Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10711594 11/18/15
I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Just picked up an ithaca model-37 featherlight in 20ga. It has a full choke and was made in 1972 according to the serial number. It has been fired but is in almost new condition. I always wanted a 20ga and always liked the ithaca with their bottom ejection. About how much are these worth. I paid $300. I hope I did no over pay. Was the quality of these guns considered good at the time it was made?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You did well. Wonderful gun. You also deserve credit for being one of the minority who can spell Ithaca.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In nearly new condition, I think you made a good deal. They are well-made and a joy to carry in the field. The barrel metal is typically too thin to have regular screw-in chokes installed but a choke maker like Colonial Arms may be able to install their thin-wall choke system if the full choke doesn't work for your hunting needs.

I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
It came with a full choke barrel and I will probably leave it as is. I have a rem 870 with several barrels and screw in chokes so no need to mess with things. Thank you both for the info.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A great solution when a full choke is not required such as bird hunting. These work very well for me: http://polywad.com/spredr-shells.html

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
First year production 37R, metal was as you see it, wood was rough. I paid $225, refinished the wood, recut the checkering, added the pad.

It came with a Deluxe Poly-Choke, vintage for the times.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Great job redoing the wood. It really came out nice

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In even just good condition you did well in near new you did excellent IMHO You bought a fine gun for the cost of a new Mossberg or 870 express. Before I get flamed I have had Mossbergs and currently have a express. They are good guns but not in the class of a m37.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was chastised on Shotgunworld, Ithaca Forum, for changing the shape of a pre-war stock. I did reshape the comb a bit.

My reply was, gimme a break, I have $225 in the gun. If it had been a "valuable" gun, I could sympathize with your position.

This guy had been hunting for a vintage pre-war 20 ga. stock, and here was one refinished and altered from original by me. I guess I understood his angst.

DF

I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
The important thing is that the gun is the way YOU like it and that is all that matters.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
You will love this shotgun. I bet you buy another one too.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
IMR

thats a terrific price on an almost new 20g Iffica. Congrats.

I hope you enjoy it.

Be aware the Iffica has a big drop to comb, 1 1/2" if I remember correctly from measuring my two.

Sometimes that makes it fit better to shoot but sometimes not.. So dont panic if your accuracy changes. It may just be a fit issue from maker to maker and comb drop.

I dont shoot my Winchesters or Remingtons as well as I shoot steep comb drop shotguns like my Ifficas, i never gave it much thot, until I bought one and shot it.

I love them.

Enjoy.

Last edited by WillARights; 11/18/15.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
When I first saw that Ithaca I thought the stock looked a little different. I actually thought it was too short. But like any long gun I always shoulder it before I buy. Although I have not fired it yet it felt really good on my shoulder. My eyes lined up perfectly with both beads. Just nead to get some live rounds as I do not have any 20 gauge on hand.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There are other good bird guns, but none better. You did very well in buying a high-quality gun that fits you, it's a bargain at twice the price.

Dirtfarmer, altering a stock just makes you a shotgunner. Collectors may like them virgin, but a shotgunner adjusts stocks like riflemen adjust sights, and for the same reason.

Last edited by Hogeye; 11/19/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Dirtfarmer, altering a stock just makes you a shotgunner. Collectors may like them virgin, but a shotgunner adjusts stocks like riflemen adjust sights, and for the same reason.

Great point and so true.

I even changed the angle of the pad, thinking the Ithaca factory toe in wasn't right for me. I really like my Browning Superlight bird gun, so now this Ithaca has an identical butt plate/recoil pad angle.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Love my 2 Ithaca's. You didn't get hurt on the price.

Paid $150 for this 20 guage from early 50's, wood had a slip on recoil pad that made the finish completely dark under it, the other wood was bleached out, so I refinished and added a recoil pad. Have killed a lot of doves with it, and a handful of pheasants and even quail. It too has a full choke, but it seems to hit where I point, so I've left it alone. Have thought about sending to Les Hovencamp and having an improved cylder barrel fitted to it, but have a hard time spending more on a barrel than I did on the gun.
[Linked Image]

My 16 guage, modified choke-
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful, Cheesy.

Real nice.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The affection Ithaca owners have for their guns is legendary. And, for good reason.

Has anyone handled the new Ohio M-37's? They seem pretty nice, although pricey compared to the older ones.

With so many used M-37's on the market, it seem to me the new ones, costing several times the price of a used one, may be slow sellers. Or, those may cause the price of used ones to rise.

DF

I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I have not handled any of the new M-37s although I always see lots of used one's around. And like you say you can find nice used one's at a much lower price than the new production one's. Mine seems really nice so no need to pay a lot more and besides I have always loved old hunting guns with a story behind them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They make a 28ga on a small 28ga frame. Something not available in the originals and a really nice carry. Have used it on both Grouse and Pheasants. Glad they are still around when it comes to parts and service.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (257Bob, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.