Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Friend of mine has a "B" prefix 700 in 270, and it went off unexpectedly the other day while he was hunting as he pushed the safety from Safe to Fire. It has the old trigger design (which I own quite a few of and have never had any trouble out of) and he had read about the issues some have had with them.

I have a Timney trigger here that was installed by me in a varmint rifle, used briefly and removed when the purchaser of the rifle didn't want it. I thought the only way my friend would ever have confidence in the rifle again was to completely replace the trigger group, so I installed the Timney into his rifle last night.

After installing the new trigger, I bounce tested it and was able to make the rifle "fire" when the safety was taken off. Also, I was able to make it "fire" a couple of times at bolt closure. I disassembled the firing pin group and cleaned everything, nothing appears damaged or looks out of place.

What is the proper way to handle getting his rifle repaired? A reputable gunsmith or send it back to Remington? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
What weight is the timney set for?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
sounds like the timney may just need the sear engagement adjusted a bit, it's the screw on the back of the trigger, also the pull weight may be too light

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Agree with attempt to adjust trigger. You don't have enough sear engagement.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dude270
sounds like the timney may just need the sear engagement adjusted a bit, it's the screw on the back of the trigger, also the pull weight may be too light

Yep. Bet that trigger is pretty light right now.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CFVA
Friend of mine has a "B" prefix 700 in 270, and it went off unexpectedly the other day while he was hunting as he pushed the safety from Safe to Fire. It has the old trigger design (which I own quite a few of and have never had any trouble out of) and he had read about the issues some have had with them.

grin

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
absolutely sear . I have a rather old model 110 was doing same thing

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I have a Timney trigger here that was installed by me in a varmint rifle, used briefly and removed when the purchaser of the rifle didn't want it. I thought the only way my friend would ever have confidence in the rifle again was to completely replace the trigger group, so I installed the Timney into his rifle last night.

After installing the new trigger, I bounce tested it and was able to make the rifle "fire" when the safety was taken off. Also, I was able to make it "fire" a couple of times at bolt closure. I disassembled the firing pin group and cleaned everything, nothing appears damaged or looks out of place.

What is the proper way to handle getting his rifle repaired? A reputable gunsmith or send it back to Remington? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Turn the sear adjustment screw 1/4 turn at a time counterclockwise until it passes the "slam bolt and bounce test".

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check the sear adjustment this evening.

Anyone care to speculate why the Timney did fine in the varmint rifle and exhibits the same signs as the factory trigger did in the suspect rifle? Kind of makes me wonder if it is something outside the trigger group.

Thanks again.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The trigger interface is slightly different in each rifle. It's not uncommon to need adjusting when swapping.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Also clean the entire trigger assembly with carb cleaner or something like it and don't lube it. Rick.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check the sear adjustment this evening.

Anyone care to speculate why the Timney did fine in the varmint rifle and exhibits the same signs as the factory trigger did in the suspect rifle? Kind of makes me wonder if it is something outside the trigger group.

Thanks again.

CFVA I suppose no portion of the trigger housing or trigger are bearing on any portion of the stock when screws are tightened,right?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks to everyone.

Bob - I did have to relieve a bit of wood to allow for the trigger adjustment screw on the Timney, but otherwise I haven't found any interference.

Thanks again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OK just wondering.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Horseman
The trigger interface is slightly different in each rifle. It's not uncommon to need adjusting when swapping.
Originally Posted by ricksmith
Also clean the entire trigger assembly with carb cleaner or something like it and don't lube it. Rick.

This

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A Remington with a trigger issue??? Oh, SAY it ain't SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

(sorry, couldn't resist)... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Knew that was coming, just didn't know from who!

I adjusted the sear engagement last night, and it would still fail occasionally on bolt closure. I noticed the trigger shoe wasn't resetting itself if the muzzle was pointed upward, so I adjusted the trigger weight screw until it had a positive spring reset pressure. After doing that, all is good in the world. Just for reference, the Timney was 3 lbs out of the box, and is set at 5.5 lbs now. Still crisp and doesn't feel all that heavy, but it's safe.

Thanks again to everyone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also clean the entire trigger assembly with carb cleaner or something like it and don't lube it.

The Timney web page says to lube with lighter fluid. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
.... I noticed the trigger shoe wasn't resetting itself if the muzzle was pointed upward....

If you really have a trigger shoe installed on your Timney, that is probably most of your problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be very careful performing the bolt-slam test to avoid breaking off the handle.

Come on, you know you were thinking it!

CFVA: Good on you for helping out a pal.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.