Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The trick of hunting thick timber in bedding areas is to move slow enough and smart enough that you don't "kick" them out of thier beds. In the last ten years,I have probably shot three elk in thier beds. A few years ago,I sent another buddy into the area as he wasn't very mobile.He killed a cow there on Wednesday and I went back on Friday and killed another cow.

Bulls after rut will typically find a hidey hole to recover.It will have water and grass close by and they won't move around much.Hunt it right and you won't spook that bull out of there. Huntit wrong and some hunter 10 miles awyay will get a shot at it

^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't believe that hogwash about SaddleSore only killing dumb elk. He's probably forgotten more about elk hunting than 90% of the guys on here. I can tell by his dress and how he sits a mule he is a serious hunter. He knows his elk and the areas he hunts. If there was just one guy I could go hunting w/on the fire...it would be him. powdr

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by powdr
Don't believe that hogwash about SaddleSore only killing dumb elk. He's probably forgotten more about elk hunting than 90% of the guys on here. I can tell by his dress and how he sits a mule he is a serious hunter. He knows his elk and the areas he hunts. If there was just one guy I could go hunting w/on the fire...it would be him. powdr

Thanks for the kind words.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
notamos Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thanks all, I really appreciate the encouragement and the tips. I posted this & then disappeared for a few days, long story... ;-)

When I first started elk hunting, I was hell bent on killing a bull. Then, after striking out and seeing some cows - I thought about how many does I killed back east & they tasted great. SO, that's why I only applied for cow licenses the past few years. Really, I couldn't care less if it has antlers or not. I just want meat.

I have some deer tags (does) that I'll most likely fill in the next month. So we will have that meat in the freezer.

I was hoping to come up with a "second chance" for this year, late season cow or something. But it appears my chances are limited at best. Are there *really* any elk migrating over into 128 (east of 25)? If so, my guess is getting somebody to let you on their land would be difficult at best.

I guess the one thing I've really done wrong is wasting my time walking miles/day. I need to let my binocs do some of the leg work for me, huh?

ETA: I grew up in south-central PA, right near the intersection of interstate 81 and 76 (turnpike). Carlisle, PA.

Last edited by notamos; 11/13/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of my partners, age 70, is an expert on glassing for elk. He can find them 3 ridges over where no elk has been for 10 years. I don't know how he does it. However, he always finds them at long distance, seldom close enough for our geriatric hunting crew to go get them. We saw close to 150 elk this season and a good number of them were the ones he spotted at howitzer range.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
notamos

I know just how you feel. Been skunked most of my times out too.
Part of my problem now is age and physical condition. Hunting the migration in unit 12 used to be a real rodeo with an orange army. The last 2 years I went didn't see anyone else in Isle's Grove (4th season), also didn't see any elk. The migration has been very late the last 4-5 years. It is possible to see a few elk wandering down well before the major migration but you have to be in the right place at the right time.

I bought this hunting info pack with maps for elk and deer which looks very good but have not had a chance to really check out the data for my self. It gives maps of all GMUs with areas where game spend most of their time in summer and hunting seasons with migration routes. Doesn't give honey holes or any such info but may give you a better idea where elk are more likely to be in a particular GMU. It costs close to $90 (also includes deer, antelope, turkey, goose and pheasant) but may save you years of wandering (and wondering) about looking for elk.

HUNTDATA.com

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This was my first year going after elk in CO, went during archery. Only saw some on private land below the mountains, then one lone spike which came into 12 yards (4+ point area) in a wilderness area. Hoping I can get after them with the bow post deployment - if I get back in time - otherwise going to have to figure out a rifle tag to use and start all over.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by notamos

---

So, I'm sitting here feeling defeated and am wondering what I can do for next year. We're not lazy - we hunt (ie go for a freaking walk!) hard. We get up early, hike - we don't road hunt. We did 5+ miles last Mon w/o even cutting a track. We went up above tree line, well into deep snow - never saw tracks. We went low, nothing.

-NA

5 miles is an easy day. I just finished elk hunting 5 days last week in Idaho. I averaged 8 miles a day with a peak of 12 miles one day (with kids in tow). You need to cover more ground. Either the elk are there or they are not. Don't sit and watch unproductive ground.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
One of my partners, age 70, is an expert on glassing for elk. He can find them 3 ridges over where no elk has been for 10 years. I don't know how he does it. However, he always finds them at long distance, seldom close enough for our geriatric hunting crew to go get them. We saw close to 150 elk this season and a good number of them were the ones he spotted at howitzer range.

Saw 4 cows, then 2 cows at howitzer range yesterday, right at sunset, so couldn't get out there. maybe next weekend. There's no or very little snow. Not much moving down.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All I can say is I"ve had a hard time with cows... hunt only the MZ season a few times because I don't care for hords of folks...

Had cow tags and could have shot legal bulls in CO every trip. Never a cow.

The other thing, I learned a long time ago from a resident is throw out deer hunting... you cannot hunt good areas alone.

YOu move as much as needed as fast as needed, assuming you know how to read and age sign, and you never stop to hunt until you find them. Best I can tell they may not be within miles of any given spot, but when you do find em you go from race gear to full on creep mode till you kill or spook em.

I"ve been very lucky in trailing them in mornings after you cut sign, but now and then I"ve been fooled by thermals and bumped them.

SO if I were ever to hunt elk again, it would be set up to be as mobile as possible, cover an area as quick and hard as I could, from different sides/angles, and then move on if no sign.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Shall we start a support forum? Ya know, for those who don't know what the heck they are doing?"

Where do I sign up?

This is my first year hunting CO, after hunting southwest WA for 14 years (pretty much split between archery and firearm) without tagging an elk. I was only able to get out for three days (limited vacation time due to starting a new job) but it's clear I have much to learn. I had a tag for 3rd season in GMU 19, and the weather was much warmer than I anticipated. Reading the comments in the thread above, I think I do need to cover more ground quickly to find the elk, and not spend any more time than necessary where there aren't any elk.

Already looking forward to getting out more over the summer for more scouting, and then next season to continue the educational process.

Washougal Chris (but now in Firestone, CO)

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I would listen to what Coyote Hunter has to say.. You will NOT be able to travel country"quick and hard" all your hunting career!! We get old, unfortunate, but true.. The best elk hunters or hunters I know, say let your glass do the walking for you..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You will always be able to travel hard and fast. Its just that travel will not always be on foot, or on 4 hooves etc... there are many ways to cover ground. Good advantage spot at teh right time with a spotting scope can tell you a LOT... and whether to invest more time or move to another advantage spot for the evening...

I have followed bumped elk over 12 miles easily until they holed up again. According to a topo map and my GPS. I"m sure others have traield them further.

Don't be scared to keep going till you find em or season is over.

The only other way is a known hidey hole that produces in relationship to pressure every season... those are hard to find. I"m sure Carolyn and I found one in Eagles Nest once... it just would have had to be rifle season for it to pay off, but it had everthying needed to remain in one hole including water, and never be seen unless stumbled onto...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I once tracked a raghorn into a thicket of hemlocks about 40 yards around. I spent the next two hours gently working my way downwind and sweetly cow calling, pulling grass, generally making wonderful girl elk noise to the boy. As I made the circle around the thicket his tracks never emerged, nor did he make a sound to reveal his presence. Of course, if I had been an actual cow elk, I would have smelled him having circled downwind, and I'm sure he knew that.

So upon my closing the circle, I decided he had somehow slipped past me. I undid my pack and was shuffling around for toilet paper when he exploded about 12 yards away. He had been there the whole time.

Right then I discovered that post rut bulls do not want to be disturbed and I had almost zero chance of ever seeing one if they chose to remain concealed. That has proven itself true on every post rut rifle hunt I've ever been on in Oregon wilderness. Tough, tough game.

Don't feel bad, elk can be very difficult to locate, especially in thick habitat like we have in Oregon. At the end of each season I am the guy that knows all the places the bulls are not.

Which is nice. smile

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I once tracked a raghorn into a thicket of hemlocks about 40 yards around. I spent the next two hours gently working my way downwind and sweetly cow calling, pulling grass, generally making wonderful girl elk noise to the boy. As I made the circle around the thicket his tracks never emerged, nor did he make a sound to reveal his presence. Of course, if I had been an actual cow elk, I would have smelled him having circled downwind, and I'm sure he knew that.

So upon my closing the circle, I decided he had somehow slipped past me. I undid my pack and was shuffling around for toilet paper when he exploded about 12 yards away. He had been there the whole time.

Right then I discovered that post rut bulls do not want to be disturbed and I had almost zero chance of ever seeing one if they chose to remain concealed. That has proven itself true on every post rut rifle hunt I've ever been on in Oregon wilderness. Tough, tough game.

Don't feel bad, elk can be very difficult to locate, especially in thick habitat like we have in Oregon. At the end of each season I am the guy that knows all the places the bulls are not.

Which is nice. smile

Add me to the list.. At least for this year. Next year is going to be different... I hope laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It took me 7 years of elk hunting before I shot my first elk. Now, I shoot one about every other year, I even shot one with a bow at 20 yards last year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No elk hunt for me this year, I'd be happy to just get out there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Don't feel too discouraged. 85% of hunters in CO don't punch their tags. 10% of the hunters shoot 90% of the elk and they do it every year.

First I would advise, start hunting cows. Get a few under your belt to build confidence and figure out what is going on.

3rd rifle you can really get screwed by the weather. Switch to 2nd. The 1st is too short, but there are more elk and they won't be pushed back into their hidey holes, but if you get any bad weather, that 5 day hunt can turn into two.

Hunt every day, you can kill an elk on the last day of the season just as easily as the first day.

As soon as there is a rifle shot , the elk move into thick timber or onto private land and it's hard to get them out of there.

I can't help much of "Where to go" as all my elk hunting is in areas that you need horses or mules to access.

Where abouts in PA you from. I left SW PA in 64,never looked back.I have missed darn few elk season since then.

Pay attention to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
JMG Offline
A lot of good advice. The one consistent theme that seems to be echoed is the idea of "paying it forward". Meaning . . . don't hesitate to help another newb or offer the wisdom you have gained in your experiences.

JMG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
It took me 7 years of elk hunting before I shot my first elk. Now, I shoot one about every other year, I even shot one with a bow at 20 yards last year.

Bowhunting is another ball game altogether. Never had trouble connecting during archery season.

LOL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.