Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]
I don't know why photo bucket deleted those pics but it did. Yes I really like the Steele saddles. I like the mountaineer as well as anything I've rode. That said somethimes I like a horn for working them with the ropes for example ans needed another saddle with a horn. I sold the others I had. So Fred fixed me up with their ranch style saddle. Been riding it everyday since last Monday. I really like it so far.

Yes I start them with a simple snaffle. Today I started the little buckskin on a sweet iron wonder bit. Just a smooth broke bit but has a little shank and the big slides. You're probably familiar with them. If not I'll post pics or something. It's a very easy and forgiving bit. I go to it and use a curb chain with it. It keeps the curb up high which doesn't bother the horse as bad and helps him to give his head/mouth. All I'm doing in his mouth at this point is asking for it with my fingers and giving it right back. He's getting pretty soft in his mouth and flexing good. I just started him on the 10th and missed 2 days due to rain. I'll go to riding him with this bit for a few weeks. Right now with the days so short I work him in little circles figure 8's etc for about 20 min then ride him for say 45min-2 hours. All I'm doing right now is drilling on circles 8's backing and standing still to get on/off.

Depending on how he does I'll most likely switch from the smooth wonder bit to a twisted wire. I don't do this till he/she knows what I'm asking for. It just helps make them respond a little bit better. By this point their neck reining and take very little hold. Now a D snaffle is fine.

This is when mine normally get sold and then they get to do pretty much whatever they want...grin.

To

GB2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
[Linked Image]

Did they go roughout on the seat/fenders? I'm thinking of trying a roughout seat on my next saddle but may leave the fenders smooth.

Steele's light weight while carrying a lifetime warranty is looking good to me.... Do you have a weight on that one?

I understand the desire for a horn. I don't rope unless I have to, but it's a lot easier to pull a 250 lbs billy with a low center of gravity and all-time four wheel drive away from a herd of nannies from horseback than from the ground.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes I wanted to try rough out on both. That along with the hard seat is new for me but I was convinced a padded seat doesn't make it more comfortable. The other steeles I have don't really have any padding really. So far I really really like it but don't have a weight. It's for sure lighter than any other saddle like it I've messed with. I came very close to ordering a Mccall. I spoke with people that use them and called and had a lengthy conversation with a man at Dryfork. In the end I personally know and like Fred (Fred ans Eric own Steele) and it almost seemed silly to not use them. I went to his shop looked things over he changed a thing or two he really took care of me.

They have a demo program as I'm sure you know. If hat doesn't work for you maybe we could get together soon and you show me a good new place to ride and you can see what you think of it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The appeal for me and the roughout is starting these young horses. You do stick in it somewhat better. I'm no cowboy a sometimes need all he help I can get...haha. I seldome have them buck much though.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Funny you mentioned McCall. I've been thinking about one of their Pendleton models.

I prefer hard seats though I sold my last one a while back. Mine have all been slick and I like that fine on a known horse, but with a young one or when sorting goats I'd like a bit more stick.

You'd mentioned Steele's demo program in the past. I like the idea of their light weight. Would be great to have you down for a visit to ride, all the better if I get to look the saddle over!

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm about to cape out a buck for a friend work one of those colts then take my nephew hunting. I'll get with you after supper exchange numbers etc...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Kaleb-
Is training gaited horses your occupation or a hobby?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I guess the short answer is hobby but as with any hobby I want to be better at it than I am. A few years ago I realized I didn't know as much about training horses as I thought I did. It is a dream of mine to be able to make my living training horses. I'm not there yet but I do earn about half of what I make at the ambulance service with horses now.

I did the same with gun stuff too. Learned to load shot some decent groups hit a few targets out to 5-700 yards and thought I was a benchrest shooter.....when I accepted I didn't really know what I was doing I was able to learn a few things...haha

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
178 members (32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 25 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.