Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In case any of you are wondering, or maybe you have a different experience?

I never really expected a simple spring scale to read very well, better then a guess sure, but not dead nuts. Especially not linear across the whole scale. However my opinion is changed now. Seriously changed for good.

I was setting the draw weight of a bow for a fella that I was helping. I happen to have a very accurate digital scale that is flawless as verified by the certified butcher scale where I deal in a meat business. My digital scale is as accurate as the official seal certified meat scale.

While doing this, i happened to notice my boga grip in the boat where it was parked. I grabbed it and thought I would see just how accurate it was. Well...... stunned to say the least. I checked it every two pounds to 30 pounds the greatest error was at 18 lbs which it read 18.2lbs. that is 2/10 of a pound I did not set it for Oz. just tenths.

In most cases the weight was exact, those that were not exact would have the 0.1 digit flickering on and off. Up to 15 it was 100% exactly perfect. At 16 it was 16.1- at 18 it was 18.2, and at 19 it was 19.1 from there it was perfect the rest of the way to 30lbs.

Maybe I got a good one and I'm just lucky. Anyone else check theirs? How close are your Boga grips?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine is very accurate. I guess they're not that expensive for nothing. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Be sure to aways use the lanyard, I'll bet there is more then a few dead fish with a boga grip installed on their lower jaw!

I've had them twisting with big fish on me plenty, almost lost my grip many times. They are perfect only if you have a vise like grip on them. If not, you need a rope around your wrist or connect a float.

Although I doubt the float will handle the boga AND a big fish together.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a float on mine for that very reason. Too expensive to let go bangin a fish on the head at the bottom. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In Florida I know of a number of boga grips that are likely connected to dead fish with a float.

The float is great if the boga is dropped, but with a big fish that twists the grip out of your hand is gone float and all.

You need a wrist strap, preferably thick rope like dock line or a strap 1" wide. The big twisting fish can burn your wrist with thin paracord. Use decent size rope

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is accurate enough. I use a float and I also put my hand through the loop the float is tied on.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JJHACK
In Florida I know of a number of boga grips that are likely connected to dead fish with a float.

You need a wrist strap, preferably thick rope like dock line or a strap 1" wide.

Yep. I've got one on mine. You generally learn these types of lessons the hard way.
I was sitting on the end of a dock inside a large pass where I did a lot of fishing of one type or another in my teens, twenties and early thirties. I had a Penn 60 on a thick rod fishing a pinfish or grunt by the pilings for big snook (You could keep them back them). Had a big shark pick up the bait and was proceeding to spool me, heading under the bridge and out of the pass. He was big and was taking line so fast I decided to thumb the spool to try and slow him down. All that did was melt the skin off the end of my thumb into the line on the spool. I was done fishing that day. smile

Last edited by local_dirt; 11/28/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.