Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickyD
Fireball, you started this.

Never had anything but nice things to say about Mr Howell. And each and every one of you knows Steelhead is the instigator of so much nastiness on here, including against Ken Howell. I for one am fed up with the BS so I have taken the offensive against azzholes like Steelhead. If you can't see that for what it is then I guess that's the way it is.

LOL
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If he were closer I would go see him.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
He's a human being with a brilliant mind but like everybody else, subject to all of the fine points and foibles, graciousness and pettiness, vanity and dignity, strengths and weaknesses of all of us.

He has accomplished a lot in life and probably has forgotten more about hand loading and ballistics than many of us will ever know, but he also takes great pride in pointing out to the rest of us (always obliquely, never directly) how brightly his halo is polished and how it glows at maximum wattage, even as he behaves like any other human being. I think that is what attracts a lot of his detractors, using and even subtly encouraging others to curse his enemies in his name while he stands by innocent of all wrong doing. He is also the best judo arguer I've ever seen - you push, he pulls, you pull, he pushes. If you attack him, he becomes overly gracious and offers overtures of peace. If you're gracious, he subtly attacks you.

As a truly world class wordsmith he can cuss out and berate someone as viciously as any troll, but his actual words allow him to maintain a plausible deniability. His anger and denigration shine though exactly as he meant them to but he can point at the exact words he used and with hands folded innocently and eyes cast heavenward deny that was his intent. He plays to his own self image of being a saint as well as anyone ever has. I really wish I could write as skillfully as he can. He has a great vocabulary, that's for sure, I learned some good new words from reading his posts.

He has a huge ego but will deny it and takes great umbrage if accused of it, but without that ego he probably would not have achieved his advanced degrees or lassoed grizzly bears or done any of a hundred things he has accomplished that most of us never will.

It doesn't help to romanticize anyone nor unduly attack them while ignoring their good points. I hope I am not guilty of the latter here. Like most, I hope he is doing well.

There's a hellova lot of truth in your post.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
He's a human being with a brilliant mind but like everybody else, subject to all of the fine points and foibles, graciousness and pettiness, vanity and dignity, strengths and weaknesses of all of us.

He has accomplished a lot in life and probably has forgotten more about hand loading and ballistics than many of us will ever know, but he also takes great pride in pointing out to the rest of us (always obliquely, never directly) how brightly his halo is polished and how it glows at maximum wattage, even as he behaves like any other human being. I think that is what attracts a lot of his detractors, using and even subtly encouraging others to curse his enemies in his name while he stands by innocent of all wrong doing. He is also the best judo arguer I've ever seen - you push, he pulls, you pull, he pushes. If you attack him, he becomes overly gracious and offers overtures of peace. If you're gracious, he subtly attacks you.

As a truly world class wordsmith he can cuss out and berate someone as viciously as any troll, but his actual words allow him to maintain a plausible deniability. His anger and denigration shine though exactly as he meant them to but he can point at the exact words he used and with hands folded innocently and eyes cast heavenward deny that was his intent. He plays to his own self image of being a saint as well as anyone ever has. I really wish I could write as skillfully as he can. He has a great vocabulary, that's for sure, I learned some good new words from reading his posts.

He has a huge ego but will deny it and takes great umbrage if accused of it, but without that ego he probably would not have achieved his advanced degrees or lassoed grizzly bears or done any of a hundred things that most of us never will.

It doesn't help to romanticize anyone nor unduly attack them while ignoring their good points. I hope I am not guilty of the latter here. Like most, I hope he is doing well.

Sportscenter Version = Pretentious Prick.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I continue to hold Ken in high esteem, and I hope he is doing well. He is an easy guy to like in person, for those who have not had the opportunity to meet him.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

He has accomplished a lot in life and probably has forgotten more about hand loading and ballistics than many of us will ever know, but he also takes great pride in pointing out to the rest of us (always obliquely, never directly) how brightly his halo is polished and how it glows at maximum wattage, even as he behaves like any other human being. I think that is what attracts a lot of his detractors, using and even subtly encouraging others to curse his enemies in his name while he stands by innocent of all wrong doing. He is also the best judo arguer I've ever seen - you push, he pulls, you pull, he pushes. If he is attacked he becomes overly gracious and offers overtures of peace to make his attacker look like the evil party. If you're gracious, he subtly attacks you.

He has a huge ego but will deny it and takes great umbrage if accused of it, but without that ego he probably would not have achieved his advanced degrees or lassoed grizzly bears or done any of a hundred things that most of us never will.

Jim, thanks for posting this. It illustrates the human condition of us all, whether we admit it or not.
Life is not as black and white as some folks want to portray it. Glass full or glass empty, starts out with a person's attitude about self, then others.
I enjoyed Mr Howell and his posts for the time he was on the campfire.

Last edited by Wyogal; 11/10/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, I would definitely take away the "prick" and just leave pretentious, and not even that most of the time.

He really has packed three lifetimes of doing things into one. Most folks here who had done what he has would be bragging of those accomplishments at every turn. I don't believe he is mean spirited in the least and if given a chance is truly as gracious as others have said. I've spoken to him on the phone three times and didn't sense any condescension or pretentiousness in the least although he did like to dominate the conversations. He has all of this knowledge in him and wants to impart it so it is wise to just shut up and listen to him. My only recommendation for self-observation is that he seems to truly believe that he is not subject to the ills of ordinary human egos even while displaying that he most definitely is to those who are carefully watching.

A brilliant man, a man wanting to help those around him, but in the end a man just like all of the rest of us.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Well said Jim. Thanks for sharing your poignant thoughts.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RickBin
I continue to hold Ken in high esteem, and I hope he is doing well. He is an easy guy to like in person, for those who have not had the opportunity to meet him.

He is indeed easy to like in person...We have discussed a few cartridges too. I made a reamer for a little pipsqueak of a 6mm cartridge that we were in cahoots on , never did chamber a rifle for it although I did form some brass...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

As a truly world class wordsmith he can cuss out and berate someone as viciously as any troll, but his actual words allow him to maintain a plausible deniability. His anger and denigration shine though exactly as he meant them to but he can point at the exact words he used and with hands folded innocently and eyes cast heavenward deny that was his intent. He plays to his own self image of being a saint as well as anyone ever has. I really wish I could write as skillfully as he can.

In this paragraph, I believe you have.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My lifetime pinnacle of achievement!

Sh*t, that means it's all downhill from here....

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I appreciated his info and anecdotal stories. Please pass along my best wishes as I think about him often.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by carbon12

As a truly world class wordsmith he can cuss out and berate someone as viciously as any troll, but his actual words allow him to maintain a plausible deniability. His anger and denigration shine though exactly as he meant them to but he can point at the exact words he used and with hands folded innocently and eyes cast heavenward deny that was his intent. He plays to his own self image of being a saint as well as anyone ever has. I really wish I could write as skillfully as he can.

In this paragraph, I believe you have.

+1 as they say.

Funny, I just got back to reading this thread and thought the same thing.

Geno

PS, congrats Jim, on becoming a "famous" writer wink

PPS, also Jim, don't forget , the best thing about the pinnacle deal and downhill the rest of the way....

Now you get to coast!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm glad he's doing well. I miss him here. Always enjoyed his magazine articles. He has a lot to offer for those who are humble enough to listen. Too many people on here, don't know what they don't know.

And are often only too happy to use that as a pedestal from which to put others down. crazy

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad to call Ken a personal friend.

But..... I don't expect perfection from my friends.

Once "Veneration of Elders" is no longer an important part of a culture, that culture is in a death spiral.It can only get worse, never better.

Because of Ken, we have witnessed that downward spiral in the "Campfire Culture". For instance,if you dislike me because of things I post on this forum, you have harmed neither yourself, me, or the forum. But, if you resent me because I'm 74 YO and refuse to die, you have harmed both yourself AND the forum.But you've done me no harm.

It's even more prevalent in the general population of this country, and THAT does not bode well for our future.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Once "Veneration of Elders" is no longer an important part of a culture, that culture is in a death spiral.It can only get worse, never better.

Elders that have wisdom to pass along are to be venerated. Elders that don't have wisdom to pass along, like say Oldman42, well, you know.....

On Internet forums, an elder is someone that signed up the day before you did.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken is a generous, thoughtful guy who I have both agreed with and verbally sparred with on here over the years. It's sad that he either can't or won't get on here anymore although it was painful to watch him get put down. He's one of the smartest and most experienced men on the fire. Like Curdog said, he's not perfect. I wish him all the best.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
He's one of the smartest and most experienced men on the fire

Just ask him.....

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by RickyD
Fireball, you started this.

Never had anything but nice things to say about Mr Howell. And each and every one of you knows Steelhead is the instigator of so much nastiness on here, including against Ken Howell. I for one am fed up with the BS so I have taken the offensive against azzholes like Steelhead. If you can't see that for what it is then I guess that's the way it is.
I know exactly who steelhead is. I've been acquainted with him longer than you. I also know who posted first. See that for what it is.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by hatari
I like Ken and miss his posts.

Me too.

Me Three. Ken is a good man, not perfect but good. If a man has achieved good in his lifetime, he done good.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.