Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Damn, I hate to ask. I figure this'll end up being a pizzin' match, a schidt storm, or both.

Be that as it may, I'm strangely feeling the urge to acquire another AR. I bought the last one 'cause it seemed like it was goin' too cheap. Concurrently, those jerk-offs were shooting up DC with a Bushmaster, and it seemed like the platform might not always be available to me. I hunted it a bit, but never really cared for it, & traded it off to a buddy.

My home defense revolves around an 870 and a .45. I can see where a bit more reach and magazine capacity could be assets. Hence, the thoughts about getting an AR.

I assume everyone has their favorites, so maybe there'd be greater consensus if I were to ask what to avoid. Are there any "Highpoint" or "Remington 710" offerings that I should stay the hell away from?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
ARIC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can press the "easy" button and get a Colt, or you can press the "expensive" button and pay up for a Daniel Defense, LaRue, whatever $1500+ AR.

Unless you know what you are looking at, everything else is pretty much a crap shoot for the uninformed.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It depends on what your requirements are for one. If you just want something that will go bang every time and not give much problem, you probably have as good of a chance with the typical brands as any other. Those would be DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt, Ruger and lots of others.

Colt will maintain it's value better than most, but some of the others offer models that are half the cost, or nearly so. If you want a free float barrel or some other features, the price also goes up. If accuracy is an issue, then that costs more too, or you might get lucky.

I believe the best thing you can do is make a list of what you want in an AR and then go shop the websites to see what is available at what price and go from there. I believe there are more good guns out there than bad.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Get a BCM and call it a day.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Colt.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you don't mind spending a couple bucks over the usual suspects, this wouldn't be a bad option:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-s...-15-complete-rifle-chambered-5-56-a.html

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
It depends on what your requirements are for one. If you just want something that will go bang every time and not give much problem, you probably have as good of a chance with the typical brands as any other. Those would be DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt, Ruger and lots of others.

Colt will maintain it's value better than most, but some of the others offer models that are half the cost, or nearly so. If you want a free float barrel or some other features, the price also goes up. If accuracy is an issue, then that costs more too, or you might get lucky.

I believe the best thing you can do is make a list of what you want in an AR and then go shop the websites to see what is available at what price and go from there. I believe there are more good guns out there than bad.

This covers it for me pretty much.

Most any of them work fine, most any of them are capable of 1 to 1.5 MOA with the right ammo.

Most triggers will suck unless they are upgrades.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
What to look for in an AR?

If you just want a decently built & reliable gun with reasonable accuracy, it's hard to beat a Colt 6920, Stag Model 1 or 2 (1 has a carry handle, 2 does not) or a Sig 400, IMO.

All will have a decent level of resale value.

If you want more, or something more specialized (like a 3G gun) or a stainless barrel, then the only limit is the depth of your pockets.

MM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy an Anderson Arms lower receiver from your local dealer for $50, then get the rest of the stuff from Palmetto State Armory when they have their Black Friday sale. Put it together yourself.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by viking
Colt.

Amen

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to hate AR's actually. the problem for me was a couple things first is nearly all the stocks feel like they are made for a midget, The other big thing somewhat unique to me is I like my optics mounted a tad higher than most people. So with an AR until the last 5 or 6 years there wasn't as many optics mounting options as there is now. So I use a longer stock like the RRA operator, and a scope mount that is a tad higher than most. With that the gun fits me now. before it felt awkward. maybe its a simple as finding the right fit for you.

The best turn key gun out there IMO is a RRA for a typical guy, a colt is a basic gun that is overpriced for what you get. There is so many great AR's now days that work. it wasn't always that way though. but times have changed. often a guy can through parts from alot of different manufacturers in a gun and it will run just fine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 5 AR,s ruger,colt le6920,rock river,smith& wesson and windham weaponry.My favorite is the colt,rock river is next in line.I am not a expert on AR,s but these work for me..

Last edited by coobie; 11/18/15.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have my fair share of ARs 3 colt's Daniel defense and custom built AR's my favorite is the custom's but factory AR it is hand's down the Daniel defense. Good luck in the decision.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Buy an Anderson Arms lower receiver from your local dealer for $50, then get the rest of the stuff from Palmetto State Armory when they have their Black Friday sale. Put it together yourself.

Any guesses how low they'll go?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by viking
Colt.

Amen

Especially if you want to resell it. Other than that you are paying for the name. A gun that works very very well, is sub par accurate and one of the worst triggers I've ever had.

As others note its all in what you want.

I don't ever sell guns. So resell is the last thing in my mind.

of course some around here complain about new ropes and savages.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Colt

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Any guesses how low they'll go?

Not a clue.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For home defense a Colt 6920 was my pick. I pulled the 16" barrel and put a Colt factory 14.5" in it's place.

I would avoid BCM like they carried the plague.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The BCM carbines are overpriced that is for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
For home defense a Colt 6920 was my pick. I pulled the 16" barrel and put a Colt factory 14.5" in it's place.

I would avoid BCM like they carried the plague.

Why avoid BCM?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
759 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 83 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.