Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I tried searching for a while, but couldn't come up with much. I deer hunt in northern Michigan and usually wear a face mask or balaclava most of the time. The problem I have is my binoculars fogging up as I'm looking through them. This happens due to my warm breath. They do "unfog" after a minute or so, but its so annoying, that I don't use the binos as often as I probably should. I've tried holding my breath some, putting anti-fog on the lenses, etc..., but nothing seems to work effectively. How do you guys that hunt in the cold make this work? If it matters, I don't wear any glasses when hunting.

Thanks.

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
toothpaste. wipe on, wipe off. whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep them inside your coat, if they are warm when you pull them out your breath won't condense on them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've tried two products that seem to help quite a bit with this. One is Fog Zero and the other is Clarity DeFog-it. Both are safe for sport optics.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Toothpaste usually contains an abrasive. May be harmless as a defogging agent but I would avoid it because there are safer, liquid based defogging concoctions available. Dive shops usually have one or two products on the shelf.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sage advise. I would never use anything abrasive on coated optics

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dawn dish soap.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, Dawn will help, as will several commericial equivalents, some of which may be repackaged Dawn. But they also tend to compromise the optics slightly. This happens because the added layer doesn't function like another lens coating. Instead it tends to scatter light.

Other than not breathing on your binoculars, the best solution is to buy binoculars with a built-in moisture-resistant lens coating. Some older coatings had the same disadvantage as Dawn or other liquid coatings, but the recent built-in coatings don't compromise the view, since they're engineered to work with the other lens coatings. Bushnell's Rainguard is a good example.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, Dawn will help, as will several commericial equivalents, some of which may be repackaged Dawn. But they also tend to compromise the optics slightly. This happens because the added layer doesn't function like another lens coating. Instead it tends to scatter light.

Other than not breathing on your binoculars, the best solution is to buy binoculars with a built-in moisture-resistant lens coating. Some older coatings had the same disadvantage as Dawn or other liquid coatings, but the recent built-in coatings don't compromise the view, since they're engineered to work with the other lens coatings. Bushnell's Rainguard is a good example.

Mule Deer,

How would classify Rain-X? More in the Dawn or in the Rainguard camp?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I've tried two products that seem to help quite a bit with this. One is Fog Zero and the other is Clarity DeFog-it. Both are safe for sport optics.

Clarity De Fog it is hands down the best I've used.

I put it on glasses and SCBA masks at teh fire dept and goggles... we fog up quick in fire situations... its the only thing that comes close to being reliable.... A shame its as high as it is, but I"m going to buy another 50 or so dollars worth of it shortly... running low.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rost495

Clarity De Fog it is hands down the best I've used.

I took this advice and so far it seems to be good to go.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the rubber eyecups (if present) are extended fold them down and get a cold air space between your eyes and the glass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rain-X is more is the melt your lens coatings off group.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Rain-X is more is the melt your lens coatings off group.

Yikes!

Did this happen to your optics?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Groovin61
I tried searching for a while, but couldn't come up with much. I deer hunt in northern Michigan and usually wear a face mask or balaclava most of the time. The problem I have is my binoculars fogging up as I'm looking through them. This happens due to my warm breath. They do "unfog" after a minute or so, but its so annoying, that I don't use the binos as often as I probably should. I've tried holding my breath some, putting anti-fog on the lenses, etc..., but nothing seems to work effectively. How do you guys that hunt in the cold make this work? If it matters, I don't wear any glasses when hunting.

Thanks.

Don't wear a balaclava while you're glassing.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No. Rain-X though is not safe for coated optics. Says so right on the bottle.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No. Rain-X though is not safe for coated optics. Says so right on the bottle.

OK. Thanks.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For glassing in the cold and dealing with breath, you pretty much just have to learn a conscious habit of blowing down and away on the exhale. You can't just let the warm breath float around your face. Blow it out and down, away from you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fogging? You need to stop watching things through the neighbor's windows for a starter.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No problem with that here. Neighbor has a figure like Humpty Dumpty.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 3,295 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.