Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_O_M
That sounds like a Russco special. frown

I lucked out .. the other shops warned me before I had him do any work. The said one crappy gunsmith in town could keep all the other gunsmiths in business just fixing his mistakes.

It was no exaggeration.

Tom, where the heck is a good gunsmith in our area?

LOL
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I took a rifle to him. Bud Hopson's shop was closed at the time. I fell and broke the screws off holding the mounts on. It took him about a year before I received the rifle back. When I did, the barrel was worse than hand tight. It was loose! I tightened it with a pipe wrench so folks at the range would notice the gouges in the barrel. When they asked about it, I told them which 'smith did it.

Eventually I had good ol' Bud Hopson put a new barrel on it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The situations has changed a lot in the last year. One of the two gunsmiths I used is not doing general gunsmithing now, just building custom rifles and manufacturing. The other was changing to a different line of work and I think gave up his FFL.

I need to talk to them to see where the lines are drawn, what their definitions are.

Two that I know are still working are Ed Boening (kinda by Blackbird / across from BiMart on West Main in medford) and Val Albert (I think in the Vilas Road area towards Central point ... vaguely) I'm not aware of anyone in Grants Pass right now.

In the 80s I had work done by Bud, by George Long, and by Dick Wall.

I think there is a shop or a 'smith out by Murphy but I've never been to it. Talked to them on the phone once about a gun I was looking for. I don't know if that was Chick Donnelly's outfit or not.

10 years ago we had gunsmiths and shops all over, all the sudden the well is pretty dry.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a new 'smith in Grants Pass. I met him at the range, but other than that I don't know him or his work. His address is 124 north "D". When I work up the nerve I will take something for him to look at.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm getting ready to try one down here in Sacramento who comes highly recommended. Not exactly your neck of the woods but closer than others on this forum. I'll report the results.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
There is a new 'smith in Grants Pass. I met him at the range, but other than that I don't know him or his work. His address is 124 north "D". When I work up the nerve I will take something for him to look at.

I cannot recommend this gunsmith. I found his knowledge to be woefully lacking. It was downright embarrassing to hear him going on... PM if you want details.

LOL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.