Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently got together for a tasting session with a bunch of guys from all around the country to sample some mighty fine sippin' stuff.Pretty cool. One guy flew in from San Francisco and got the long distance award.Fun time by all with 16 plus wives & GFs in attendance.Almost 60 bottles of midnight likker on the table and on the floor with a good sampling of bourbons,scotch, shine and brandies present .

Black Walnut brandy stole the show. OMG ! Like drinking liquid black walnuts with a slight sweetness attached. Dude really should market his skills.

Small world as my old hunting camp in Pa. is only about 15 miles from where we met.

Wish some of you could have been there.

[Linked Image]

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Black walnuts are kind of like blue cheese, people either love them or hate them. I for one love them and have been harvesting them from my grandfathers (now my mom's) farm since I was old enough to walk. I'd love to send you some whole in the shell Denny, but you have me on ignore so I doubt you'll ever see the offer. wink

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Search dio palinka

They are just immature walnuts, with the green stuff still around them. Just read some articles on Dutch and Flemish walnut liquere making. And they say the walnuts should be picked before June 22 while they are STILL GREEN AND STILL IN THEIR OUTER HULLS and need to be macerated before fermenting prior to the distillation process. Results in a very subtle flavor.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yet another skill that I'd love to master. A friend down in Boca Raton has the home distlilation thing nailed. Just recently, I was sampling some of his Mango liquor.

Sam......

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Given the wonderful selection of fruits where you live it may be a good fit for you as well as having a mentor close at hand.

Brandies, infusions, macerations YUM !

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I already make Limoncello, with the Meyer Lemons from my tree. What I need to do, and we have discussed this to some extent, is to make a still, and learn how to use it.
Anyone can buy Vodka and soak lemon peels, but I want to make my own spirits.

Sam......

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Then you want make brandy.

Don't discount "soaking" as making a true neutral spirit isn't as easy as it sounds.

Simple but not easy as it takes a few turns at the wheel.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A friend that brews beer talks about wild yeast, methanol hazard with distilling.

And, any secret is now, "Out of the Bag".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeasts are everywhere.Methanol hazard with distilling is a non issue with proper protocol.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Black walnuts are kind of like blue cheese, people either love them or hate them. I for one love them and have been harvesting them from my grandfathers (now my mom's) farm since I was old enough to walk. I'd love to send you some whole in the shell Denny, but you have me on ignore so I doubt you'll ever see the offer. wink

Mike

Don't feel pregnant. wink

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I already make Limoncello, with the Meyer Lemons from my tree. What I need to do, and we have discussed this to some extent, is to make a still, and learn how to use it.

Sam,

This is high on my list, though gin of course. A length of my pickled asparagus (just opened the first jar last week) and I will have close to a home made martini. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got 2 friends that really make some great homemade beer. Both of them have their favorite styles, which aren't Pilsners.

I prefer both of their Pils. Very similar to Czech Pilsners I've had. Very smooth. Better than Urquell. Not bitter, like German Pils. More like Staropramen, Gambrinus or Kozel. Good stuff.

They are both completely anal with their ingredients, measurements, sterility, and process.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sam, the friend I got the Sausage & Herb stuffing from makes Limoncello, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon

And, any secret is now, "Out of the Bag".

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/

Please open the link above and do some reading. Hopefully you will make an informed decision in favor of a fun,wholesome,rewarding hobby and contact your lawmaker.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Best I've had this year by far was blackberry, made right here in the mountains of Southwest Virginia.
But this 'black walnut' product is intriguing I must say. I've an ample supply of producing trees. Just may have to speak with some local producers. whistle

FJB & FJT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.