Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I know large pistol caliber firearms are roundly hated here on the fire, poor Shrapnel every time he tells us about his Beretta CX4 Storm's gets lambasted mostly from people who just think 9mm, 40S&W suck from any type of carbine etc.

I was speaking to a person at my local gun store today and he has the 9mm storm. He loves the thing, accurate, cheap to shoot.

Tell me again why we don't want a light weight 9mm carbine? Why do we always want a 223?

I would think the 9mm CX4 would be practical for a home defense gun????

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Most people just seem skeeered of the 9mm cartridge for some reason. I think a SBR EVO Scorpion or a Sig MPX would be handy in many situations.

Check out the military arms channel on youtube. He did a recent gellatin test with the 9mm.

But on the Beretta CX4 Storm, well, it looks like schitt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Oh Travis

This post is calling you

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
why not the 223 I think is a big argument?

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a Colt 9mm AR and really liked it for a range gun and suppose it would work just fine at closer ranges. Run one through some drills and the zero recoil makes it easy to look good.

I just think the 223/5.56 offers so much more...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Most people just seem skeeered of the 9mm cartridge for some reason. I think a SBR EVO Scorpion or a Sig MPX would be handy in many situations.

Check out the military arms channel on youtube. He did a recent gellatin test with the 9mm.

Far from ugly. You want ugly, look at a Walther. The Storm will out shoot any carbine in it's class. People always badmouth the 9mm too, but you will never hear someone shot with a 9mm say..."Gee, that didn't hurt"...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Storms and their companion pistol counterparts are bad news for anything that wants to tempt their inadequacies...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I think it's a great idea.

I've added one to "the list".

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Asstaed above, for the sMe size and weight and cost, you get more range and power from a 223/5.56.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I don't want a 9MM carbine. I don't care though, if others want one. See no need to justify either choice.

Sam......

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Actually I do want one

Just have to prioritize gun money

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You never hear someone shot with a .22 or even a pellet rifle saying "Gee that didn't hurt", but it doesn't make it a great choice for self defense. Yes, the 9mm out of a long barrel will do lots of things well, but it doesn't do anything better than the 5.56 except it is a tad quieter and kicks a bit less. As a fun gun, I say go for it. As a self defense gun, go for it. Better than a 5.56? Nope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will bet if you looked at the record of people killed throughout he world, with a 9mm, you would find more than a few. Getting more power to make up for personal ineptitude only goes so far. I would also speculate that 99% or more of people preparing themselves for self defense will never have to resort to their choice of firearm.

Massad Ayoob makes a living from selling fear of personal harm. He has written tons on personal defense, and as much as I believe in being prepared, it is guys like him writing all those articles that set up a society with a genuine fear and an artificial solution...

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
My wife does not like to shoot a 5.56 carbine because of muzzle blast but loved a Ruger PC 40. I know it does not have the range or potential penetration of a 5.56 but a 180gr at 1300fps is nothing to complain about. The 165 golddot was right at 1400fps and is the go to load for her. I would much rather have her run the .40 or 9mm carbine she can hit with than the AR she does not like.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bearstalker

I saw that SIG MPX the other day, it is a cool looking pistol, I think the reviews on it are very good.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I posted a few weeks back about pistol round AR's and received zero responses.

My thought was 45acp or 10mm, heavy bullets, sub-sonic and suppressed would be fun to shoot and beneficial in the rare instance I had to use it inside the home for self defense.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I prefer the .223 to just about anything these days. Bolt or semi.

But there are advantages to the pistol stuff in carbines. This was figured out in the 1800's so there's no reason to discuss advantages to commonality. Yes, it's still a pistol round but most people can put rounds on target at greater distance more easier when it's flying out of a shoulder fired weapon. As far as aesthetics, look at all the old Winchesters chambered in pistol rounds. You'd need a PhD in ugly to make a stupider looking firearm but they worked great and so do the Storms.

As far as the AR platform and pistol cartridges are concerned, I have seen some great running Colt's chambered in 9mm and that is where the "good" list ends. I won't even fire a .40 cal version and I've not seen one chambered in .45.

The .45 and the .40 cal versions (to me) are the most practical and the reason for that is sub-sonic stuff comes in factory form and is everywhere. Also, there is an untold amount of handloading info to keep stuff under 1,100fps and the firearms are still going to function 100% because they're built for those type of loads. If you have no desire to go suppressed, then this is of no concern to you. If you think super sonic ammo is "quiet enough" then this is of no concern to you either.

The Ruger carbines are UBER and I think they'd sell like crazy if they reintroduced them today. But they're only going up in price so they are what they are and I wouldn't want to alter one from factory form.

The Storms are not extremely common but they are common enough and can be had for a decent price. Threading is about $200 and if you want to SBR it, it's another $200 and you'll have a very compact carbine even with most suppressors attached.

I know the Blackout gets lots of love but I think if I want to sling 200gr bullets at sub-sonic speeds, I'd prefer to shoot a bullet designed to expand at sub-sonic speeds as opposed to something designed to fly from a 300 Win Mag.

Yes, I know about the Leheigh type bullets but at the end of the day you'll be paying a fugk of a lot more for 1,000 of those than you will for 1,000 XTP's. And for the ranges you shoot 200gr sub-sonic stuff you'll not notice a change in POI if you plink with HAP's.

This is why I don't hate them.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't like all that plastic, get a good Colt SAA and an 1873 and call it good.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't like all that plastic, get a good Colt SAA and an 1873 and call it good.

That's what I told shrap.

He won't listen.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Metrosexual. I've got $20 says he's had a Latte with Brad in Bozeman in the last week.

Ever notice in the pics that Shrap is dressed a lot like Paddler?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.