Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am looking to hunt Montana for the final two weeks of November 2016. The timeline is fixed and cannot be moved, which does pose some challenges.

I'll be hunting solo (almost certainly), have a 4 x 4 (Nissan Xterra), am very fit with a lot of backcountry experience (climbing, skiing, backpacking, etc.). I would like a "wilderness" setting if possible, but will settle for not having an orange vest behind every tree. I have no specific trophy expectations, but would prefer a reasonable chance to harvest an average mature animal. I'm willing to work very hard and backpack in if needed - I have full winter gear.

The two options I have been researching are hunting elk in the western part of the state and hunting mule deer in the eastern part of the state. Whitetail deer could be in the mix, but I can hunt them at home.

I have invested a tonne of time researching - I would like to hear from Montana residents (or hunters who have been to Montana many times).

In my shoes, what would you do?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Last edited by micro240; 11/17/15.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you are looking for a wilderness hunt, go to one of the wilderness areas, the Bob Marshall or the Beartooth Absaroka. I've never hunted the Bob, but have shot both deer and elk in the Beartooth Absaroka. No wheeled conveyances allowed; on foot or horseback. Don't go alone if you are going for an extended period of time as it can be steep, rough country.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006
If you are looking for a wilderness hunt, go to one of the wilderness areas, the Bob Marshall or the Beartooth Absaroka. I've never hunted the Bob, but have shot both deer and elk in the Beartooth Absaroka. No wheeled conveyances allowed; on foot or horseback. Don't go alone if you are going for an extended period of time as it can be steep, rough country.

Last 2 weeks of November would make it damn tough to hunt the wilderness areas like the Bob or Beartooth.

You might want to consider the Breaks. You can sure get out there and away from people if you're willing to hike.

Last edited by Tarkio; 11/17/15.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Breaks can offer some phenomenal mule deer hunting and about as wilderness as it gets without heading to the real high country.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006

Last 2 weeks of November would make it damn tough to hunt the wilderness areas like the Bob or Beartooth.

You might want to consider the Breaks. You can sure get out there and away from people if you're willing to hike.

very true and numbers are starting to get good again. by next year we will be 5 years out from the winter that killed so many so horns will be getting decent. seeing mostly 3's and 4's around and not alot of mass... though in the last week i have cut the tracks of two different bucks that must be big bodied old bastards, no clue on the actual age or head gear but they have to be ones that survived the 10/11 winter....

the winter of 2010/2011 our record for snow fall changed from 3 foot to 9 foot out here on the east end of the Breaks......was real rough on critters, especially speed goats though i was surprised how many of them I saw the last few weekends, the ones that survived must be having twins pretty regular.

Last edited by rattler; 11/17/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't do it. Go to Colorado or Wyoming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are truly coming here for two weeks I would do both. First, I recommend you head to eastern Montana to chase your deer. You will have a higher chance of success. Get your dear and then head to elk country. If you are planning to hunt the two aforementioned wilderness areas solo, I highly recommend you have a "contact plan". By that I mean, have it prearranged that you will contact someone at specific times with updates of your well-being. Both the AB and the Bob are unforgiving, especially this time of year. I'm not by any means trying to dissuade you from doing so. I've been there, done that, and it is fun. Just plan accordingly.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 11/17/15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.