Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
After dodging them all year, one finally got me today! Pulled most of it out with the hemostats I use on the dogs, but was wondering if any of those special tools/gizmos work as advertised?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
doesnt really matter, actually about impossible to get all the mouth parts out, just pull the SOB off, keep the site clean and watch for infection.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

Sometimes (not always) touching the rear of the tick with the head of a just-blown-out match with make them back out--but not always.

There was a theory going around years ago that grabbing a tick with tweezers and twisting, rather than pulling, would result in the jaws "unscrewing." A friend wondered whether ticks south of the equator required an opposite twist from northern hemisphere ticks....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep.

Sometimes (not always) touching the rear of the tick with the head of a just-blown-out match with make them back out--but not always.

There was a theory going around years ago that grabbing a tick with tweezers and twisting, rather than pulling, would result in the jaws "unscrewing." A friend wondered whether ticks south of the equator required an opposite twist from northern hemisphere ticks....

They do, in fact. The problem is what to do when you're directly on the equator???

I guess just pull straight and hope. confused

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Westernmassman
After dodging them all year, one finally got me today! Pulled most of it out with the hemostats I use on the dogs, but was wondering if any of those special tools/gizmos work as advertised?

When you're buddy wakes you up in hunting camp because he can feel a tick in his back, a lighter works well to get the tick to back out and burn his back hair.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put a dab of Watkin's Salve on the little bastid and WAIT,...he'll back out looking for air.

In a pinch, #2 diesel works pretty well.

ANY of the basic insecticidal essential oils,...e.g. Rosemary, White Thyme, Cinnamon, Peppermint have and do work well on my dogs, as does Watkins salve and WD40,...They LET go,..and fall off.

Some patience goes long way.

Tick parts remaining in the wound ? ...IODINE, Peroxide, Bleach, Bluestone, Gentian Violet,.....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

Yes, the equator simplifies everything. Just pull straight back and parts from both sides of the tick's "mouth" will remain in the skin, just about equally.

Which is related to the "how do you tell a level-headed Norwegian" joke: The snoose drips equally from both sides of the mouth.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Growing up and working in east Texas and south Texas, our method was a dab of Campho-Phenique. They let go and back out pretty quickly, or they let go and die, then you can pull them out intact.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bruce,

Yes, the equator simplifies everything. Just pull straight back and parts from both sides of the tick's "mouth" will remain in the skin, just about equally.

Which is related to the "how do you tell a level-headed Norwegian" joke: The snoose drips equally from both sides of the mouth.

crazy
I guess I deserved that.

whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 on the Campho-Phenique. They can't seem to back out fast enough. Easiest method I've found.

Last edited by 264mag; 11/16/15.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the input. Going to try that Campho-Phenique as it looks like a long time before snow is coming to blanket my deer hunting area.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Disk grinder. Does not have to be a big one - 4-1/2" with about 80 grit disk will do smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
In my youth I tried rubbing alcohol then did not wait long enough when I tried a match. Took a while for dog to trust me after!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you're from Mass. and it's a deer tick, you better watch out for Lyme Disease or Babesiosis. The rule of thumb isn't to wait for a bruise or ring around the area, but to just take two rounds of Doxycycline on day one, and your good to go. The Lyme test sucks, it takes a long time and is wrong most of the time.

As far as pulling them out, I just pull'em out. They used to say is to flip it over on it's back and push it out.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
Growing up and working in east Texas and south Texas, our method was a dab of Campho-Phenique. They let go and back out pretty quickly, or they let go and die, then you can pull them out intact.

Just read the Watkins Salve label,... Camphor

....betting that Tiger Balm will be in the same league.

We have had a VERY bad year here for those damned things, lotsa' opportunities to try whatever's handy, as it were.

Good thread !

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/17/15.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Would Flexall 454 give a tick a bad feeling?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Flexall (7% menthol) and Maximum Strength Flexall (16% menthol) are unique aloe vera gel formulas with natural oils (eucalyptus, peppermint, thyme) and vitamin E. Maximum Strength Flexall Plus contains three active ingredients (16% menthol, 10% methyl salicylate, 3.1% camphor) in the same vitamin E-enriched aloe vera ..

Hell yes !
...more than willing to bet that it will

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tick key actually works well if the little demons aren't tiny. Follow up with Neosporin.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tick-Key/1406980.uts

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I got a little gizmo called Ticked Off several years ago...worked so well I bought a doze and gave them to guys I hunt with. It's like a little plastic measuring spoon with a narrow "v" slot in the end. Did a little research and a university (in Kentucky, I believe) did a study that found that particular one the most effective tick removal tool of all they studied.

I would echo the recommendations of those who say take some Doxycycline (200 mg) the day you find the tick. FIL got Lyme, nothing to mess with.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just light a butane torch and put the flame on them.They back right up and you kill the germs in one shot.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.