Print Thread
Hop To
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Nothing big at all but still took the same amount of work. Can't complain too much. These will grow up one day and are the future of the sport

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans!

I wish it were shorts weather here!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool photo's

Muskies and Pike are about the closest fish you can get in freshwater to a salt water fish's vicious teeth and attitude!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure looks like fun and a great way to pass the time never knowing when the big one will strike. Thanks for the pictures. Tom

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
It just changed ingwe lol. 30s at night 50s in the day. It has been unseasonably warm. The rivers just now turned over and the water is black. That should have happned last month. I think that has a little to do with not seeing any of the bigger fish this weekend

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats again.... From everything I've read and heard Muskies are one of the hardest fish to catch, even for experienced fishermen in areas that have plenty of Muskies. Based on your photos you get more than your share. How often do you go and %wise how often would you guess you get skunked?

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
43 shooter---- even where muskie numbers are great, there still aren't near as many of them as there are other fish...being a top of the line apex predator in the waters that contain them, there will always be less of them than other fish.

Hard to catch? Nah not really. When you find one and can actually get his attention or get a lure in front of a hungry fish, you cannot keep him off of it.

I work night shift so I usually get to fish 2-3 days a week, when the fish are on I will grind it out and fish more but generally 2x a week. Sometimes 3.

Some days we catch 2-3 fish, some days 1, very rarely do we go and not get at least one good shot at a fish.

Mainly. Fish where you know Muskies are, fish big fish tackle ( baits that are appealing to Muskies), keep casting, pay attention to weather and water temp and adjust your fishing to what you think the Muskies are doing. If it's 40* water temps then logic says a fast moving bucktail probably isn't the wisest choice. Lot of it comes down to thinking like a fish lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey Ky, I went to that place I heard there were muskies. It's confirmed they are present. I had one on and it got off and had another strike. I wasn't fishing for them, I was bass fishing as a friend has my large casting reel and hasn't been able to find it, so I'm not set up for them yet. But it's a good sign and I am anxious to get after them. I have only fished this place a few times and am getting to know it. I found a couple of oxbow type pockets that are good looking places with grass and lots of wood cover.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Get on them!!!!

Was it good fish that you had a strike from?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The one I lost was around 30"-36" probably and the other was maybe a touch bigger. Hard to tell it came to the surface and thrashed then swam away the other just flashed on my bait and bumped it and pulled for a split second then pulled off. But I was using a bass spinnerbait (without a trailer hook duh) although the one with a long skirt and huge blades, i was trying to make the profile big as possable since those toofy cridder be inair. I'm guessing bigger bait bigger fish.

Going today to order a shimano sojourn composite musky rod to use braid on. Composite rods are tough and good with superlines, plus side is they aren't as expensive. If Tony doesn't find my 5600C I will find a ebay reel I guess. I can't afford a new revo toro...

I'll keep you posted on my failer/success. Dang youngun, your pics are costing me a fortune... lol... Maybe one day next year when it warms up you can come down and chase'em.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Best rods I've found for the $$ are made by Okuma. It's their evx musky models. Pretty light for the price, good warranty, and super strong

Okuma evx Rod Rod woukd run you about 110$. I would get an 8' heavy. It would make for a good all around Rod

You could pick up a Garcia 5500 c3 new for 100$ also. That would work for everything but the heavy stuff.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I use a few Okuma ultralights for my fishing. I like them too!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll check them out. Is the 8' length so you can figure 8 better or something and does that actually work ofter?

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Does the figure 8 work? Absolutely. I've caught 19 fish I think this year, 15 of them were taken on the 8.

Longer rods are better for 8s, longer casts, and better hook sets.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We tried figure 8s on pike...no noticeable difference.
What seems to really get to them is yanking the lure away from them as fast as you can....throw it back to the same spot and I promise you aren't fast enough to get it away from them a second time.... grin

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
3/4 of Muskies caught will be on the 8 ....if you do it right. You have to read the fish. You will always raise more Muskies than you ever catch just for the simple reason they follow so much. Just the nature of then beast. But you can almost always get a hot fish to eat boatside and sometimes trigger a neutral fish into eating. It really is a good technique to learn and get down pat.

Remember that a big fish cannot turn on a dime, big wide ovals or 8s will keep him
Interested. Can't make him work too hard. Again this is where long rods really come in handy

Last edited by Ky221; 11/23/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's awesome and bizarre that the figure 8 works that often.

Poobs, that's cool how you can figure out a way to make them strike, does it work often? Yesterday was a huge cold front and I knew it would do one of two things, shut them off or turn them on. It turned them on big time but there was a twist. I had to crank a square bill bandit crankbait slow and as soon as it hit the rocky bottom I would crank 1 revolution super fast then kill it. I couldn't even start the retrieve again and they would blast it. They would not strike a strait retrieve. It doesn't always work but it did yeasterday. I love it when you can provoke them to bite.

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
2 ways to fish a cold front... Big and slow or you can down size and bump cover.

My favorite is big and slow. This usually involves large gliders fished very slow.

Downsizing would involve 5-6" cranks, gliders, bumped into wood, rocks, thick weeds etc

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,795
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.