-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wife texted me yesterday to say she booked a week in Cancun for the family at an all inclusive. My son and I have a tradition of trying to fish for new species on every vacation (sturgeon, smallmouth, Chinook, coho, sockeye, etc.) so we are eager to try some fishing down there. My son doesn't fly fish, but is very accomplished with light tackle. I'm thinking a light tackle/fly combo would be good as it's a smaller boat so just the two of us, and the price seems more reasonable for a full day.

I would love to hear from anyone that has done it. Is there a charter you would recommend? Anything to avoid? Would you do deep sea instead? Any and all opinions and experiences welcome here. Thanks.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's too early for off shore(which really isn't off shore as the fishing is done fairly close off drop offs) That season is best Mid to end of April thru May as sails are migrating thru at that time.

Hit it right and it's a bargain,hit it wrong and it's a boat ride

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sounds like fly/light tackle would be a better choice then. Any suggestions on an outfit?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No fly/ light weight ain't my gig

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mark, I've fished the Yucatan a lot. My first advice would have been to get off the plane in Cancun and head south and stay somewhere there. Cancun is more like Miami Beach than MX. That said, there are "deep sea" charters that run out of Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. It is more like what Dan said than deep sea. You're fishing the drops and where currents meet. Caught a huge sailfish that way one year. These days, I prefer DIY wadefishing in Sian Kaan. It's a hike from Cancun, but I usually stay in Tulum. No high rise resorts there.

If you decide to go deep sea charter out of Cancun, there are American boats that fish for sails later in the spring as Dan said. They'll fish the inside and outside of Isla Mujeres, an island off the coast of Cancun. The ones in Playa will run down through the channel between Cozumel and the mainland, then down the coast to around Tulum, then turn and troll back.

Years ago, a Mexican friend of mine and I night fished for snook right in the surf off the north tip of Cancun. The resorts now restrict that, saying it isn't "safe". Buschit. Just like here, fish run the swash channel near shore. Every week you'll see or hear of some tourist catching a snook, jack crevalle or tarpon fishing from the beach early morning or early evening.

PS- I've always used light spinning tackle inshore, lately 14-17 lb test braid with fluorocarbon leader. Favorite lures are Capt Hank Brown jigs, Mirrolures. Caught a huge jack one year off the rock jetty on the north tip of Cancun on a Bomber Long A.

Good luck!

Last edited by local_dirt; 11/28/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've not fished in Mexico but have seen barracuda and bonefish in pretty shallow water while walking the beaches south of Playa de Carmen. Lots of pangas to rent for about 50 an hour if you want to go fishing with one of the locals. (mostly reef fish in our winter months, later spring for billfish)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a great suggestion by patbrennan. I've done this and it's a great experience fishing with the locals. Akumal is a good place to give this a shot. As you get farther south from Cancun, the barrier reef becomes closer. The biggest permit I've ever seen was on a patchy reef south of the Puerto Aventuras resorts.

FYI, the Mayans used to mark the breaks in the barrier reef with torches from shore to aid friendlies coming back in at night.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the advice folks. I realize that the timing and location isn't ideal, but it's a family vacation that I am trying to sneak a fishing day into. If it was a fishing vacation things would have been different.

Since I'll be taking my 12 year old son with me I'm thinking the inshore trip might be better. Just the two of us and (hopefully) numbers of fish more than size. He's tall for his age, but I can't see him being able to reel in a big sailfish without help.

Thinking it's probably best to book off the resort once we get there correct?

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No. Not necessarily. Resorts hit you with a surcharge. Start asking other guests as soon as you get on property. Some will be at the end of their stay and may have already fished. You may also hook up with someone who is also just starting their vacation and also want to book a trip or may have info.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
SamSteele,
There is a large lagoon directly across from the hotel district that is a National Park; all catch and release. You can be in the water in 15 minutes. Very few people fish it. Depending on the season; there are opportunities for bonefish, permit, tarpon, barracuda and other species on light tackle. I went out with a guide in a typical high quality flats boat. His name was Rodman, but it's been a few years and not sure if he is still there. Prices are very reasonable.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

593 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,539
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.