Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've emailed them and the guy that answered me thought it was a good idea but nothing has ever happened. This would be the perfect load for the lead free areas. The only thing I can think of is they don't want to compete again the Remington 140 core lock. (Remington owns Barnes I think) Their 120 is great but I think the 140 for bigger stuff would be super.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ummmm.... Do you mean a loaded cartridge or a bullet? Cuz there's this thing called reloading...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Velocity constraints?

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Because at 78 I have gotten rid of all my reloading equipment so only shoot factory shells anymore as I thought I was done hunting when I lost the sight in my right eye. Discovered LH rifles and back to hunting again.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Keep in mind that the barnes run longer than than lead core bullets. Longer bullets eat up powder space and can lower velocities. Could be barnes is not happy with performance of the 140s at the speed they can get comfortable. Also the 140 barnes is on the heavy side construction wise for typical 7mm08 game. Pretty much any monometal bullet allows you to step down a bit in weight and have similar if not better performance that the heavy bullets. I agree there are time that a heavier bullet has its place in the 7mm08. But too much of niche market for a ammo maker to cater to. They need to offer loads that are going to perform under the most typical conditions they will be used in.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I hear what you are saying but look how many manufactures make 7mm-08 loads up to 162 grains. I'm of the old school that weight in motion stays in motion. I see members using the 120 Barns for Elk which must be working for them but my preference is a heavier non lead bullet. Daughter is currently using the Hornaday 139 Grain GMX and has taken both Bucks she has shot at with them. In my early years of Gunsmithing I met Fred at his place and what a trip thst was so I have always had an affinity for his bullets. I'd like to hear from somebody that is using the 140 in their 7-08 and see what velocity they are getting out of it.

Last edited by coyote268; 11/20/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strange, Federal used to load a 140gr TSX load for the 7mm-08. I bought a case of it when I lived in Germany and couldn't reload. Maybe you can find some old stock. It is still good as my brother in law used some this week deer hunting. The code is P708C. And the 140gr bullet gets more than 2800fps from several of my rifles. The 140gr works just fine in the 7-08.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their old XFBs in the 140 weight were a fine bullet and worked very well on caribou and even moose. I know the original bullet with the fuller ogive (more meat up front) expanded better and more consistently than the XBTs and later XFBs with their sleeker ogives. I got very good (immediate) kills with those 140 XFBs and never recovered one. The later TSX kept the sleeker ogive and, even when driven at the speeds one can get with the 120 weights, it doesn't expand nearly as well. The only X bullets of current production that I'd run in my 7mm-08 would be the tipped ones. That 140 TTSX is going to be pretty deep (inside the case) due to the grooves and the extra length at the tip.

Double Tap does offer ammo loaded with the 140 TTSX BTW, @ 2850 fps in 22". However, it runs $2.70 a pop if you can stomach that.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 11/20/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not trying to argue the point, but I've seen the 140gr TSX open quite well at 7-08 speeds, from coyotes to Mnt goats. Maybe there were differences in annealing of certain lots and some did expand better than others, but the lot of TSXs I used expanded well enough. I never actually caught one, but all caused major damage and nice exits.

That said, I do prefer the 120gr TTSX in the 7-08 and now use my 140gr TSX in the 7mmSAUM.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

First time out with 120 TSXs and TTSXs..caribou....<200 yards. Didn't catch the TTs which were quite evidently expanding, but this TSX was shooting very tiny groups. Does that count?

[Linked Image]

I like 'em well-peeled and open (like this ^ XFB). Seems you don't find 'em in animals that are still standing around when they use what they have. So many of them (the slender ogived ones) seem to have a lot of cavity left unused inside.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by coyote268
Because at 78 I have gotten rid of all my reloading equipment so only shoot factory shells anymore as I thought I was done hunting when I lost the sight in my right eye. Discovered LH rifles and back to hunting again.

Where there's a will, there's a way, good on ya coyote. If you want some 140's loaded up, let me know, I'll be happy to do it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the offer smokepole. I have a 7 mag for bigger stuff but thought it would be great to have some 140's for the 7-08 as I love to shoot it. Don't do Elk any more but my Daughter Sandi lovers her 7-08 over her 7 mag so I was really also looking for her as well as I can't get the 7-08 out of her hands. Boy, does she love that rifle and she keeps putting in for the Elk draw here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My one experience with the 140 TTSX on game was this year's mule deer. My handload runs around 2850 out of a 22-inch barrel and hits out to 200 alongside the usual load with 139 grain Interlocks. It worked at 290 yards like I'd expect any decent hunting bullet to work when placed thru the heart and lungs.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Their 120 is great but I think the 140 for bigger stuff would be super.

Respectfully, I am wondering what the logic is for wanting the 140 grain in the 7mm-08? Not trying to pick a fight. Just trying to understand if it comes from people applying the old "heavier lead penetrates deeper" logic or if it is something else?
I shot another cow this year with the 120 ttsx and had complete pass through. What would the 140 do different? She walked 30 yards and put all 4 feet straight up in the air.
The 140 doesn't open any larger and it may have a little better bc but not really a factor in less than 400 yard shots.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think 140 gr is borderline too heavy in a copper bullet at 7-08 velocities except at very close range. With copper bullets the 120's will penetrate just as deep as 140's. But once velocity drops below 2000-2200 fps you get very little expansion and 2500 fps is even better. At least with 30 cal and smaller bullets.

Also, copper will retain 100% of its weight at impact. The 120 copper bullets will still weigh 120 gr after they hit game. A 140 gr conventional jacketed lead bullet will do good to still weigh 100 gr after impact.

A good rule of thumb is to start them as close to 3000 fps at the muzzle as possible even if you have to drop down in bullet weight. The 140's would be a good choice in a 7 mag. 120's are a better option even on larger game from a 7-08, at least in my opinion

Typical copper bullets at varying impact speeds

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Their 120 is great but I think the 140 for bigger stuff would be super.

Respectfully, I am wondering what the logic is for wanting the 140 grain in the 7mm-08?

I wouldn't choose the 120 for heavier big game and even the 140 is perhaps kind of light, at least at 7mm-08 speeds. I know I never had trouble shooting through caribou at various angles and distances with 140s, where a 120 with a jacked load of RL 15 failed to push through at a very moderate distance the first tie I tried them. Expansion was nothing to brag about either. (See the photo above.) Choosing stuff that will work when conditions are closer to ideal and hoping they will work as well under all conditions is a recipe for bitter tea IMO.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 11/21/15. Reason: "work"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hear what you are saying but look how many manufactures make 7mm-08 loads up to 162 grains. I'm of the old school that weight in motion stays in motion. I see members using the 120 Barns for Elk which must be working for them but my preference is a heavier non lead bullet. Daughter is currently using the Hornaday 139 Grain GMX and has taken both Bucks she has shot at with them. In my early years of Gunsmithing I met Fred at his place and what a trip thst was so I have always had an affinity for his bullets. I'd like to hear from somebody that is using the 140 in their 7-08 and see what velocity they are getting out of it.

Weight does stay in motion. But since Barnes often looses nothing, thats why they take a step down.
120 retains as much or even mroe than cup and core 140 generally.

Unless you are of the mind to use 160ish cup and core to start with... or so on.

The hornady and nosler versions and a couple of others are all barnes X under a different name so to speak. Using the same technology.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They pay guys thousands of dollars a year to tell them what to offer for sale. Obviously, those guys don't thnk there's enough money in the idea. Get some pals to start pounding them with letters and emails.

You can get a Lee Loader for about $30 and a cheap e-scale and hand trimmer won't add much to the tab. Wouldn't take many boxes to pay for the investment.

Or just buy somebody else's similar stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My only Barnes manual, number 3, lists 19 powders for the 7mm-08 with 140 grain bullets; four loads are over 2800 fps. I shoot a 7mm Mauser and it prefers the 150 grain TSX but they both expand well. What this post suggests is that you can use whatever Barnes X bullet you like. You can't let velocity drop too far, but in my experience the bullets work just fine at 7mm-08 velocities at normal game ranges. Have a friend load some ammo for you.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Strange, Federal used to load a 140gr TSX load for the 7mm-08. I bought a case of it when I lived in Germany and couldn't reload. Maybe you can find some old stock. It is still good as my brother in law used some this week deer hunting. The code is P708C. And the 140gr bullet gets more than 2800fps from several of my rifles. The 140gr works just fine in the 7-08.

The old stock Federal premium ammo is the first thing I look for when I find a (new to me) old gun store. I am using old stock Federal 100 gr. TSX in my 25-06 because it is more accurate than any factory or reload I tried.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

The old stock Federal premium ammo is the first thing I look for when I find a (new to me) old gun store. I am using old stock Federal 100 gr. TSX in my 25-06 because it is more accurate than any factory or reload I tried.

Yeah, the Federal 140gr TSX have been as accurate and fast as any of my reloads. It's very good ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 7mm_Tortilla
My only Barnes manual, number 3, lists 19 powders for the 7mm-08 with 140 grain bullets; four loads are over 2800 fps. I shoot a 7mm Mauser and it prefers the 150 grain TSX but they both expand well. What this post suggests is that you can use whatever Barnes X bullet you like. You can't let velocity drop too far, but in my experience the bullets work just fine at 7mm-08 velocities at normal game ranges. Have a friend load some ammo for you.

Having shot stuff at speeds lower than they suggest more than a few times due to taking longer than average shots, my success with slow barnes is still 100% like it is with fast barnes... FWIW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

And here, in the middle of the posts is your own answer, look no furhter, find a case of that and keep on going. No stress, no mess, same performance etc...

That or you are going to have to reload... plain and simple, as noted a lee loader is cheap, works, takes up no room.

No room left for complaints.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
coyote268,

The 120 will work fine on elk. Buy some.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My Dad and last years Bull. 7mm-08 and 120 TSX's. No Problemo.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice bull! I like that one!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

[Linked Image]

Nice bull! How did the 120 do as far as penetration? Obviously enough, just curious if it made two holes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have killed two bulls with the 120 TTSX in my 7mm-08. The first was just over 200 yards and complete pass thru, bull went 10 yards and fell over with shredded lungs. The second bull was at 45 yards, took a round right thru the onside shoulder busting the joint, passed thru busted the offside shoulder joint, and lodged under the hide. A 2nd shot on that bull passed thru the lungs and into the tree behind the bull. It is a true performer on elk and I would never hesitate to use it.

I have also killed, bighorn sheep, deer, and antelope with this same rifle and ammo combo.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

[Linked Image]

Nice bull! How did the 120 do as far as penetration? Obviously enough, just curious if it made two holes.

Bullets were recovered under the hide on the off side. Deer will catch them if you hit shoulder.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How far was the shot?

Where did the bullet hit?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
How far was the shot?

Where did the bullet hit?

P

The shot was close. Inside 75 yds. He crawled in on the herd and then just had to stand up and shoot the bull off hand. He hit him in the shoulder with the first shot and put him right down. Then added a couple more as he continued to flounder and attempt to rise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.