-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The bulk of my rimfires are lever action, though I have a bolt or two, a pump action, and the required 10/22. 'Tactical' .22 LR rifles usually do nothing for me, though I get it from a training perspective.

When I first saw the MSR 22 I thought it was a neat enough design but it didn't really float my boat. The more I read about it I could see the value of the 6-position charging handle (3 on the left and 3 on the right). I also began to think that the adjustable stock and pop-up cheek piece could be handy for my daughters when using the open sights.

When CDNN offered them for $350 I was pretty tempted, but used a rarely-exercised control and passed. When they dropped the price to $299 I caved like a frat boy at a party and convinced myself I had to give it a try. I also ordered a 22 round magazine ($40 crazy) and paid the $24 in freight. All in with FFL transfer and extra mag was less than $400.

CDNN Page

It comes in a decent plastic case that I'll probably continue to use unless I mount an optic on it. Weight on my scale with open sights installed and an empty 10-round magazine was 7 lbs 2 oz. Fit and finish is above average with everything seeming well made, tight, and well thought-out. The pop-up sights are probably heavier and stiffer than needed, but they function fine. One small point, I thought the front sight post was way too low so I raised it up a good deal before going to the range. I should have left it alone because I ended up putting it back close to where it started (sight adjustment tool is included). The rear sight is adjustable for windage and works well. It also has 2 apertures; one for close range shooting and one for long range.

Honestly, I'm no gun writer so you may want to go here for better pics and a more complete review: Shooting Times Review

I shot CCI Mini Mags and Federal Auto Match, and only had time to run about 200 rounds through it. Some for sighting-in, some just plinking, and I shot one target (pictured below) to get an idea what it would do. I had no failures or issues of any kind (other than the front site adjustment which was my own fault).

I only used the open sights. Most pics of this gun show the rear sight installed all the way rearward on the rail, but I could not focus with it that close to my face. I mounted the front sight all the way forward. I found that I liked the charging handle in the forward-most position on the left side. The magazines latch in easily and drop free when you press either release. The safety lever moved easily and smoothly. The trigger is decent with a lot of take up and OK break. I haven't tried to adjust it. I was most comfortable shooting it with the stock extended all the way out and the cheek piece down. I didn't bother to shoot it with the stock folded.

I'm pleased with the way it shoots. Because of the hard plastic you can hear/feel it cycle, so keep that in mind if you're bothered by that. The front sight post is fairly wide so it obscures much of the target at the 105 ft. used to shoot the target below. I only used the long range aperture of the rear sight when shooting the target. I rested the magazine on the bench but didn't use any bags. The holes with an 'x' next to them were from final sighting-in; the other 22 rounds were shot in relatively quick succession, allowing only enough time to acquire the red portion of the target. Obviously with this front sight you're not going to shoot for real accuracy.

I bought this for a fun plinker, possible rabbit/squirrel/p-dog gun, and something for the kids to shoot; I'm well pleased with it for that purpose. Obviously I don't have a lot of experience with it, so time will tell a better story. Thought this might be beneficial to anyone eye-balling these like I was before pulling the trigger.

*Sorry for the crummy cell phone pics, they're worth what I'm getting paid to write this. grin)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SockPuppet; 09/10/15.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the nice write up.. Seems a pretty fair package for $300

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No problem, Certifiable. I'm anxious to get the kids out shooting it to see what they think. It's probably a bit on the heavy side for what it is but it shoots pretty well.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
They are on sale here at $549.00 Canadian vs $899.00 regular price.

Thats $412.00 US vs regular price of $675.00 US

Dealer should have it in this week as they arrived in Toronto from Germany last week.

Flyer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

76 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,025 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.