Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I finally got back to shoot that Ruger a bit. And no, we did not find Bambi for my Grand daughter. We saw one scrawny sick looking white tail doe which I would have fed to the dogs if we had shot it.

I had a bunch of 120 moly Remingtons loaded up for my son's rifle so I shot a bunch of them today as well as some 120 BT and 95 gr Hornies at 132 yds from sand bags.

I had the 4200 off and back on. This is how she initially shot at 130 yds with the factory unaltered plastic stock back in place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then I started twisting turrets to bring the group back to poa. And schitt went to hell in a hurry. I could not even keep the shots on the proper target.

I went in and pulled a scope off of the 22-243AI which has always been a damn fine shooter. (YES I know, it was another Bushy, 6-18 Trophy.) Ignore the hole in the top of this first target. It should have been taped over as it does not belong.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am not sure still if the 4200 has gone to crap, or if the barrel is just that sensitive to heat. Cause I did let her get warm for a bit, and that coincides with the rifle becoming a wanna be shotgun.

I did not even save the targets from a couple groups of 120's and also a couple 95's that were all over and off the paper.

I put sixty rounds through it today, and the only thing I know for sure is that it is getting a new barrel.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How much do you want for the barrel? I'll mount it,set a 6x MQ on top and say "Toldjaso".

Prolly take 5 minutes.

Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep

I can throw a Bushy farther than I'd trust it. smirk

There's possibly other issues, but start with a real scope

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Boxer
How much do you want for the barrel? I'll mount it,set a 6x MQ on top and say "Toldjaso".

Prolly take 5 minutes.

Hint.

When I get it done, I will pm you for an address.

I would be glad to ship it gratis, just to see what happens.

Course, I'll have to scrub the moly out of it before shipment. Would not want that Paradise humidity to ruin it grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pulling the barrel is a last resort effort for me. I can't swap most barres myself so it's a $600-700 proposition for me depending on smith and barrel used. I'd try just about anything else first, but I don't know the back story on this rifle and what you have tried other than another scope

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
It seems apparent that as the rifle warmed up vertical stringing increased. My first check would be for a bound mag box. Second check would be bedding issue.

I dont believe that the scope is causing this issue. The evidence points otherwise. cool

FOREST

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Takes but a coupla seconds to gun a rifle without the magbox/follower/spring,as IMMEDIATE diagnosis. Hint.

The glass is schit and wellllllllllll beyond suspect. 'Nother hint.

Starting at the fhuqking start...don't not ever not bear fruit.

BEEG fhuqking hint.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes....okay..

I was trying to buy my first leupie on the classifieds, but I was too slow.

Then I go and read that Leupie has gone to schitt. And now it's go Super Chicken or go home.

Damn, its tough for us bottom feeders to keep up.

As per the mag box, It floats several 1/1000's with the stock mounted.

I am beginning the search for a 6x42 or possibly a 10x42 Super Chicken for a test vehicle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd pull the magazine, follower, & spring torque everything to spec and go shoot. So what else have you tried besides switching scopes? I doubt it's a barrel problem throwing groups that large.

Even though I want to try an SS, Leupold scopes are still a good value especially the VX2 3-9X40. 3200 series Bushnell's aren't horrible either as long as you don't twist the turrets a lot. Not everyone is a turret twister nor do they have to be to shoot well and be successful.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Leupold scopes are still a good value especially the VX2 3-9X40. 3200 series Bushnell's aren't horrible either as long as you don't twist the turrets a lot. Not everyone is a turret twister nor do they have to be to shoot well and be successful. [/quote]

This^^^^^^^^. + if you think that tasco has surpassed Leupold and is now the front runner in the optics world. You have been fooled by a fool. Jesus he (stick) is right about the do nothingcunts to bad he hates his biggest fans.

Looks like with your knowledge and hunting style a 3x9x40 VX2 would be fine if you wanted to push to 600yards get the CDS model and don't sweet the small stuff.

Best advice is to remove the box and give it a spin if a barrel is in the cards. Obermeyer Krieger. Would be top of the list.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/18/15.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well after translating some of Schticks posts on the Super Chicken, I ordered a 12X with the Mil rad reticle...

I am not going to evict the Leupolds that reside here...but I've got my service needs covered with the ones I have...

but this will not be my last Super Chicken ordered...

I'd recommend giving one a road test...if ya don't like it, I am sure you can find a new home for it and get your money back via the Campfire Classifieds...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wtf is a Super Chicken?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fredIII
if you think that tasco has surpassed Leupold and is now the front runner in the optics world. You have been fooled by a fool. Jesus he (stick) is right about the do nothingcunts to bad he hates his biggest fans.

Fred,

The new Super Snipers (i.e. Super Chickens) have nothing at all to do with Tasco, and haven't since SWFA bought the brand.

I thought you knew that???

Last edited by David_Walter; 11/18/15.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A really well built and dependable tasco now owned by bushnell that is sold exclusively buy swift. And dirty cheep is the draw.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/18/15.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Your right they are owned by bushnell last I heard I own several they are great scopes for the money. But not everyone needs turnups and mill dots. I use them when I need.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by fredIII
if you think that tasco has surpassed Leupold and is now the front runner in the optics world. You have been fooled by a fool. Jesus he (stick) is right about the do nothingcunts to bad he hates his biggest fans.

Fred,

The new Super Snipers (i.e. Super Chickens) have nothing at all to do with Tasco, and haven't since SWFA bought the brand.

I thought you knew that???

Not sure if swift owns the brand or the exclusive rights to retail. I have a contact at swift that I have done lots of business with next time I have his ear I will ask and find out.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fred, what are you doing? Midget troll said swfa fixed [bleep]. That's it. Nothing else is worth trying, ask him, he'll tell you. Nothing else works. Stop trying to cause trouble.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sorry I should know better. laugh

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Idaho Shooter - If you're interested, SWFA has a trade-in program that gave me a very generous allowance. Check it out on their site.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The classifieds have a 10x for sale right now for 275.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.