-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ain't been, since they moved it to vegas. no help here.....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My folks have gone a couple times when we had a former horse in the show. Their impression was crowds, lines, and the Rodeo was commercialized from a traditional rodeo.

It's a Vegas trip, take in a show, review the schedule for anybody you want to see perform, and plan it out.

If you plan walking the Strip, it's a decent walk. The Bellagio fountains are pretty neat - especially at night, and the Treasure Island pirate battle is usually crowded.

IMHO, the worst public part of the Strip: you may have to deal with the "poppers" on the sidewalk passing out the coupons and ads for the "more adult" entertainment in Vegas. Generally, a large number of non-English speaking males, with a hand full of cards that they rub the edges of card across their other hand, "popping" the cards as they rush up to your family and try to press the cards into your hands.

The cards get dropped on the sidewalk, and some are pretty graphic. I was stationed close by for a while, the enforcement of the advertising ban/content was on and off at different times. There times when you'd get 20 separate poppers or more approaching you in a block, and times when the streets were pretty clear of them.

I used to like Fremont Street Experience, in the old town historic area of Vegas, you could kinda get the "Rat Pack" feeling of the original Vegas. The light show there is pretty amazing for the family aspect.

Last edited by AH64guy; 10/02/15.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.
Been to Vegas twice now. Last time was nearly 3 years ago on our way to the Grand Canyon. Have seen Cirque de Soliel and Blue Man. Rather avoid the crowds, but that just comes with the territory. The street vendors don't bother me because I treat them like they're invisible.

We have been talking about going to NFR for a couple of years and have decided to pull the plug and go.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lots of great stuff during the finals. The trade shows are awesome. Cowboy Christmas first , the sands second and kind of a toss up after that. Lots of roping demos and dummy contests. You can also watch the rodeo at a lot of hotels on big screens which [imho] is better than the cheap seats at the rodeo.
World Series of team roping takes place at the south point hotel and has several roping so that pay over 100k per man. I am entered in one of those the 9th.
I go to the rodeo almost every year but the crowds can be huge.
If you have anymore questions pm me and I'll give you a call.

Thanks Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Couple of AK boys entering the WS of roping apparently.

We have our tickets for 2 shows.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been a couple times, everyone should go once. The Thomas and Mack is a steep SOB if you are in the cheap seats lol. Like Fred said you can see it better on the big screan at the
South Point. The trade shows are great. Ed

B
B
I've been once a couple of years ago.

Take comfortable walking shoes. I walked from the Convention Center down the strip, through several big hotels all the way to the Mandalay Bay in cowboy boots and trashed my feet.

I hope to be roping in the World Series next year. Good luck to azrancher! (We did some "bidness" on Kifaru a couple of years ago)

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
RMEF elk camp is also going on at that time as well. Plenty of fun stuff to do. Don't forget the free concerts after the rodeo, usually at the mirage where the official NFR after party is. When you get to town, get a hold of the little booklets that have all the special events, concerts, and drink specials listed in them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wife's nephew made the "Finals" this year headin' for Paul Eaves.
We're watchin' from home .......better snacks and the bathroom is always available ......

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Well, crap.

Because of extenuating circumstances and some bad luck, we ain't gonna get to the NFR this year.

Appreciate all the tips and advice and now we're looking at hitting it in 2016.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 13 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,189
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.