Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I packed my 375 H&H for the first time and I have to say it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It weighs in at 10.2 pounds with a sling and 4 rounds. Sometimes I wonder if guys get too giddy about light rifles, even if they don't balance perfectly. Personally I'd rather have a rifle that hangs in the hand like it was meant to be there vs. one that feels so top heavy that it actually wears you out carrying it. The last 5 days of the hunt were spent with the 375 in hand and I have to say it was a joy in the field... Unfortunately no elk were harmed this year, but there's always next year laugh. Take care guys....:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great looking set up Lawrence.

Don

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Don. You could have packed this one in Africa with no problems...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sure is purdy.

Better luck next time.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like a Zeiss Conquest. Great choice on an awesome rifle.
Bob

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, a good ol 3.5-10x44. 375 H&H is overkill for an elk, but I wanted to bloody this rifle. I was hoping by switching rifles out, the mojo would be better but no such luck.... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry about the wapiti not being cooperative this year, BUT, that is one nice looking rig! Blends in to the terrain quite nicely too. Were it mine I might have to tie a hunk of orange yarn to it so I didn't lose it! wink

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree about the weight, I used to try to see how light I could get my rifle and then realized that a little heavier rifle balances nicer and is easier to hold steady. My 26" 300H&H actually feels better carrying and shooting that the 270 push feed Featherweight I'm hunting with this year. Maybe next year I'll pull out the 375H&H Transition and try it out on deer again. This time not with 300 grain Barnes though!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

On the other end of the spectrum and still perfect in the balance department is this Sako carbine in 222 mag. Much lighter and has killed some small game...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool rifle shrap.. You are lucky. I grew up in country like that and miss the rabbit hunting..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elk or no elk a rifle well worth posting and carrying and thanks for sharing it in it's natural environment.

I have that scope on my fwt 270.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very cool rifle shrap.. You are lucky. I grew up in country like that and miss the rabbit hunting..

What you want is one of those with long action 18.5" barrel in kal .338WM or .375H&H. Those Sako Mannlichers in larger calibers are surprisingly difficult to find.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Slavek

What you want is one of those with long action 18.5" barrel in kal .338WM or .375H&H. Those Sako Mannlichers in larger calibers are surprisingly difficult to find.

I learned a long time ago ,a pissing match on the internet is like winning the race in the 'Special Olympics' you may come in first..... BUT you are still a water head!
Trust me when I tell you what Mr BSA wants ,he takes his time and finds, buys and hunts! He has no problem fixing it up to suit HIM to a tee!!!! the very best WinPoor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good, Lawrence!! Thumbs up!!

Eric

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by shrapnel

On the other end of the spectrum and still perfect in the balance department is this Sako carbine in 222 mag. Much lighter and has killed some small game...

[Linked Image]

Jeeze that is beautiful country Mr Shrapnel!!!! v b WP

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Yep, a good ol 3.5-10x44. 375 H&H is overkill for an elk, but I wanted to bloody this rifle. I was hoping by switching rifles out, the mojo would be better but no such luck.... laugh

Overkill until you have a big 6x6 standing in front of you at a really bad angle! Nice setup!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted By bsa1917hunter
Yep, a good ol 3.5-10x44. 375 H&H is overkill for an elk, but I wanted to bloody this rifle. I was hoping by switching rifles out, the mojo would be better but no such luck....

I don't think it's overkill ,although I have a fixed 4 power on mine, I load 235g TSX in mine and use it for everything. (300 gr for big bears ),VERY little meat damage even on blacktails. I think the 375 H&H is one of the most versitile rounds ever conceived, load it up or down and go kill anything on the planet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I took two pre 64 Win 70's to Africa this past July, a Fwt 30-06 with a Leupold VX2 in 2-7x, that I didn't bother to ever weigh, and a 375 H&H with 25 inch barrel, 1.75-6x Leupold VX3 that weighs in @ 11 pounds exactly - scoped, slung, and loaded. They both carried and performed very well. All shots well over 100 yards; most were 200 and the longest 270 yards on a big, old Kudu.

If I ever go back I will take the 375 H&H. For two reasons.

The first being that the heavy rifle pointed and held so much steadier; afterall when shooting competition, there is no rule on how light your rifle is, but there is an upper limit, because a heavy rifle is an advantage.

The second is as Elmer Keith famously said "With a 375 H&H you can eat right up to the bullet hole."

For the record I used Nosler Partitions in both, 180 and 260 grain respectively.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Well I took two pre 64 Win 70's to Africa this past July, a Fwt 30-06 with a Leupold VX2 in 2-7x, that I didn't bother to ever weigh, and a 375 H&H with 25 inch barrel, 1.75-6x Leupold VX3 that weighs in @ 11 pounds exactly - scoped, slung, and loaded. They both carried and performed very well. All shots well over 100 yards; most were 200 and the longest 270 yards on a big, old Kudu.

If I ever go back I will take the 375 H&H. For two reasons.

The first being that the heavy rifle pointed and held so much steadier; afterall when shooting competition, there is no rule on how light your rifle is, but there is an upper limit, because a heavy rifle is an advantage.

The second is as Elmer Keith famously said "With a 375 H&H you can eat right up to the bullet hole."

For the record I used Nosler Partitions in both, 180 and 260 grain respectively.

Thanks for the post Mike. Those are 2 of my favorite pills for those cartridges....I appreciate the input.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great looking rifle. I love the 375 H&H too. Loads of fun to shoot. Carrying them? Not so much. I opt for short lightweight guns now due to the Oregon tangles I end up hunting. I just put this together and will be using it next season. It's in .375 also. .375 Winchester! smile

[Linked Image]

I've found the .375's in mild or magnum form to be very accurate, pleasant to shoot, and confidence inspiring with their accuracy and manners. You just reach for them. I'd like to put together a 19-20" magnum lightweight of some type. Beautiful rifle BSA.

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,878
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.