Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'll be down for the opener Monday. Hoping to get some venison for my sister down there. She likes it,but doesn't hunt. Nuttin like combining a visit with some deer hunting. I'll only be there a couple days,so maybe luck will smile on me. Any other fire members headed out for the rifle opener?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me, at least. I ground up the next-to-last pack of venison yesterday and had a couple of burgers. Got to fill that freezer up again.

It's going to be about 25 or so Monday morning; just about perfect.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Yeah,the weather looks pretty good for the first couple days. I'm looking forward to some different scenery.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sons have been hunting in nearby Warren County, VA and not much has been moving. Yesterday, however, the older one rattled in a nice 8-point and broke the ice. He came stomping in with fire in his eyes, looking for a fight, so I guess the rut is finally/still on.

I hunted Adams County, PA for many years up until 1994. It used to be Pheasant Heaven in the '60s and up until the early '80s when the farming practices changed. Pretty much put and take now, I think. We had a good run though. Did real well on deer on a friend's farm just outside of Gettysburg too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm driving up tomorrow to Monroe County. Weather's looking great for the opener. Good luck fellas.

IC B2

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Sis lives up Volga way. Due to her limited space,I'll be camped in town (Buckhannon). Planning on hunting south of there about 30 miles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be in Hampshire County setting up "camp" Sunday. Hunting two weeks straight. First week we hunt as a club and put on large scale organized deer drives. Second week we have only 4-6 hunters so we work smaller tracks that hadn't been pushed the week before. Watching fields in the evenings.

As a club we generally lay em down pretty good.

Last edited by woodson; 11/21/15.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Sounds like a hoot. I miss the old school drives. Since the family has aged and gotten smaller,we don't do drives anymore. Pretty cool woodson.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Hunting Randolph County again. I had to scout a new area this year. I lost my private land arrangement and had 2 or 3 weeks to find a new area. The old place was getting cramped so.... Last I looked the forecast was for 16* Monday morning with clear weather. Looking forward to being out again. Have a great day out there guys.
Just checked, now they're saying 13* - a bit nippy.

Last edited by OldRooster; 11/21/15.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Best of luck to you guys in WV... I used to do a lot of hunting there in the 90' and early years of this century..
Had some great times there and killed a pile of deer.. The areas we hunted are mostly subdivided now.. Some of my old friends are gone and others too old to chase any more..

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
13? That's getting pretty close to cold for us Eastern types. The deer ought to be on the move looking for sunshine though.

My late brother and I once endured a really windy 10* day in PA in hopes of hanging a doe. Easily the most miserable day I've ever spent afield. Never saw a hair.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Pappy, year before last it was 8* up here opening day. Thankfully there was no wind. The rut has been spotty so far so maybe colder temps will help kick things in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We hunted nearby in Mineral County from '94 to 2011. Lots of deer, if a bit small, and plenty of bucks too. Both my sons killed their first deer there. My friend sold his land, and while he still lives on the property as part of the sales contract, the new owner decided to restrict the hunting to his family. Now I'm hunting public land close to home, which is okay, but I do miss the camp-like atmosphere we had staying at my friend's place.

Then again, after hunting all day, taking a hot shower and crawling into your own bed with your own woman after a good meal ain't so bad.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Heading to Jackson county (Staats Mills) after church and Sunday school. Good luck to all and safe hunting. I've hunted in Lewis, Ritchie, and counties.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in Central WV and will be hunting here all week. Here, the rut and season opener are about as good as it gets. The bucks just started chasing within the last week.

It's been a good morning here so far, I've seen my first snow flurries of the year and a 120 class buck was bedded in the meadow behind the house this morning; for those that will laugh, it only takes a 130 class buck to make the WV Hall of Fame, lol.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck to all you West By God Virginny ridge runners. The guys in the camp next to us up in Pennsylvania were from West Virginia. Good hunters and great guys, every one. They took their deer up on top of the mountain on a gas line, all at long range. They missed a few, but man, did they take some deer on some impressive shots. The two guys that went up there carried sporterized Springfields that they handloaded for. They made a couple kills up there at well over 300 yards. Sadly, they're all gone now, and the camp has changed hands. All our original guys are gone too.

Good luck boys. May the wind be in your face, the sun at your back, and a big buck coming down the trail.

Last edited by gophergunner; 11/22/15.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see that sort of sophisticated weaponry around here; mostly Marlins, 742s and the like. Couple years back one young feller was packing a scoped SKS complete with bayonet.

Off to finish up my last-minute prep for the morning. Good luck to all and stay safe.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I just got the truck loaded up, getting read your on head Tom edit and wake up early! I'll be in Marshall County tomorrow morning, I saw some real nice bucks down there during archery season, I'm hoping one of them shows themselves in the morning- although I won't pass up a shot at a doe tomorrow, either...it was a long archery season for me!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ready to turn in. Have a great day guys.
BTW no antlerless in Randolph this year unless you won in a small lottery. Oh well

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Well? How'd everyone do? It was coolllldd when I got out of the truck this morning, but the deer were moving- I think I saw a total of 10 does, and 3 bucks- the last one I killed, I'll try to post a picture below. Seemed like there were a lot of guys in the woods today, but not too many deer got killed, though. I actually killed this one a little after 8, had it gutted and a drag on it by 8:30...got it back to the truck at 3:10! It was one death drag, but well worth it!

Darn file was too big to add the picture! I'll work on getting that up later.

Last edited by JustinL1; 11/23/15. Reason: Pictures...ugh.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.