Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Thanks Dave,

Going to have to give the bobbers a try this winter.

Does it work in "the open", or only in the heated enclosures ?

Typically, we sit in a heated ice hut, eating & drinking & the holes are drilled outside in an appropriate sized area for the amount of fisherpersons. Once somebody sees a flag drop, or rod go down, then it's much like a football game to see who can get there first.

grin

Hey there 99, I don't think I answered your question. Just saw it now.

Yes, slip bobbers work out in the open but any outside fishing needs constant effort in clearing ice out of the fishing hole and melting ice off the line.

The old Thill style slip bobber are my fav because they are so classy (as far as a fishing bobber goes). But they require extra effort when outside fishing because the fishing line threads all the way through the bobber from top to bottom. a little ice bead will form at the top of the bobber and through it's center which can freeze your line inside the bobber. When this happens, you no longer have a slip bobber, it's locked onto the line. then it becomes a hand over hand line because you cant reel it in once the bobber hits the first eyelet on the fishing rod.

another kind of slip bobber that works better than others outside fishing is one like this:

[Linked Image]

See, that's a clip on style, it just glides and slides on the line. You keep your bobber stop above the bobber at the depth you wish to fish. These are made of open cell foam that is inserted into a little plastic clip end. They really are nice because you can trim the foam float length with a pocket knife or even just pinch it off with your fingers. I like to do that so I have a float that barely floats my jig and bait. the fish feel way less resistance that way when they bite.

The reason these work nice outside is because the slip slot stays under water while you fish, this greatly reduces line freeze to the float. also when ice does build up on the float itself you just give it a squeeze with your fingers and the ice crumbles off because the float is soft.

Yes that is a weeny dog wearing an orange cape. Don't try to pretend you've never seen this sort of thing before.

grin

Something clever here.

GB2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

Nice fish -- with a little ham on the left! wink

John

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Went with some guys in Colorado once that did it right. Wait till April, sunny day in the 40's or warmer, pull the keg out with you on a toboggan, pack plenty of sunscreen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just broke out my auger for the first time in 5 years since I moved out here. I sure miss me some ice fishing! we've had a cold enough winter that we actually have 6" of ice from the reports I've heard. I plan on going out a day here this weekend and see about getting me some crappies through the ice. I made the mistake of giving away all my short rods when I figured I wasn't going to get on hard water ever again. So last weekend I swung through Scheels and picked up 4 new rods (13.99 each) they came with reels and everything! couple cheap rattle reels that clip to a bucket and I was set. I made me some "airplane" tipups with the kids a cold day a week or so back so when I bring the family out we all can fish. out here we can use 4 lines a piece and I figure on doing just that!

I had much work to do on the auger from rebuilding the rewind to retapping a bolt hole that got buggered years ago and replacing with the correct bolt and put new gas in. Just when I thought I had it perfect I pulled and pulled and nothing was happening. I checked the fuel line, it was good. So I pulled some more, choked it, then moved it to half way after a few pulls and nothing. I was getting frustrated thinking the spark plug was bad until I looked at the on off switch and somehow I must have flipped it off. I put it back to on and with one pull she sprang to life. I gave her a little reving and she was humming along like a tune. I threw the auger bottom back on it and watched it spin a few times to make sure all was well. now I just need to break away from work long enough to get out on the ice. anyone have any tips for fishing small deep water reservoirs for crappies?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheers Dave,

All understood.

Even the daushing Einer !

You guys got any decent ice yet ?

Ours sucks baboon a$$ & don't get me stated on the slush, on top !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck Ryan !

Hope you have a ball, with the family.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Paul, Our ice is coming along ok now, about a month or at least 3 weeks behind normal schedule but it's getting decent now.

If we can make it through the rest of this week without snowfall, we will be set as we are supposed to go sub zero for temps starting Saturday.

Good luck Ryan!

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh thats a dog! I though it was a slip bobber for BIG fish laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
he's a service dog, trained to bite all fish that come up through those holes in the floor.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice! If you could just get him to unhook eelpout!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6" on the trout pond just outside of town. they call it a "reservoir" but the name seems overkill to a 38 acre pond, even if it does get to 50' deep.

didn't catch a thing but I did get to teach my boy about Ice conditions and how to check it safely starting at shore. drilling holes, skimming, setting up a portable and he showed me what happens to the lantern when you just drop it next to the truck and it tips over. the trip only cost us 1/8th of a tank of fuel, 2 mantles and a globe. smile

he loved it even though we didn't get a nibble

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fishing with son, priceless!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bucket list. Dave, the third pic down is priceless. I would love to get into those perch.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.