Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Watch this stud go through his paces. He can single foot at 30 mph and not even spill your coffee. I don't know if I've ever seen one this smooth. I wonder how many miles he can keep that up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Man he can pick em up and boogie. Does look very smooth.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
wow

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
He's doing some work at that speed. It's not a small fella on him either. I know next to nothing about gaited horses but that's pretty impressive to watch.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd be trying to find the lope button.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wow...

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of my hunting partners and his wife do a lot of trail riding. She has a TN Walker and his is a MO Foxtrotter. I'm impressed at how many miles those horses can cover in the mountains in a day. They'll leave an ungaited horse sitting at the trailer.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ironbender

grin That's exactly what I thought. Neat to see though.

I've not spent time with them, but how well will a gaited horse lope? I'd guess folks who ride them try to keep them in the gaits and out of a lope(?).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My mother had a gated horse when we were kids but I never saw or worked with any real Cowboys that had anything to do with them...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mother had a gated horse when we were kids but I never saw or worked with any real Cowboys that had anything to do with them...

Different horse breeds for different uses. In the old days cowboys were not the only ones to ride horses and even the cow ponies differed from North to South, with the Southern ones favoring smaller ponies. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's my understanding that gaited horses were originally developed in the south by plantation owners who needed a faster way to cover their huge plantations. Most horses today are used strictly for pleasure riding and the gaited breeds are getting very popular.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by ironbender

grin That's exactly what I thought. Neat to see though.

I've not spent time with them, but how well will a gaited horse lope? I'd guess folks who ride them try to keep them in the gaits and out of a lope(?).

I don't ride quarter horses anymore and I don't have much expierence at all training quarter horses. I say that to say I do train walking horses. A slow lope is one of their gaits. Some people think it screws up their gait. Those people are like the hunters who get their rifle bore sighted and go hunt.

It's my understanding from quarter horse people that you want your horse to flex be light in the mouth and stay in the gear you put it in till you ask for a different gear or a stop. That's exactly how I work mine anyway. For our horses it's very important for them to have a good mouth for many many reasons. From safety to helping them in their gait holding them in their gait slow lope backing etc.....

Many many many different opinions about gaited horses and what their good for and not good for. Just like everything else you get lots of info from people that don't know what their talking about. I know I hear stupid bs all the time and I live in gaited horse country.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's my understanding that gaited horses were originally developed in the south by plantation owners who needed a faster way to cover their huge plantations. Most horses today are used strictly for pleasure riding and the gaited breeds are getting very popular.

That's all true. That's also why we ride walking horses. We do raise cattle but don't work them from horse back. I will say my walking horses are about as cowey as most of the locals so called cow horses. I know a few guys who rope but 90% of the people I see ans know just pleasure ride. I do hunt off mine and sell some for field trial and plantation use. So for us the gaited horses just are a better fit.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What the heck this years elk hunt. We got two cows and a little bull. Great times. I took a 2.5 year old a 3yr old and a 3.5 yr old.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Working on ground tieing around gunfire.
[Linked Image]
New colt I just started last week
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Really put some hours in yesterday. He was happy to stand still when we were finished
Just sold
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/a...-F26B-4A14-BFA3-06081617AC97_1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1228.photobucket.com/a...6F-2DBB-44B1-AD0C-68957FCAD58F.jpg[/img]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]
Just sold
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kaleb; 11/21/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the olden days, a good smooth riding horse was worth a lot of money. I think what is now the quarter horse started in Texas and was bred up as a working cow pony. They wanted them small because of the brush. When ranching went North up in snow country, they wanted bigger horses, so that is what they bred. What we have now does not resemble the old cow pony very much, and most never see a cow outside of the arena, if then. miles

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by milespatton
Back in the olden days, a good smooth riding horse was worth a lot of money. I think what is now the quarter horse started in Texas and was bred up as a working cow pony. They wanted them small because of the brush. When ranching went North up in snow country, they wanted bigger horses, so that is what they bred. What we have now does not resemble the old cow pony very much, and most never see a cow outside of the arena, if then. miles

The quarter horse started on the east coast and moved west with expansion. Quarter horse come in multiple sizes. My brothers breeds cutting type horse and they are typically shorter than racing breed horse. I mix my cutting breed with racing breed for more size and speed. I also have some racing bred mares.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Quarter_Horse#Breed_history

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Kaleb,

Thanks for the insight, I know next to nothing about gaited horses though lots of folks around here own them.

jwp475,

Yes, quarter horses are all over the map on size. We have them from 14.2 to 16.3 right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The quarter horse started on the east coast and moved west with expansion.

While this is true, the cow horse version was mainly bred in Texas to start with, as that is where the wild cows were. Lot of difference between working tame cows and wild ones. miles

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good post. The horses look very capable. Some very nice saddles you have there. Hard to improve on a Steele for what we do.

Looks like you are using the snaffle bit which I generally prefer with our Rocky's. Do you stay with that bit after training or transition to another?

Last edited by woods_walker; 11/23/15.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 67 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,544
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.