Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Originally Posted by TC1
For home defense a Colt 6920 was my pick. I pulled the 16" barrel and put a Colt factory 14.5" in it's place.

I would avoid BCM like they carried the plague.

Why avoid BCM?

From personal experience. They don't stand behind what they sell. Years ago I listened to all the BCM fan boys on another site and bought one of their SPR uppers. The damn thing consistently shot 4" groups at 100yds. I called, nobody answers. The recording says they are too busy to talk to people on the phone and to leave a message and they would get back to me when it's convenient for THEM. I do this 4 times over the coarse of a week and NEVER get a return phone call. After that I figure maybe it's best to email. I had done this before and knew they had no trouble returning emails when I wanted TO BUY SOMETHING. 6 emails later and I hear nothing but crickets.

In the emails I explained my problems with the upper. I told them about trying many different load combo's using my reloads and factory ammo in many different bullet weights and powder combo's to give it a fair chance of finding something it liked. I told them I had run over 400 rounds down the barrel to make sure it was broke in before I contacted them.

A few more emails to BCM later, I finally get a response that went something like this: Sorry to hear that, we suggest you keep shooting it and maybe it'll get better. Most of our customers report MOA accuracy with that upper.

$1300 for a "precision" upper with AK-47 accuracy and no support other than encouraging words. No thanks.

This has been probably 5-6 years ago and maybe things have changed but I wouldn't chance it.

ARIC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's what I thought. I knew you had a bad experience with a barrel or something but couldn't remember exactly. I've had good luck with BCM, accurate and reliable had been my experience. I've never had to send something back though.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had LWRC and currently have a Daniel Defense, but been contemplating a "cheap" AR15 as a permanent fixture in my truck.

Hows the does the S&W M&P15 Sport compare/rate against the Colt LE6920?

The M&P15 can be had for well under 600.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1

$1300 for a "precision" upper with AK-47 accuracy and no support other than encouraging words. No thanks.

lots of good uppers for that price or less, & you'll get a target with 3 shots under an inch as well...........not the end all, do all, but more than good enough to satisfy most.

Might not do 10 under an inch though..........just sayin' wink

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Unless you're wanting a target gun, Colt 6920's can be had for $799 brand new (I just found 3 for a buddy with Magpul furniture on it 60 miles away). Deals are out there.

At that price, nothing else is going to be cheap enough to even be close in reliability, quality and value.

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I expected a lot more than what I got.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Unless you're wanting a target gun, Colt 6920's can be had for $799 brand new (I just found 3 for a buddy with Magpul furniture on it 60 miles away). Deals are out there.

At that price, nothing else is going to be cheap enough to even be close in reliability, quality and value.

You said a mouthful there. I bought mine back when they were $1000. Great rifle even at that price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You had a right to expect more for that price.................

They should have taken it back, no questions asked, IMO.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR

I found the LE6920 for $760 brand new with Magpul (MOE) Gen 2 furniture, but dipped in Kryptek Highlander camo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I've had LWRC and currently have a Daniel Defense, but been contemplating a "cheap" AR15 as a permanent fixture in my truck.

Hows the does the S&W M&P15 Sport compare/rate against the Colt LE6920?

The M&P15 can be had for well under 600.

Have seen 3 S/W locally. Other than replace triggers have never seen them have any issues whatsoever.

Fairly accurate too. More so than the Colts of old. But I have not paid for a Colt in close to 20 years

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My S&W actually has a fairly decent trigger. But I digress as I'm an AR novice.

I did put a heavy buffer and spring in it per Blue's recommendation. Apparently a little 'over' gased. It did help. Not that it didn't function before, it did, but it felt like it was really slamming harder than it needed to.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Who has the $799 colts? Is that a shipped price?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My S&W actually has a fairly decent trigger. But I digress as I'm an AR novice.

I did put a heavy buffer and spring in it per Blue's recommendation. Apparently a little 'over' gased. It did help. Not that it didn't function before, it did, but it felt like it was really slamming harder than it needed to.

They may have picked up their game some and that would be nice to hear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp

A store south of me and that was the walk out price. They also had the kryptec camo dip. I have been holding out for a 6720 but may pick up a 6920 even though I don't need another, they are too cheap to ignore.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Buy an Anderson Arms lower receiver from your local dealer for $50, then get the rest of the stuff from Palmetto State Armory when they have their Black Friday sale. Put it together yourself.

Any guesses how low they'll go?

They were 34.99 last week.
I'm thinking everybody ramped up production and never stopped. Now everybody has inventory up the ass. Plenty of $1200 never fired Bushmasters for sale from the fools that bought during the panic. Now is one of the better times to buy before the Mooselems attack.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by jimmyp

A store south of me and that was the walk out price. They also had the kryptec camo dip. I have been holding out for a 6720 but may pick up a 6920 even though I don't need another, they are too cheap to ignore.

I haven't been ignoring them. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meh, got the Kryptek Highlander LE6920. Going to toss on a SWFA SS 1-4x24mm Illuminati and rock it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You will be just fine and if the colt barrel sucks for accuracy you are +/- 200 bucks from a new one anyway.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Without going into a long dissertation, I would suggest one of two brands:

FN or Colt Defense. Both have a very extensive history in making very high quality guns for the military.

In Colt I would suggest either the 6920 or 6720. The only difference is the barrel profile. The 6920 has an M4 type profiled barrel. The 6720 has a "pencil" type profile and is quite light.

Yank the trigger out, and place it in a ziplock bag, as a spare. Drop in a Geissele trigger.

Top with optic of your choice, either a low powered variable or an RDO (red dot optic) Aimpoint is the standard by which all other RDOs are judged.

Add a white light.

Finally get a good quality sling. I prefer 2 point adjustable slings like the VTAC. A VCAS, or BFG 2 point sling will work too.

Stay away from single point slings unless you like getting racked in the balls during transition drills, and or like a rifle that flops all over the place when both hands are busy with another task.

In summary:

Colt or FN
Geissele trigger
Aimpoint
white light of choice
2 point sling.

DONE.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a Windham VEX-SS AND A ArmaLite M 15A4B both have Timney triggers and a Bushmaster it is my play gun the other 2 are long range shooters.All 3 are scopes.

Loves gun and reloading casting my own bullets
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
419 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.