Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
hello everyone, I'm new to pack hunting, and I want some recommendations. from what I've been reading, I'd like something with a frame, that would be good for about 3 days. If possible, I'd like to get two, one for hunting, and a cheaper version I could use to train with and not worry about it getting messed up or nasty. what do you guys think? any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jay Wiggins
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Get yourself a Kifaru Duplex frame. Then pick the bag you want that will fit most of your needs. As your needs change, you can get another bag that better fits those needs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would order multiple packs at once so you can have them all at the same time. I ordered Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Paradox, Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter, and Barney's. I also tried on an EXO and Mystery Ranch that a friend had. I was able to try them all on with weight and see which one fit my body best. I ended up going with a Kifaru Hunting Platform frame and Mountain Warrior bag (4,800). It was great to be able to compare on the spot. We had 4 people trying the packs on, and we each thought a different pack was the most comfortable. I spent a little more to ship packs back, but I know I got the one that fit me best. That was worth the price of return shipping.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sold on Outdoorsmans, think there is one in the classifieds.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Don't overlook the mainstream backpacking focused brands like arc tery'x, gregory, osprey, etc. An 80L+ pack will fit a hind elk quarter. The backpacking style packs generally have less features (pockets, zippers, pouches, etc) but weight less. Also, the price may be better, not sure. Every time i look at packs marketed towards hunting they seem heavier and expensive. I bought an arc tery'x bora 95 during my mountaineering years and that has always served me well on backpack hunts.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice thing about bags that can be removed from the frame is that you can pull it off and soak it in the tub.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you're willing to hump a slightly heavier pack, a milsurp ILBE pack cannot be beaten for the price. They were designed by Arc'Teryx and are basically a beefed-up Bora. There is no other way to buy this much design for the $ unless you stumble on a used one sold by an unsuspecting person. The padding, strap system and back pad are hard to beat. I've put hard miles on mine ...

However, the cool factor is zero and braggin' rights zilch.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you need to spend $500 on a pack to feel vested in the sport, scroll down ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah... Cool factor and bragging rights are the reasons I use good packs...

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well yeah Tanner it's only for the cool factor. Has nothing to do with being much more comfy when pack 10-15 animals out a year on your back.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Next to boots, the pack is probably your most important investment. Not the place to look for bargains.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just get a military surplus rucksack for training. If you have an large, cordura book bag, that will work too. Load it with sand bags or water bottles. Stuff in some old towels to give it some body. It doesn't need to be real heavy. Your "real" pack will have a load bearing waist belt. Just use the training pack with shoulder straps to train your back and shoulders to carry a load.

As for a three day pack, that depends a lot on your other gear and where you're using it. A three day pack in temperate weather with good gear can be pretty small. Thirty years ago, my 3 day outfit would be 45 lbs of stuff in a Kelty Tioga.

Also, consider where you'll be packing. A good external frame pack can be a wonderful way to carry heavy loads unless you are frequently going to be in overhead brush. We have a lot of scrub oak forest where I live. It's about impossible to carry a tall pack through it. It'll also rip up anything lightweight. I have a 5.11 3 day bag that I use there for overnights. It has a small enough profile to not be always getting hung up in the brush and it's durable. It wouldn't be my pick elsewhere though as it is heavy and the frame and suspension are not very comfortable when you exceed 40 lbs or so. The pack won't break with a heavy load but it won't be fun either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Next to boots, the pack is probably your most important investment. Not the place to look for bargains.

That's the damn truth and fit is everything in both regards. Guys would rather worry about Accubonds vs Partitions than their boots though.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by oklahunter
Your "real" pack will have a load bearing waist belt. Just use the training pack with shoulder straps to train your back and shoulders to carry a load.

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me, (and yes I've done it). Based on the principle that you should train for what you're going to do, how you're going to do it. Putting the weight on your hips works a different set of muscles than putting it on the shoulders.

Not only that, but different hip belts distribute the weight differently. My Paradox pack hits my glutes harder than other packs, which isn't a bad thing unless I train with something else and then switch to the Paradox for a heavy load. My advice is to train with the pack you'll carry during crunch time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tanner
Yeah... Cool factor and bragging rights are the reasons I use good packs...

Tanner

Let me clarify here. I don't mean great packs are not worth the money. You use one for a living. It is possible to have a good pack and good fun for less, and the ILBE performs well if weight is not critical.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Think I've used every pack mentioned so far.

If one has no more than $100 to spend, the surplus Marine ILBE packs are about as good as you can get. Having said that, they are compromised in quite a few ways and would not be the first choice. A properly fitted civilian pack would be a much better choice.

The desire and following advice to have two different packs is about as f'ed up advice as I've seen here. Buy a solid pack then use it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
If you're willing to hump a slightly heavier pack, a milsurp ILBE pack cannot be beaten for the price. They were designed by Arc'Teryx and are basically a beefed-up Bora. There is no other way to buy this much design for the $ unless you stumble on a used one sold by an unsuspecting person. The padding, strap system and back pad are hard to beat. I've put hard miles on mine ...

However, the cool factor is zero and braggin' rights zilch.

No sir, they are not basically a beefed up BORA. The suspension may look similar, but BORA is a much better pack than the IBLE. Mainly because it's possible to get functional lift with a BORA 80/90. I have used BORA's for many years, and tried a ILBE for part of a season... IME, mrwiggins would be much better off picking up a used Arcteryx, than to end up with a compromise like the milsurp...

And I say that, knowing there are better packs available than the Arcteryx... Got nothing to do with cool factor or bragging rights. smile

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

mrwiggins:

I went on my first backpack trip with the Boy Scouts in 1958 and have gone on maybe half a dozen trips every year since then. I own a dozen or so backpacks and have discarded another half a dozen along the way.

When I'm backpacking I use gear designed by backpackers for backpackers. My current favorite is an Osprey Xenith 75, XL, gray.

[Linked Image]

http://www.rei.com/product/846439/osprey-xenith-75-pack

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.