Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now we are going to start the hot chamber argument!

ARIC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
Why do you hate Colt lowers? They now use regular pins and no more sear block, just a web that doesn't hurt anything.

An AR lower should be milspec dimensions, minus the sear hole. Anything else just lowers it's potential versatility.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I thought all the new ones were standard dimensions.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why do some trucks cost more than others?
I worked for a guy who said "Why would anyone trust their life to a gun that needs a forward assist?"
whelennut

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut
Why do some trucks cost more than others?
I worked for a guy who said "Why would anyone trust their life to a gun that needs a forward assist?"
whelennut
They don't really need one. The Vietnam era AR's were tested with extruded powders, which is what they were built for. Then the military bought a bunch of 5.56 with ball powder. This fouled the guns inordinately and lead to the stories about the AR not being reliable. When an AR is fired a bunch with ball powder, it does get gummy. This leads to a forward assist being an advantage. It is also an advantage if you are fearful of carrying one hot and then need to quietly chamber a round in the presence of game, rather than letting the bolt slam home as it is supposed to do. So the need for a Forward Assist is debatable. I've got and have had some with and without the feature. I have very seldom used it.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by whelennut
"Why would anyone trust their life to a gun that needs a forward assist?"
whelennut

Was he a retard also?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp

I think he is talking about the area where a RDIAS would go. It would have to be milled out. However, unless you own or are planning on getting a RDIAS, its a non-issue. I can't find anything wrong with my Colt lower, works just like all the rest.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just got back from club (range) and looking over my targets.
LMT .....Because Failure Is Not An Option!

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some people just need something to gripe about.

Bushmaster, Rock River and plenty of other brands have a high shelf that needs to be milled out too but only those few with an RDIAS know, the rest just think Colt is the only one. Too funny.

While I've held an RDIAS In my paws, that's as close as I'll get to one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Originally Posted by jimmyp

I think he is talking about the area where a RDIAS would go. It would have to be milled out. However, unless you own or are planning on getting a RDIAS, its a non-issue. I can't find anything wrong with my Colt lower, works just like all the rest.

Is it still impossible for someone without access to a mill to replace the trigger with any trigger available?

I tried putting a RR in a sear block Colt. Not happening.

And the RDIAS, RLLs are an issue too. I would like to own one some day.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
New Colts will take any trigger you want.

I thought that was old news by now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never tried a RR in my Colt, probably never will. Send me all your unwanted Colt lowers, I'll send you some Andersons.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I put a geissle in a 6720, so that does work.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Back to the OPs question
I went with the colt 6920-OEM1
This is a Colt LE rifle without furniture ($720)
I ordered PINK Magpul stock, hand guard, trigger guard, and grip ( this will be the wife's rifle)
I ordered a aimpoint PRO and Magpul magazines
I will use an old BUIS and sling I have.
Total for all $1,250

Last edited by BMT; 09/13/15.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
cause they are worth it?

I have a Stag 6, a CMMG 16 Bull WASP Upper, and a first experience Homebrew Upper built with economy parts and a Stag NY 16" (Stag Model 3) barrel.

The Homebrew is still in the teething pains stage, but initial accuracy testing has pleasantly surprised me.

On brief reflection, I think the fit and function are effectively/collectively due to the strict commonality inherent in the basic design, combined with the accuracy potential of a good barrel.

I know this can sound like anathema to the hardcore AR enthusiast, and I commend their fervor. I just want a basic AR that works as expected, and costs what I can afford.

The Homebrew Upper's teething issues are due to haste and inexperience on my part, and can be corrected by readdressing my assembly process taking more time and attention. The parts appear to be fine.

My other two Uppers are based on 16" and 24" Bull Barrels, and the Homebrew's lighter weight and better balance are both noticeable and welcome.

Greg

PS The barrel is as described above, the free-float parts are from JTM, the gas system is Roush, and the complete upper assembly came from ARstuff. Aside from the barrel, all components were purchased direct from Amazon, and the entire cost was $438 including shipping.

It is topped off by a Vortex SPARC mini-dot.

Good marksmanship is no accident
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just to throw a curve in the conversation but didn't FN get the military contract for the military firearm?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
FN has the contracts on both the M4 and the M16.

They build em exactly like the TDP says and that came from 40+ years of continuing development. Any company is capable of building them to meet the mil spec, problem is most don't.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.