Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore
To skin or not to skin is very dependent on the temperature to some extent. An elk shot and left to lay overnight in deep snow can sour just as bad as one shot in early archery season. It also makes big difference whether you are winching it into the back of a pickup and take it to the barn right away or if you are5-8 miles from the nearest roads.

Personally, I have no interest in eating an elk that the hide was left on with all the rut semen between the pecker and front legs and all the mud from the wallows with crap and urine it.

Guess I'm just not tough enough.

How many guys or gals would buy beef that they know was killed and then hung or not with hide on. Myself, once that elk hits the ground it is treated the same as I would any beef I butcher.

The waste is trivial if it dries a little. The meat is better if you skin all the silver tissue of anyway. That may entail maybe an 1/8" if one uses a good filleting knife. Anybody that takes more sure as heck don't know much about butchering. Probably most waste more meat from the bullet than that.

If you know what T-Bone steak is the tenderloin is the piece of meat that makes up the small portion of the T-bone. The bigger portion being above the spine. It is also known as Filet Mignon.

These late season hunts where guys kill elk in January can yield some pretty poor meat if the early part of winter was hard on them and they have started to use up their fat reserves.

Have never killed an elk, but I am with saddlesore when it comes to hanging and processing white tails. Try to shoot them first thing in the morning. Dressed, skinned, quartered, hosed off and hung in the barn by 10:00am. Let 'em hang up to 4 or 5 days if the weather cooperates (not guaranteed around here). Take a fillet knife and shave off all of the dried silver skin when processing. I also trim hard when processing. No fat, no glands, no bloodshot meat.

Yes, this reduces total yield. However, I have never had anyone complain about any dishes I have prepared with my venison. Have actually had compliments from several folks who had previous bad experiences with off flavor venison.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve1961
I just had some of the bull I killed 10/27/15, and that sucker is awesome! Tender and excellent flavor! The bull I killed last year was at least as good! Both were way mature 6x7 bulls. Cool them out as quickly as possible. Both last years and this years bulls I was only able to gut them and prop them open for the night, as I didn't have any game bags with me. Both bulls were good and cool the next morning. I then skinned and game bagged the quarters, packed them out with my horses and had them to the guy that cuts up our game. So this year's bull was shot on Tues. evening and to the cutter on Fri. We picked the packaged meat up on Mon.
I've found that the most tender meat is an animal that's cooled completely before boning. It's not the most convenient sometimes, true. I've left several in the field overnight after skinning and gutting and they've been great.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My outfitter this year said he only eats cows or very young bulls.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a slaughter house in Colorado Springs that not only washes the carcass down, but they have some means of attaching a water line to major arteries and veins to pump iced water thru the carcass, chilling them down even faster. They process beef and bison

How long do they hang the carcass for afterwards?

Looking at what a hunter might do at home, just hosing a contaminated carcass down (say badly gut shot) may remove the visible contamination, but it spreads the bacterial contamination. If the hose is a high pressure one, it will blast that bacteria under membranes and will spread it to otherwise clean areas.

Even on a clean carcass, a high pressure hose will blast water into the membranes ect, and potentially leave the carcass susceptable to the growth of mould...

Now if the carcass is going to be butchered in a day or so, its no big deal, but if you have a chiller and wish to hang it for a week or more, mould then becomes a factor that needs to be considered.

There are ways and means to lessen this to a degree..If the carcass is washed out while it is still warm with a low pressure hose using tepid water, it will dry much better and the conditions that promote the growth of mold are negated somewhat.

Last edited by Pete E; 11/16/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How many guys or gals would buy beef that they know was killed and then hung or not with hide on.

Back when I was young, I helped my cousin for a while in a custom operation, locker plant and killing beef and hogs. Most beef we would go to the home of the beef and shoot, skin the head and lower legs out, and gut. We would then load in the truck and take back to the Plant. He always hung the beef for at least a few days with the hide on. Length of time varied, according to what else was going on. His thoughts were that although harder to skin, it made a better looking carcass, for his customers to look at. He had worked in animal killing operations all his life, starting at age 15. He was in his mid to late 50's when I worked for him. Our goal was to cut and kill 4 beef a day, and Saturday was hog killing day. Hogs were processed 1 or 2 a day as time allowed with the beef cutting and killing. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a slaughter house in Colorado Springs that not only washes the carcass down, but they have some means of attaching a water line to major arteries and veins to pump iced water thru the carcass, chilling them down even faster
What is the name of this Slaughter house? Reason that I ask, is the Son of the man that taught me to butcher, worked and later was part owner of a Slaughter house in Colorado Springs. I think the name was G&C Packing, but am not sure. He is older than me and I am sure He no longer works there, but might still be part owner. miles

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There is a slaughter house in Colorado Springs that not only washes the carcass down, but they have some means of attaching a water line to major arteries and veins to pump iced water thru the carcass, chilling them down even faster. They process beef and bison
I haven't hear of that for cooling but it's done all the time with hams to get the brine through the meat and still keep it juicy. Look for the fine print on the label that says 'water added'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep,it's G&C packing

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yep,it's G&C packing
When I see Melvin, I will ask about that cooling method. I only seem him about twice a year. I do see His brother often and he might have some insight, The whole family has a history of being butchers. miles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My worst eating one was hot to trot, rutting, bugling like crazy before the shot. I'm pretty sure that every cow, and every other bull, I've taken was better tasting. Took good care of the meat - cooled quickly and aged and all but rutting bulls are just pungent. I have been grateful for it nevertheless. Lot of meat too.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,728
Posts18,457,378
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.