Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
the 32 only weighs about 4.5 pounds, but you need a freaking lever to start the bullet....

Mmmmhhhhmmmm....

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
BP-B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well I stopped by to look at the Pedersoli again, (tapered barrel, by the way) and the 45 cal underhammer followed me home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
well I stopped by to look at the Pedersoli again, (tapered barrel, by the way) and the 45 cal underhammer followed me home.

You have done well, old (and short) one....

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
why do they make underhammer thingies? seems upside down smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
why do they make underhammer thingies? seems upside down smile

They make them upside down so they burn holes in your shirt sleeves.

Kurt

IC B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
heathens

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno about the light weight field grade underhammer guns, but the large bore bench guns from back in the day trended toward underhammer and side hammer locks because the conventional back action or side action cap lock had difficulty digesting 200-250 grains of powder in a genteel fashion. Guessing it had something to do with male vanity and not wanting a random BP tattoo on the face?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
heathens

Indeed.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE

MOST Sharps rifles had a "tapered" barrel.

The Pedersoli "Silhouette" should sport a barrel just a whisker SCANT of the standard "#1 Heavy" profile.

Gotta agree with Ranch,....that would be a VERY reasonable buy at $800.
Properly tuned and run in,....AND with real sights, it will shoot right in there with any and all the rest.

Alla' this predicated on the thing being from that "Pedersoli Challenge"
era,....the quality really went (back) in the toilet after Dick Trenk's untimely passing.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by RWE
heathens

Indeed.

[Linked Image]

C'mon, man re-tell that Large vent / burnt trousers yarn !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just spent awhile in fruitless search of the original article to no avail.

The essence of the tale, or is it tail??? is that Lester Cox, if memory serves, was working with an old slug gun at a range one day and among other things had relieved the dimension of the orifice for the clean out screw. Apparently he had neglected to replace the screw after servicing the gun as well.

Anyone that has ever been around those old cannons will tell you they do everything in a big way, as in BIG bullets driven by staggering amounts of black powder. For example, the H.V. Perry gun pictured above is of .56 caliber and uses a two piece swagged bullet of 1300 grains over about 250 grains of BP. They make thunder...

Anyway, ol' Lester touched off his next shot as the fellow at the adjacent bench was bent over his own rifle and pointing his butt at Lester. The boom was accompanied by a rather copious venting of fire out the right side which conveniently enough was aligned with the poor old fella's left cheek. Burned a hole right thru his overalls and provided a profound motivational lesson right there on the spot. He jumped, screeched, ran around in circles trying to put the smouldering embers out on his backside, and well, I'm not clear at this time exactly how it all ended other than the fact the gun was christened with a new name. It was thereafter known as "Old Butt Burner".

I am..........disturbed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
395 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 38 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.