Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks man..... the RAR at the SRM was kinda fun.... but it was frustrating as well. I wouldn't put that set-up in the same class as a CTR or a RPR, it needs a little upgrading on a couple things to make it a viable rig under those conditions. A stock and a trigger would be a great start. It is, however, less than half the cost of the other two rifles I mentioned.

We're on the same page in regard to ammo being the ultimate expense, people never consider that when they budget out a long range rig. Seems Shane is on the same page too.... and of all the guys who've posted on this thread, I respect his opinion the most.

When guys ask me to help with a rig, or go out to shoot some steel.... and the emphasis is 300-600 yard shooting.... my first question is always: how many rounds you got? Second question is: what scope are you running? I don't give a schitt what the platform or caliber are.... because it's the smallest part of the equation. Obviously, some choices are better than others.... but quality (read repeatable) optics seems to be the lynchpin more often than anything else.

Bummer on the ankle man..... I've been there. A walking-boot for 4-months is a b1tch. Heal-up, then come play in Raton.... it's a pretty good time.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Shortactionsmoker can get you into a Tikka T3 with a varmint barrel in 308 for a good price (get the threaded model). You can use the "Beretta bucks" promotion to get four more five-round mags for free.

Wait a few weeks for SWFA's annual black Friday sale and score a SS 10X MQ (mil/mil) scope with rings and lens covers for around $300.

Buy a box of factory Hornady 168 AMAX Match in 308 and you're still under $1,000.

That's where I'd start.

Pretty sure the Tikka promo ended 10/31

It did, but the extended a portion of it exclusively for us. Instead of the $150 in Beretta Bucks, we can give you two free T3 mags or one free mag and a Tikka case.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Shortactionsmoker can get you into a Tikka T3 with a varmint barrel in 308 for a good price (get the threaded model). You can use the "Beretta bucks" promotion to get four more five-round mags for free.

Wait a few weeks for SWFA's annual black Friday sale and score a SS 10X MQ (mil/mil) scope with rings and lens covers for around $300.

Buy a box of factory Hornady 168 AMAX Match in 308 and you're still under $1,000.

That's where I'd start.

Pretty sure the Tikka promo ended 10/31

It did, but the extended a portion of it exclusively for us. Instead of the $150 in Beretta Bucks, we can give you two free T3 mags or one free mag and a Tikka case.

DO IT!!!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
if I were just starting to get into the LRH game. I'd WAY rather have a $1000 gun (CTR or RPR) and $1000 optic (LRHS, SS, SHV)..... and $3000 worth of rounds to shoot.... than five grand in gun and glass. You truly don't 'know' schitt till you sent a couple thousand rounds.... that's the most 'expensive' part of the game.... rounds, and the time to shoot them.

I see $5000 rigs all the time..... Eight outta Ten of their drivers couldn't hit the ground if they fell outta the truck. Why? Because they don't shoot/hunt them.... they're too pretty.... or too expensive.... or too heavy.... or there's vaginal scaring.... etc. I've seen a few of those rifles solidly whip my ass too.... but it's typically because said owner had invested in actually shooting it.

If you want a $5000 pseudo-cock to impress your ignorant friends..... then there are plenty of options from a GAP to a TRG to a full-custom with the girth and length all specified by you. If you wanna learn to shoot stuff at extended range.... then spent primers, not cool rifles, are the ultimate tutorial.... and that's where I'd sink at least half the budget.

I love it and agree whole heartedly....

The dude just has a way with words...grin...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With all that extra cheddar you'll save, and a crap load of practice, you'll have enough to go on a hunt with Josh......

Here's a breakdown of the materials on my .260

Remington action 450.00
Rock Creek barrel 315.00
Recoil lug 30.00
McMillan stock/surgeon bottom metal 700.00
Dies. 65.00
Lapua brass(200). 190.00
139 gr Scenar bullets 1k. 425.00
NF scope with rings. 1200.00
Base. 75.00
5 lbs H4350. 160.00

Total. 3610.00

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'm on the same page as Gonzaga. And since I'm no gunsmith, I had to spend extra $ for smith work. And the .260 shoots great, sub .5" with several bullets. I used a Manners stock and Lilja barrel though...I got exactly what I wanted, shoot the 'chit out of it and haven't regretted a penny.

Everybody has the right to a wrong opinion.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Used AI or TRG with a known history chambered in a an appropriate cartridge. OR, a used surgeon/defiance/bat/nesika built by GAP/SAC/Beanland/ETC. $3000.

Top it with a used NF NXS 8-32, $1500.

That leaves $500 for rings, Harris bipod, rear bag, mat, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd want a 54 Anschutz,75MOA Bob Rail,10x MQ and more than a bit of ammo...but that'd only burn up $2K. There's no better way to learn atmospherics and the mild manners up the FUN quotient,in non-lineal fashion.

For a Giggles Rifle I'd throw a 700 in a MDT LSS chassis,poke a 20" #3 no-turn 1-8" 6BR in it and feed it with modified AICS 10rd poly 223 mags,until AM unveils their steel 5rd 6BR dedicated mags. With rings/rail and 10x MQ it'd be under $2k.

$1000 will buy dies,200pcs Lapooey brass,16# powder and 2000 105 Hornie HPBT's.

I'd feel comfy.....................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd want a 54 Anschutz,75MOA Bob Rail,10x MQ and more than a bit of ammo...but that'd only burn up $2K. There's no better way to learn atmospherics and the mild manners up the FUN quotient,in non-lineal fashion.

For a Giggles Rifle I'd throw a 700 in a MDT LSS chassis,poke a 20" #3 no-turn 1-8" 6BR in it and feed it with modified AICS 10rd poly 223 mags,until AM unveils their steel 5rd 6BR dedicated mags. With rings/rail and 10x MQ it'd be under $2k.

$1000 will buy dies,200pcs Lapooey brass,16# powder and 2000 105 Hornie HPBT's.

I'd feel comfy.....................(grin)

Oh My.

Good thing you ain't got $5K. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
LOL. Remember Jhon one must be substantial enough in size to handle the recoil of the rifle and cartridge they choose. That post is a tell tale. LOL

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd buy about anything "you" liked and some non res tags and simply go huntin....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
SSG 3000, see if you can find the 22lr kit and a 6,5x55 barrel. Its also possible to purchase 308 and 6BR (1:8 twist )barrels

Over here, the SSG3000/Sauer 200 STR barrels cost $400 and you install them yourself in 5min. They usually shoot less then 1/3 moa.

Here is fun video of the different types of target rifles that has been used in competition here the last 60 years.
The target is at 200m and "human head size".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK8fSVuxVaU

This is just one of several types of competitions. With around 150.000 active users in Norway, and 4-500.000 in Scandinavia.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seinfeld,

Some day I'll have a 22LR and a 6BR...but $5K is nearly a WHOLE week's wages.

Laughing!

Bless your heart.............

fredrica,

"Luckily" for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "contribute" too.

Spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial,but congratulations on your efforts to equate talkin',to being the same as shootin'. Laughing!

Be sure and obliviously quantify your Turd Polishing Welfare Ways,you "hard charger" you. Bless your heart.

You'd need a co-signer for the scope caps.

[Linked Image]

At least you can read about it.

Laughing!.............

North',

I never was into swappin' barrels and long ago found it easier,to simply procure more rifles in chamberings of interest to me.

Having enough erector and windshield to stretch a 22LR to 700yds+,adds a coupla new dimensions to FUN.

Ask fredrica and Burns...they've read about it.

Laughing!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you had $5K to throw at a rifle including optics, and you dont reload and want to shoot paper and steel 1000 yards.

That could be an exercise in frustration. Seen many factory rigs(TRG 42's/NightForce combo's) and customs (5k+ in price) at the 1000 yard firing line embarrass their owners with 15"+ groups.
A lot of the issue is factory loads and/or hunting grade handloads along with practice (spent primers).

An option is a T3, accurate-repeatable turret adjustments in a scope with enough power. Spend the other $3.5K on a reload set up and components, then practice.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

Almost out of tags.

Stick Your going to need to let the crush go I'm married. I prefer my 5mm have been thinking about making it a Craig for grins and reload ability.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/18/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can't get the 54's anywhere near 1000, or sticks 700.. but shooting them at 300 does make for good practice. And lots of humble pie....[Linked Image]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Nice collection very nice

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Came back from elk hunting this season fired up to build a big .33; we found a bull hangout with great LR opportunities. Saw "several" big bulls in the morning (hunting spike tags). I roughed in the costs and came up with:

Donor action, stainless M700 RUM, $500
Pac-Nor SSM fluted, Sendero profile, 28" finish, $600
Timney Calvin Elite TG, $200 (really like this trigger, more than a Jewell)
Wyatt's extended box, $75
Stock, not sure which at this point, $600?
Scope, likely a NF, $2000-ish
Brake, $200
Reamer & gauges, $200

Total ~ $4400

I will true the action, mill it for the Wyatt's, install and chamber the barrel, and thread it for the brake myself as well as all other assembly so there's no gunsmith labor.

You guys keep rolling ammo into the price. I don't see ammo that way. It's an ongoing, baseline "life expense", like beer, or gas for the truck. smile

HOWEVER........ I just built a profoundly accurate 7wsm similar to the above and dang it, I think that'll kill an elk. So I'm wisely and maturely holding off..... except that I'm hitting the gunshops today when I head in to deposit checks.... just in case there's a lonely M700 RUM SPSS needing a new life............. wink

Let us know how it goes...wink.

Have Dog

Will Travel

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Came back from elk hunting this season fired up to build a big .33; we found a bull hangout with great LR opportunities. Saw "several" big bulls in the morning (hunting spike tags). I roughed in the costs and came up with:

Donor action, stainless M700 RUM, $500
Pac-Nor SSM fluted, Sendero profile, 28" finish, $600
Timney Calvin Elite TG, $200 (really like this trigger, more than a Jewell)
Wyatt's extended box, $75
Stock, not sure which at this point, $600?
Scope, likely a NF, $2000-ish
Brake, $200
Reamer & gauges, $200

Total ~ $4400

I will true the action, mill it for the Wyatt's, install and chamber the barrel, and thread it for the brake myself as well as all other assembly so there's no gunsmith labor.

You guys keep rolling ammo into the price. I don't see ammo that way. It's an ongoing, baseline "life expense", like beer, or gas for the truck. smile

HOWEVER........ I just built a profoundly accurate 7wsm similar to the above and dang it, I think that'll kill an elk. So I'm wisely and maturely holding off..... except that I'm hitting the gunshops today when I head in to deposit checks.... just in case there's a lonely M700 RUM SPSS needing a new life............. wink

Let us know how it goes...wink.

Agreed. Not exactly an entry level proposition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WTF?
It's gone.
Guess he wasn't serious, after all.......
SURPRISE!

Oregon

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
809 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.