Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
This question was asked on another forum. If you had $5K to throw at a rifle including optics, and you dont reload and want to shoot paper and steel at 1000 yards what would you buy? My response was Tikka CTR .260, SS 5-20X56 HD, quality rings and mounts of choice, Harris or Atlas bi-pod, rear bag, Midway shooting mat, and a case of ammo and go shooting.

Now I got pretty much called an idiot and he should be looking towards a GAP, Southern Precision, Or other custom builder using a custom action. So if I'm an idiot how would you put together a $5K rifle including optics? The one stipulation is you can't use factory (is. Rem, Sav) actions because they dont hold value.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5k gets you alot of rifle and scope that you can say you spent 5 k on.
Paper and steel can be shot with a Rem 700 action, good barrel blank, McMillan stock, Leupold scope, mounts and have a smith true, chamber and bed. Use the rest to buy reloading equipment and components.
Problem solved.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's how I'd roll,

Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor - $1000

SWFA 12X - $300

Quality picatinny rings - $150

Harris bipod - $100

Rear bag - $40

Decent carry bag/mat - $150

Leica CRF 1600 LRF - $800

TOTAL: $2540

You have money left for plenty of ammo, or some reloading gear/supplies.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Sako TRG + Nightforce 5.5-20

or

Tikka T3 dropped into a McMillan stock, with AI mag conversion + a SWFA 12x mil quad.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Here's how I'd roll,

Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor - $1000

This is rifle was recommend by others.

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Sako TRG + Nightforce 5.5-20

I linked him to a very similar set up on GB for which still happens to be there.
Sako TRG with NF 5.5-22

Last edited by taylorce1; 11/09/15. Reason: Fix link
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
GAP Non Typical and a Busnell LRHS.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If I had $5K to spend on such a rig, I'd probably see how much performance I could get without blowing it all.

Then, I'd cure that "non-reloader" status with some good reloading equipment.

Just me.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I followed MontanaMarines advice. Except I already had the Leica LRF and Harris. Spent a bit more on glass and I do without the rear bag, and boughten mat.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The heck I can't use a Remington action. grin

[Linked Image]

Been shooting this short action Remington for 20 years now. Every now and again it gets a new barrel. Just replaced the Leupold in the photo with a new Vortex. It's shot "high master" scores in NRA prone competition, and has also been used for hunting varmints, predators, deer & bear.

Krieger barrel (one of several that have been on the rifle). This one is a .308 Win, but could just as easily have been a 6.5 of one flavor or another.

Trued Rem action despite your protests. With tuned Rem trigger.

McMillan stock.

Badger base & rings.

Saved money by not having a fancy finish on the barrel & action. I just spray a little Krylon now and again. Also didn't spend money on flutes or fancy stuff.

The ol' Green Machine is still a great shooter. Lots of good rifles out there. I like your Tikka idea too.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd get a GAP also.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
if I were just starting to get into the LRH game. I'd WAY rather have a $1000 gun (CTR or RPR) and $1000 optic (LRHS, SS, SHV)..... and $3000 worth of rounds to shoot.... than five grand in gun and glass. You truly don't 'know' schitt till you sent a couple thousand rounds.... that's the most 'expensive' part of the game.... rounds, and the time to shoot them.

I see $5000 rigs all the time..... Eight outta Ten of their drivers couldn't hit the ground if they fell outta the truck. Why? Because they don't shoot/hunt them.... they're too pretty.... or too expensive.... or too heavy.... or there's vaginal scaring.... etc. I've seen a few of those rifles solidly whip my ass too.... but it's typically because said owner had invested in actually shooting it.

If you want a $5000 pseudo-cock to impress your ignorant friends..... then there are plenty of options from a GAP to a TRG to a full-custom with the girth and length all specified by you. If you wanna learn to shoot stuff at extended range.... then spent primers, not cool rifles, are the ultimate tutorial.... and that's where I'd sink at least half the budget.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
if I were just starting to get into the LRH game. I'd WAY rather have a $1000 gun (CTR or RPR) and $1000 optic (LRHS, SS, SHV)..... and $3000 worth of rounds to shoot.... than five grand in gun and glass. You truly don't 'know' schitt till you sent a couple thousand rounds.... that's the most 'expensive' part of the game.... rounds, and the time to shoot them.

I see $5000 rigs all the time..... Eight outta Ten of their drivers couldn't hit the ground if they fell outta the truck. Why? Because they don't shoot/hunt them.... they're too pretty.... or too expensive.... or too heavy.... or there's vaginal scaring.... etc. I've seen a few of those rifles solidly whip my ass too.... but it's typically because said owner had invested in actually shooting it.

If you want a $5000 pseudo-cock to impress your ignorant friends..... then there are plenty of options from a GAP to a TRG to a full-custom with the girth and length all specified by you. If you wanna learn to shoot stuff at extended range.... then spent primers, not cool rifles, are the ultimate tutorial.... and that's where I'd sink at least half the budget.

Sorta what I was trying to say, just said better...

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I love it and agree whole heartedly....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shortactionsmoker can get you into a Tikka T3 with a varmint barrel in 308 for a good price (get the threaded model). You can use the "Beretta bucks" promotion to get four more five-round mags for free.

Wait a few weeks for SWFA's annual black Friday sale and score a SS 10X MQ (mil/mil) scope with rings and lens covers for around $300.

Buy a box of factory Hornady 168 AMAX Match in 308 and you're still under $1,000.

That's where I'd start.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Great post DS, this is advice I'm planning to follow..

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Shortactionsmoker can get you into a Tikka T3 with a varmint barrel in 308 for a good price (get the threaded model). You can use the "Beretta bucks" promotion to get four more five-round mags for free.

Wait a few weeks for SWFA's annual black Friday sale and score a SS 10X MQ (mil/mil) scope with rings and lens covers for around $300.

Buy a box of factory Hornady 168 AMAX Match in 308 and you're still under $1,000.

That's where I'd start.

Pretty sure the Tikka promo ended 10/31

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would get a trued 700 type action with a McMillan stock simply to have a good platform. Then I would without a doubt get a good aftermarket barrel as even a crappy action can shoot well with a good barrel.

The one way to guarantee an accurate rifle is to buy a good tube, have a proper straight chamber cut, square the barrel and action up and have it bedded properly. I would personally not go for a factory rifle as you have very little control over what you might end up with. Around here I have even seen Tikkas not shoot as well as most would expect. (not saying a custom cannot shoot poorly but you have more control over what you will end up with)

Then just ad a decent scope.

I am not saying you should spend all of the $5000 on building the rifle but if you have the money why not start with something that has the most potential to be modified in the future?

Depending on what the guy would like to hunt would determine the cal.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 11/10/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would get a trued 700 type action with a McMillan stock simply to have a good platform.

For one of my rifles I ordered a brand new Remington 700 in .30-06. I sold the barrel and stock. I had it built by a nationally known 'smith who put it in an McMillan MBR Tooley stock. It never made a group smaller than 1 1/2" at 100 yards. He rebarreled it and it still didn't shoot. I took it to a local 'smith who put on a new Pac-Nor barrel. It still didn't shoot. I sent it to Pac-Nor who did the smithing and barreling this time and it still didn't shoot. I gave it to another 'smith and told him I didn't want anything to do with it.

There is a verse in the Bible that something like, "There is a time to give up" or something like that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Thanks DS this is what I was thinking as well ,and this was my post in response to an FTR shooter suggesting he build a $2000+ custom Savage for FTR shooting.

Originally Posted by taylorce1
Or some sub $1500 production rifles. I believe that if a guy is starting out shooting long range they can learn a lot before they even need to drop money on customizing a rifle. It's too easy to get caught up thinking you need to spend a lot of money for a LR rifle. If I were to do it all over again I'd buy a decent factory rifle with a stock built for prone shooting, excellent optics (more people cut corners on this myself included), and a ton of ammunition or quality reloading components.

In the OP's case I'd rather spend $2000-2500 of his budget on the rifle and optics. Then the other $2500 on ammunition. He'll learn a lot more sending lead downrange, than he will spending $5K on a rifle and scope.

I tried explaining to the OP how I spent $1600+ on building a fast twist .243 Savage but bought cheap optics. I learned to shoot it okay to 600 yards, which was all the range I had. In the end I punted, and sold the whole rifle off, my job had gotten in the way and I was moving around TX, KS, & CO to avoid furlough.

I'd love to try and get back into it, and give the SRM a try since I only live four hours from Raton. However right now I can't walk (shattered ankle), or drive, and I'm out of work for 6+ months so I probably shouldn't spend the money either. I really enjoyed your post on using the RAR Predator at the SRM.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
I would get a trued 700 type action with a McMillan stock simply to have a good platform.

For one of my rifles I ordered a brand new Remington 700 in .30-06. I sold the barrel and stock. I had it built by a nationally known 'smith who put it in an McMillan MBR Tooley stock. It never made a group smaller than 1 1/2" at 100 yards. He rebarreled it and it still didn't shoot. I took it to a local 'smith who put on a new Pac-Nor barrel. It still didn't shoot. I sent it to Pac-Nor who did the smithing and barreling this time and it still didn't shoot. I gave it to another 'smith and told him I didn't want anything to do with it.

There is a verse in the Bible that something like, "There is a time to give up" or something like that.

It wasn't the gun...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.