Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ive been wanting a Winchester classic stainless in 375 H&H but they are hard to come by. Wondering if the Montana Extreme Vantage rifle is worthy of buying as an all around rifle and how do they compare to the Winchester? They seem to be about the same price as a Winchester when one can be found. Thoughts?

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I own a Winchester Classic Stainless in 375 H&H but after receiving my 260 Remington from Montana Rifle Company and looking the action over and comparing to the Winchester I would purchase the Montana 1999 in a heartbeat.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thats great to know. Ive got a few options now.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Funny, I found the opposite. A friend is ready to throw his in the lake too.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Funny, I found the opposite. A friend is ready to throw his in the lake too.

The word "too" implies one of the above posters was wanting to throw his Montana in the lake.

If I ended up with one that bad, I'd send it back to the maker or send it down the road.

"In the lake" seems a bit histrionic.

Just saying.

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"Too" implies that he, as well as myself would like to toss our respective rifles in the lake. "The lake" being the lake that borders my private shooting range.

Returning it to the manufacturer is a drawn out process involving import and export permits both ways, which usually means paying a broker who specializes in such things. Re-barrelling is cheaper.

Sending it down the road can involve screwing over the next guy. That's not something I care to do, and full disclosure on a POS makes for a hard sale.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 09/21/15.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
OK.

Hadn't notice you were in Sas...

Beautiful country.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never actually seen or handled a Montana rifle, so take this for what it is worth.

Some rave about them. I'm sure that they can be fine. However, it is my understanding that the actions are cast, using the lost wax method. Aside from the claimed strength of forged steel actions and unlikelihood of flaws that might exist in a casting, about which some gunmakers are vehement, equivalent strength would have to come from bulkier actions using more steel. I would guess that the added weight (or less strength, if the same size) would be a disadvantage.

I have several Model 70s made in different eras. They all balance beautifully in my hands, even the heavy post-64 push feed .458 Win Mag, compared to most other bolt actions I know or own. I am very sold on them.

I realize that Montana says its CRF bolt action design adds a couple of improvements. However, unlike one major competitor, I have never heard of any Winchester products having safety-related design flaws. For me, they are the best. And most of them are quite beautiful, even the simple standard 70s with plain wood.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It is my understanding that Pine Tree Castings (Ruger) casts MRC actions. I'm sure MRC takes it from there with final machining, fitting, etc. No one questions the strength and quality of Ruger firearms.

And MRC adds a gas blocking device in the left raceway, addressing an issue occasionally raised with the M-70 design.

I don't own a MRC rifle, have never shot one. I'd for sure take a Pre-64 over an MRC, if given the choice... smile

Would probably take a CRF M-70 with New Haven trigger over a MRC.

DF

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have an MRC in .375, built by Hill Country Rifles. It's an excellent rifle so far. Probably helps that Hill Country finished and tuned it.
Bob

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 585 Hubel Express on a Montana PH action. It is a very early action based on the serial number. The action internals are pretty rough, my gunsmith smoothed it out a bit when he crowned the barrel. It was a bit sticky at first too but with some use and a little oil it has become quite smooth. I have no doubts about its strength. Newer Montanas look to be a little more refined than mine was.

Last edited by TwoSixtyFourWins; 09/22/15.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
Theodore Roosevelt
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Finally bought a model 70 classic stainless without paying arm and leg. Guess montana is out for me now

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Phoneman
Finally bought a model 70 classic stainless without paying arm and leg. Guess montana is out for me now

Sounds good. New Haven or South Carolina?

DF

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
New haven made in 1998. Now to get it cut down

Last edited by Phoneman; 09/25/15.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My buddy had his left hand 458 Lott built on a MRC action. The smith cleaned it up a little bit but now that its done its a great looking and handling rifle. There aren’t a lot of left hand options out there and the MRC fills that void.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Model70Guy,

What issues are you and your friend having with Montana rifles?

I'm asking because while I haven't had any problems with Montana actions, their barrels seem to vary in quality.

Should probably also add as a general comment on the thread that the original CRF Montana actions were rather rough. This wasn't due to shoddy work, but because the actions were specifically intended for professional gunsmiths who would finish them, and adjust the feeding for whatever cartridge the rifle was chambered for. As a result of not trying to smooth the finish (which most custom riflesmiths do anyway), the cost was considerably less than some other actions.

However, many shooters didn't understand this, so bought Montana CRF actions and had them barreled without any smoothing or feeding work, then bitched because the action was "inferior."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.