-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
on a few occasions I have heard people here at the fire mention waxing their rifle for moisture protection. I have a rifle that I plan to hunt with this year that is wood stocked and blued. On the metal parts, do you strip the oils off before waxing? Do you put the wax on and polish, or just apply and let it set? I have never done or talked to anyone that has done this, so any information is appreciated. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use a wax made from carnauba and beeswax: Gilly Stephenson's Gun Wax - I'm not sure if it is available in the US, but no doubt you could get something like it. I simply wipe all the metalwork down with a clean flannelette, and then apply the wax sparingly to all external surfaces (save for glass of course), and then buff it off by hand with a wadded-up flannelette.

If you don't buff it off it is sticky, and will attract dust and hairs. What you're left with after buffing is a thin layer, which feels hard, and gleams, not sticky or waxy feeling.

I've been doing it for many years, and blued steel and walnut seem to have survived all sorts of conditions, rain, dust, sweat and all.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wax all of my rifles & cane rods. Usually Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Taconic11
I wax all of my rifles & cane rods. Usually Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.

This. I use more Butcher's Wax than any of the others, because I came up using it in my trade and it never let me down. Truth be told any paste wax (but not car wax- it has silicone in it that isn't good for a wooden stock) is ok, some slightly better than others. I don't de-oil my metal first. Wax on, wax off- don't let it sit un-buffed.

Happiness is getting caught out in a rain shower and watching the water bead up and run off. smile

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/10/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image]

No special treatment other than to goop/rub on furniture paste wax. Some black shoe polish on top of that. After the wax dries, it makes a flat matte surface that reduces reflection.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Johnson's furniture paste wax as well. Have not tried the Bowling Alley wax, but might give it a go. Don't usually carry wood in the weather, but have been caught on trips pressing wood into snow and rain.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Howard's feed n wax, at Home Depot/Lowes. $8. Beeswax, caranuba and some citrus oil. Works great. Thank me later!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Johnson's paste wax or Renaissance. Loaned a rifle to my son-in-law a couple of years ago. He hunted for three days straight in the rain. Due to lack of knowledge (he's an engineer - go figure) he didn't want to part it out and dry it. I got it back six weeks later and the only rust was in the socket on the Allen screws.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I put Essox, One shot or corrosion X on first let it sit over night till it feels dry and then wax over it. Especially if hunting around salt water I could see where the wax got rubbed off and rust was starting.

I carry those towelette packages of sheath or corrosion X out in the field if I expect it to be wet.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I use renaissance

Tater
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use Butchers on all my wooden stocks but don't buff it out too much. Keeps the snow and rain beading up and falling off pretty good. Most of my rifles also have been treated with spar varnish on the inletting, etc.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We use Johnson's paste wax, meant for floors.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Johnsons. On metal wood and plastic if applicable. Works well

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a friend who does high end builds. He uses Renaissance. It doesn't finger print like others. On my utility Rems & whatever. I use Butchers. At one time, I was in the world of Orvis, Leonard, T&T, Powell & Garrison Fly rods. Everyone that I knew used Butchers Bowling Alley Wax. That has been good enough for me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have used Johnsons paste wax for years and it does a good job
Rub it into the stock heavily and let it dry,no need to buff it ,same thing for the Metal.
I have a can that I have used for the better part of 30 years.
I used it on Self Bows and arrows made from Hickory way back when.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The problem I have with the Renaissance and Johnson wax is that rotten penetrating smell when I use them.

What is the smell of the Butchers Bowling Alley Wax like?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
To me Johnsons does not smell all that bad, compared to other stuff that use. I do have some on hand and will try it. Thanks to all that have posted. miles

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I try to remember to wax whichever guns I'll be hunting with well ahead of time so the smell dissipates. Probably a waste of time as the deer can smell my coffee and cigar breath just as readily. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Probably a waste of time as the deer can smell my coffee and cigar breath just as readily. grin

At home, I sit in an elevated blind with sides and a roof. I can drink coffee, I dip and spit out the window, and would pizz out the window if I had made the roof tall enough to stand erect, and never had a problem spooking deer. I even have a radio with headphones, to listen to a Razorback game if needed. I have killed several deer while doing this. miles

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I do not bother about what game can or cannot smell as I am only looking to shoot the really dumb slow ones...what the smell does to my guts is another thing entirely.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.