24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I have been reading what I could find on the barrel nut setups on remington actions. BUT my question is are the nuts and barrels interchangable? Meaning can I buy a Mcgowen Barrel and nut first and later buy a Pac nor barrel and use the mcgowen nut? And the same, A criterion barrel with a pac nor nut? Im thinking of putting a 6.5 super barrel on a model seven but not all three makers offer 6.5 super, but those that don't have 260 AI reamers so I may change later.
I realize one thread diameter is what it is but there may be something to the difference of outside diameter of barrel and the nuts/barrels are not interchangeable.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I ain't got a clue.....

but Do Not Be-smurch the Remington name in such a foul way.
smile

Jerry

ps - just noticed you're a newbe, WELCOME to the fire.

Last edited by jwall; 11/14/15.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hiya 6x,
I'd expect the nut to be interchangeable as the barrels are but you'd do well to call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply and get the news directly from a guy that knows for sure.
He's got some good prices for good barrels too!

Welcome to the 'fire!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes the barrel nut would interchange since they are all threaded for the Remington action. They're all built to use the same barrel nut wrench as well so the outside diameters will be almost exactly the same. The system works exactly the same as the Savage barrel nut.

Welcome to the fire.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The remington threads are different than savage threads however. So long as you have a nut made for a remington threaded barrel then it'll work with any barrel make. You can't pair a savage nut with a remington barrel though.

I'll second the advice to call Jim at Northland shooter's supply. He'll fix you up.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The winner of a prs competition I was in a couple weeks ago had a remage-style barrel on a 700 in a Manners. That gave the concept of a barrel nut bolt action validity in my mind (no blue printing). I don't know who made the barrel.

Last edited by whitebread; 11/14/15.
OP Offline
Im gonna try the set up without blueprinting and with a BC 2466. If groups look promising with hunting loads then I may put more money into looks, if no good groups then I may have the action squared up.
Thanks everyone

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Remington 783 barrel nut is the same nut as a Savage SMALL SHANK barrel nut, they are interchangeable, I just screwed a Savage nut on a 783 barrel to be sure.

The Remington 700 barrel nuts have different (coarser) threads and the Pac-Nor Rem-Nut is longer and more stylish than the Savage style nut. Below is a photograph of a Remington 700 with a Pac-Nor barrel and nut installed, with a Bergara barrel and nut shown below, note the shorter smooth nut. This shorter nut will only accept the OEM recoil lug, while the Pac-Nor can accept thicker precision nuts, in this case a .250" precision lug.

[Linked Image]

Pac-Nor Rem-Nuts, and those for the Remington 783 all use the same Savage nut wrench, as does those from Northland Shooter's Supply. However, Pac-Nor barrels are contoured for the longer nut, whether another manufacturer's nut will fit or vice versa is open to question, but is a moot point if one buys the barrel maker's nut along with the barrel. My choice is for the Pac-Nor product, as it allows for more flexibility and the barrels, especially the polygonal rifled ones, are extremely accurate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
The Remington 783 barrel nut is the same nut as a Savage SMALL SHANK barrel nut, they are interchangeable, I just screwed a Savage nut on a 783 barrel to be sure.

The Remington 700 barrel nuts have different (coarser) threads and the Pac-Nor Rem-Nut is longer and more stylish than the Savage style nut. Below is a photograph of a Remington 700 with a Pac-Nor barrel and nut installed, with a Bergara barrel and nut shown below, note the shorter smooth nut. This shorter nut will only accept the OEM recoil lug, while the Pac-Nor can accept thicker precision nuts, in this case a .250" precision lug.

[Linked Image]

Pac-Nor Rem-Nuts, and those for the Remington 783 all use the same Savage nut wrench, as does those from Northland Shooter's Supply. However, Pac-Nor barrels are contoured for the longer nut, whether another manufacturer's nut will fit or vice versa is open to question, but is a moot point if one buys the barrel maker's nut along with the barrel. My choice is for the Pac-Nor product, as it allows for more flexibility and the barrels, especially the polygonal rifled ones, are extremely accurate.

Who makes the short, smooth barrel nut mentioned with the Bergara barrel? Bergara?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yes, that lug came with the Bergara barrel. When I picked up the Bergara barrel they were more available, but now the selection is very limited. In fact, it was pretty accurate too! The two groups below were some I just guessed at, loaded and took to the range, not bad, considering the red diamonds are .5" square.

[Linked Image]

The only down side to the Bergara smooth nut is that it is installed with a plumber's strap wrench, so it's not possible to torque it to a consistent value, but then maybe that's not all that important given that it works well enough.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 11/26/15.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (2UP, 35, 44mc, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.