Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
For weeklong hunts in the back country, what is everyone running for a light yet workable high quality spotter these days?

Nikon ED? Swaro?

I've got a couple of spotters neither I want to carry again backpack hunting.

Thanks for the thoughts.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Vortex Razor 50mm.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won't even bother with scopes under 60mm any more.

Tanner

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Tanner
I won't even bother with scopes under 60mm any more.

Tanner

I agree. I sold my Nikon 50ED.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spotters can save you a lot of walking... Nothing under 60mm here as well.

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by starsky

That's the camp I am in too. Just wondering how folks are going at it these days....

- Greg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use my 85mm 4+ pound scope for all my hunts that require a spotting scope. 1-2 extra pounds in spotting scope saves me a LOT of walking......granted sometimes it causes a LOT of walking too cause I see a bruiser of an animal way further away than I would have with a 50mm spotter. wink But nice to have options. Would like to pick up a Vortex 65mm for some hunts when the 85mm 20-75X Zeiss isn't required but still would like to get a good look at things.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Minox 62mm currently, and I am happy with it.

I used to have a Leupold 25x50 that came in handy as it was light and easy to carry, but I like having more x's with the Minox.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by starsky

That's the camp I am in too. Just wondering how folks are going at it these days....

12-40x60mm HD Leupold is what I'm using.

IC B3

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
From Tanner...grin...

- Greg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swaro 65 if I feel I need a spotter...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Zeiss 65 15-45

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
15 X binos ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Talus,

Just curious, but how far out can you judge antlers with 15x binos? I'd LOVE to not have to pack a spotter and binos, but with 10x I can't see G1s past about 350yds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah. About perfect for Colorado hunting IMO.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm really liking the Vortex 65mm that I picked up earlier this year.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I use my 85mm 4+ pound scope for all my hunts that require a spotting scope. 1-2 extra pounds in spotting scope saves me a LOT of walking......granted sometimes it causes a LOT of walking too cause I see a bruiser of an animal way further away than I would have with a 50mm spotter. wink But nice to have options. Would like to pick up a Vortex 65mm for some hunts when the 85mm 20-75X Zeiss isn't required but still would like to get a good look at things.

Luke-Get a Diascope 65mm FL and use the eye piece between your spotters.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The 50mm's are sure nice when it comes to weight and bulk. Because most 50mm's eyepieces are limited to around 30x, resolution isn't bad at those powers. It's under poorish light they really fall down.

The 60-66mm class practically double the weight and take up a lot more room in the pack. I've yet to see a spotter in this class where resolution doesn't begin to quickly fall off above 45x (although that's the top range for most of them). Including the Swaro and Leica 65mm's.
But they do much better in varying light conditions, and the higher magnification definitely helps.

It's important to note, atmospheric conditions--heat waves, mist/drizzle, failing light, windy conditions that make it difficult to hold the spotter steady, often means you're turning the magnification down anyway.

77-95mm class are ridiculously heavy, big, and....expensive. I've seen too many clients practically have heart attacks at altitude with overloaded daypacks--then again, half of the "daypacks" that have become popular are big enough to camp out for 3-4 days....

Keep in mind, most of the low and mid priced spotters can show a lot of variability in optical quality from one unit to the next.

The (top end) "name" brands like Nikon, Swaro, Leica and Zeiss don't show nearly as much variability in my experience. Plus I have a lot more confidence in their quality of build after seeing the rate at which low and mid priced optics break........

In the 50mm:
Both examples of the Opticron MM3 were the best I looked through--and I did get to compare one to the latest 50mm Nikon ED. I also had the opportunity to compare a different unit of the Nikon to a Razor 50mm, and definitely liked the Nikon better. Vortex has the best warranty, Nikon's is allegedly good, don't know anything about the Opticron.

In my book, the best compromise in weight vs quality of image is the Nikon 60mm Fieldscope ED. Although the "all body" focusing ring makes it more difficult to focus while holding the body still, nor does it stick out like focusing knobs just asking to be bent or plumb broke off (I've seen a Vortex 65mm knob bent when a horse banged its head into a guy's pack).

65mmm:
The Leica is my fav, but their warranty is hit and miss, and any significant repair requires a trip back to the motherland via slow boat. The Swaro and Ziess are a close second,the Swaro has a superb warranty and has a full blown repair facility in the States. The Leica has the dual focusing knobs recessed into the body--the best of both worlds. The Swaro has the focusing ring, Zeiss the knobs.

The Razor HD and the Vanguard Endeavor are, well,...good. The Vanguard can be had for $450 currently. We know the Vortex warranty, haven't heard anything about the Vanguard warranty.

In other words, all it takes is money.........

The problem is, once we get to spend some time looking through those breathtakingly expensive optics, the others aren't as much fun to look through. So if you don't look through anything costing more than $1200, a guy can be a lot happier with the others..... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Luke-Get a Diascope 65mm FL and use the eye piece between your spotters.

If I did that than I am afraid my 85 mm would become obsolete wink. As 56x and a 65mm scope would be tough to beat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.