U
yes. let him know it's coming though - they kinda like that wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's perfectly legal for you to ship a gun to an FFL dealer. However, as a matter of store policy, not law, some of them won't accept a gun except from another FFL.

Check first.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Check state and local laws. In some places, only FFLs are allowed to ship guns, or the FFLs are only allowed to receive guns shipped from other FFLs.

I'm not familiar with any FFLs that will complete a transfer without a copy of the ID or FFL of the sending party.

Best thing to do is contact the FFL before you ship and make sure you have all the things they require on their end in place. You might still be subject to laws at your end that they would have no way of knowing about.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Can I ship a gun directly to a FFL dealer? Thank you

Yes, but only an FFL is allowed to ship handguns through the USPS. Non-FFLs must use a common carrier such as UPS or FedEx.

Long guns, use whichever you like.

You should check the FFL EZCheck site to verify the FFL shipping address and whether the FFL is expired. You are only allowed to ship to the address on the FFL.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
Check state and local laws. In some places, only FFLs are allowed to ship guns, or the FFLs are only allowed to receive guns shipped from other FFLs.

I'm not familiar with any FFLs that will complete a transfer without a copy of the ID or FFL of the sending party.

Best thing to do is contact the FFL before you ship and make sure you have all the things they require on their end in place. You might still be subject to laws at your end that they would have no way of knowing about.

Can you list a single state where only FFLs are allowed to ship guns?

Can you list a single state where FFLs may only receive from another FFL?

CA has a goofy deal where FFLs wishing to ship to CA have to register with them... yet nonFFLs may ship to FFLs without registering.

As an FFL well into my 4th decade with an FFL I can assure you any FFL with any sense is perfectly happy to receive a firearm from an individual without a copy of their ID. Their ID would be valueless as it is completely unverifiable by the FFL.

All the law requires is a name and address for the bound book. If the FFL maintains a copy of all the people sending guns he may very well be breaking the law by maintaining a list of potential gun owners outside the bound book.

The standard argument that they are covering themselves is absurd...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by natman
It's perfectly legal for you to ship a gun to an FFL dealer. However, as a matter of store policy, not law, some of them won't accept a gun except from another FFL.

Check first.

And if they won't they should be shunned as a matter of principle...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is an "FFL"? I see the term a lot on here and I know it has to do with shipping firearms.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is an "FFL"? I see the term a lot on here and I know it has to do with shipping firearms.

Federal Firearms License = FFL

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Federal Firearms License = FFL

Thanks.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson

As an FFL well into my 4th decade with an FFL I can assure you any FFL with any sense is perfectly happy to receive a firearm from an individual without a copy of their ID. Their ID would be valueless as it is completely unverifiable by the FFL.

All the law requires is a name and address for the bound book. If the FFL maintains a copy of all the people sending guns he may very well be breaking the law by maintaining a list of potential gun owners outside the bound book.

The standard argument that they are covering themselves is absurd...

THIS.
It's so common around here. Going so far as requiring a two-sided color ID copy prior to giving out their number and then the majority of the dumphhukcs still send a copy of their licence to the non-licensee sender. And they are saying they have to have contact with the sender... I do not currently know any in my area that are not requiring a copy of sender's ID (there are lots more to check). Still looking. All but one I have found, who's 45 minutes away, will also open the package the day they get it and throw away the dammed shipping materials! It's truly different living in the short-bus states.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka Deer. you are SO correct. It pisses me off big time when I get a call from an FFL dealer I have shipped a gun to, with the paid recipients name as part of the return, demanding that I send them a copy of my license. Some have even gone so far as returning the item because of this. I ask them if they get a copy of an FFL from "ABC Gun Wholesaler" with the shipping and they say "no".

Here is a quote from the Regs" notice the use of the word "or".

Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2005

Ruling #478.125E, page 66

The record
shall show the date of receipt, the name
and address or the name and license
number of the person from whom received,
the name of the manufacturer and
importer (if any), the model, serial number...

Last edited by Jkob; 11/19/15.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
Sitka Deer. you are SO correct. It pisses me off big time when I get a call from an FFL dealer I have shipped a gun to, with the paid recipients name as part of the return, demanding that I send them a copy of my license. Some have even gone so far as returning the item because of this. I ask them if they get a copy of an FFL from "ABC Gun Wholesaler" with the shipping and they say "no".

The record shall show the date of receipt, the name and address or the name and license number of the person from whom received, the name of the manufacturer and importer (if any), the model, serial number...

Use of the word "or" duly noted. Since a non-FFL won't have an FFL license number to record, the receiving FFL has to record the sender's name and address. Given that it doesn't seem unreasonable for him to want some proof of what that name and address is, even it it's not 100% verifiable.

Last edited by natman; 11/22/15.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I dont any FFL holders that will accept long guns from a non FFL holder anymore.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jericho
I don't any FFL holders that will accept long guns from a non FFL holder anymore.

You must live in hell. shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

The record shall show the date of receipt, the name and address or the name and license number of the person from whom received, the name of the manufacturer and importer (if any), the model, serial number...

Use of the word "or" duly noted. Since a non-FFL won't have an FFL license number to record, the receiving FFL has to record the sender's name and address. Given that it doesn't seem unreasonable for him to want some proof of what that name and address is, even it it's not 100% verifiable.

DejaVu all over again. The point being, an ID, or a photocopy of an ID is 100% meaningless without the person present. Soooo - the record made from it is too. Could be the reason why it is NOT required. Simple stuff that simpleton FFLs unsimplify. whistle

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Amen.

Why so many can't grasp it is beyond me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Wow, that's a whole bunch of stupid in just a few sentences.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.