS. If you do that, you'll know when the GPS has gone of the rails in time to keep from losing yourself.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Relying on GPS is an excellent way to get hopelessly lost. I use the top of the line Magellan for work and play. It is amazing how often that thing does not know where it is.

The trick to not getting lost is keeping tabs on where you are, even when using a GPS. If you do that, you'll know when the GPS has gone of the rails in time to keep from losing yourself.

Sounds like you better get a better GPS. Garmin makes some good units you should take a look at...

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wireless coverage isn't necessary for the GPS function.

No, but battery power is.

Still using my Oregon 400 T

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If you say so. I've used Garmins before. They weren't any better. I have also used the backpack style GIS accuracy level units. It seems to me that people who feel they can rely on GPS don't pay close enough attention to it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I primarily use a map & compass and if I need to verify my location I use an app on my iphone.

I used to own a garmin gps years ago and sold it because I wasn't using it enough to carry it then last year I finally got one again but that same day I found an app for my phone which easily outperformed my new garmin. I returned the garmin and I don't think I'll ever even consider buying another gps again. The resolution on my phone is outstanding and it's easier to use!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.